A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sounds like Flash MX is still a beta release

With all these bugs, Is Flash MX is still a beta release

For those who bought it early, sorry - looks like with all these bugs, MM released a beta instead of a fully functional program.

I'll bet their beta team is devouring this board to get more feedback on what to address in a soon-to-be-released patch, much like microsh|ft does.

This is shoddy business practice, releasing product that has lots of problems.

Does someone from Macromedia care to post an answer here? We know you're reading these threads, guys. It doesn't do much for MM's credibility or customer service reputation to have these issues floating around, so far the MX complaint list has the following:

-memory leaks
    -size import problems with dreamweaver
    -generator/outlook not supported
    -and dozens of other bugs, on these threads ..

I get tired of big software shops releasing semi-tested products out to meet a launch date that aren't "firm" releases.

How does everyone feel about this? Shouldn't MM have been more responsible, vs dumping problematic code out for the public to test, at their expense?

The smaller companies, everyone would be issuing chargebacks against the credit cards for releases if they were as buggy as these.

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

I know what you're saying,
    but I can't find too much fault with the software,
    only having a little trouble with embedding fonts in a dynamically created textfield (if I select to embed my scroller doesn't activate)
    but other than that it's not too bad.
    In any case, I'd definitely rather have it and play with some of the cool new features, sooner rather than later.

Well... what'd you expect. They redesigned it again!! Jeez... couldn't they stop it already. From Flash 3 to Flash 6 (ahh... MX), they completely redesigned it. It's bound to have some errors, they'll prolly release a patch for it soon or whateve.

Don't get me wrong, i love what they did with MX, just i don't want to have to keep on relearning Flash everytime there's a new release (one of my favorite parts though). That's why for now, i'm still gonna stick with Flash 5 incase i got to do anything. Got bored of Flash, don't use it much so i'm not gonna go in depth in MX.

all I can say , is wow.. bugs r us city..

Thanks for documenting all your workarounds, flash folks.. gee it's too bad MM didn't do this themselves Before selling it/releasing it.

I'll wait for a patch, likely 2-3 months, to address all of the many bugs and failures you are all documenting in MX.

The list of bugs is growing ... and MM should rebate something to you guys for being their "post release beta testers" a la microsoft ..

Not to whine, eg the new features sound "ok", but all the bugs mean, I'll wait awhile before buying.

How many people agree, MM should've done a better job of beta testing this puppy before releasing it? And that they should rebate like $50+ to each of you for "testing" their buggy release?

Re: all I can say , is wow.. bugs r us city..

Originally posted by alohaha

How many people agree, MM should've done a better job of beta testing this puppy before releasing it? And that they should rebate like $50+ to each of you for "testing" their buggy release?
    Im sorry - but what a cock of sh**t. Do you have any idea the kind of effort that goes into debugging a new software release? And what is the deal with people always *****ing about updates. So what. Most serious developers are online 24hours a day. Is it honestly so hard to download a 2meg update. It is as far as i am concerned totally impossible to release bug free software. Developers around the world should just wake up and accept patches and updates. For petes sake- its not the end of the world.

Three Cheers for Macromedia on the release of another brilliant version of potentially the best web development tool in the history of the the internet.

end of the financial / tax year next month - coincidence ??

I was on the beta test team for the MX software package. A large reason it was released when it was (with known errors) was because the Flash Community as a whole requested it to be so. YOU, the users, were so insatiable in your requests to get the new software that in an attempt to pacify the masses, MM released an advanced beta version rather than a final release copy.

I'm not sure that was the reasoning behind it as MM doesn't clue me in to their business practices, but after reading through a lot of the older message boards -- There was such a demand for the new Flash that they couldn't possibly wait until the debug process was 100% complete.

Flash 6 now at 90% is better than Flash 6 in 3 months at 100% seemed to be the general consensus.

Spyder

Brian Monnone
    I COMPLETELY agreee with bennybravo. MM did a fine job getting this thing cranked out. I couldn't wait to get it. I'm glad they released now...if it has some bugs, then they'll be fixed, after all downloading a several meg patch is nothing. Hell I bought my 45 meg copy online and downloaded it....again, not the end of the world....and look at it like this: IF MM did release a beta version to the world to get feedback...then OH WELL! Don't you think that if thousands of people using the software were to report the problems they are having, that it would be quicker than anything that MM can beta on their own?? Think not...This is all speculation that MM did release MX knowing it may have problems....

my two cents

- Sigma

Updates = bugs <= more features

The new features in FMX far outway the initial bugs that are found and fixed. Yes there will be a patch. I don't know if it is what I have come to expect, but I know a very few is any software company that releases a new software that is bug free in every machine. The diverse situations that Flash has to run on is huge.

No software product is free of bugs (Maybe some console games)

You can say what ever you want ... I have a lot fun with it! (Like with console games)

Fredi

Why are people buying the full product before testing it anyway? have you guys never heard of a 30 day free trial?

you download it, spend 30 days playing with it and download it if you like it. I can't believe people have already payed for it.

MM have done a fine job in my opinion

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Originally posted by jonhobbs
    I can't believe people have already payed for it.
    Thats a really funny thought, and thats all i have to say

I bought mine the second it came out

Granted some of the new features of MX give the app some new potential that is nothing short of amazing, but answer me one question:

how can a company as big and experienced as MM spend 2 years on a new version produce a piece of software with so many bugs, a lot of which would seem to be simple oversight in the testing stage and wouldn't seem to take much to fix (emphasis on seem cos I don't know)?

It stinks of being pushed out early. I think the new version offers some great new features and I'm thrilled to have the oppertunity to play with them but some of the 'unexpected' things this piece of software has done so far is nothing short of infuriating.

Thumbs down thx for the comments..

Appreciate the supportive posts.. good to know re demand from user base pushed out early beta release vs 'hard' code version..

Big picture, I'm a fan of MM, I use all their programs, dreamweaver, flash, fireworks, they have great stuff.. I enjoy their products and use them daily, they're the heart of how I make a living online etc. So, I'm *very* happy with MM's final-release products.

But, in reading all the posts on this thread, one has to wonder, isn't it frustrating to all of you to have a shiny new toy that causes frustration?

I hope the MM team can come up with a series of patches to fix all the bugs that have been listed in these threads asap to help with this.

Being a responsible software developer means, addressing your customer's needs with products that are not heavily flawed.

Releasing a for-sale $500 program with all the bugs you folks are posting, is irresponsible software development practice imho.

Just because MSFT releases a ton of buggy o/s's needing monthly security patches etc doesnt mean it's a good idea for everyone to accept this as industry-standard practice, eg "ok I'll take a program that's 80% finished and live with a ton of bugs, vs waiting 2 months for 98% firm code" that's been well-tested.

I hope that great new outfits like wildform take up the slack and continue to generate solid software that works the first time. If only MM could do the same. Gee they likely have 100x as many programmers. Releasing "oops we missed that" software is not a way to build market share.
    [Edited by alohaha on 03-20-2002 at 08:33 PM]

Right on the money!

Originally posted by swampy
    end of the financial / tax year next month - coincidence ??

I think this pretty much sums it up folks! With the bad year that every company has had, MM had to do something.

Originally posted by jonhobbs
    Why are people buying the full product before testing it anyway? have you guys never heard of a 30 day free trial?

I can't believe people have already payed for it.

My understanding was that it's foundation was in Flash 5, and I (stuck in flash 4) was planning on purchasing 5 the very day they announced the release.

Please, the new features alone were enough to warrant the upgrade price.

It's not an operating system. Which programs don't have bugs? If they patch them then they'll be more responsible than most of the rest of them out there.

FK Official Postman
    I take it that everyone verlooked NetSpyder101's post?

No, I didn't test MX, but even I could tell on FK that everyone was so anxious that in order to please the masses...

If there's a bug, you can report it to MM usign the bug form on their site.

I haven't had any substantial problems with the program yet. I use all the MM products except Director and Homesite and I have always found little bugs here and there with all the applications. I also have issue's with photoshop and many other programs. I don't think that its 100% acceptable to just accept bugs, however when you want a product and you want it now! Then this something that you have to just work around. They will come out with patches and people will find new so called 'bugs'. Its part of the cycle and I'm just happy to explore the new features.

If I had 1 complaint, it would be that I feel I have learn this program all over again instead of just expanding upon current understanding. But I guess thats because the community asked for so many huge changes!!

(sarcasm)
    Yes, I'm sure the folks at Macromedia spent all day lollygagging around playing darts, shooting pool, doing shots and challenging each other to Quake III deathmatches.

They did absolutely no work regarding user interface, where there are potentially thousands of things that can go wrong.

They did absolutely no work regarding the use of video, actionscript and plug-in compatibility with the browsers already on the market.

There is absolutely no documentation, information, tutorials, or support on Macromedia's website regarding some of the complex new features of their product.

This is just a 'minor' update to Flash. There's no excuse for it to be released at 100% perfect with the developer community pestering them every five minutes.
    (/sarcasm)
    Considering how long it's been since the LAST update to Flash, MM couldn't very well sit around for another year or 6 months with no no product, updates or announcements and expect Flash to foster it's own use and growth on the web.

I can accept a few bugs. I'm mostly an Adobe user (despite the various cool features of Freehand that aren't in Illustrator, the interface's COUNTERINTUITIVE design blows it for me). I'm glad to see they at least made a selected point on a vector line FILLED instead of open. But don't get me started on MM drawing tools. I also prefer a Mac to PC....

But I hope that one of the issues that is just a bug is the even more infuriating behavior of keyframes in MX. Granted, I juststarted using Flash, but MM could benefit just a little bit by adapting some concepts from AfterEffects, a program which has a completely INTUITIVE timeline. I opened up my test copy of MX and started playing, and this thing makes new kepframes EVERY time I drag a frame left or right, or it drags right over another set of frames.

.... my 3 cents