A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash MX is a waste of time!!

PC, P4, 640M RAM, 1.3GHz....no problems yet

Only problem for me is not enough time to figure out all the new ****!

Brian Monnone
    Ok, I have one for you guys....let me say that I like MX but have really only two complaints:

1) When I import an MP3 then choose not to used the original compression of the MP3 in the properties of that MP3 then the FLA suddenly jumps to an outragous size....I had one that blew up to 40 MEGS! All I had in it was simple animation and ONE MP3 file (was just testing MX out).

2) Video exporting: I have tried to link a QT movie in MX with NO success. Maybe I am doing somehting wrong, but I've read the guide on this and feel like I'm doing it right. Anyway, it just will not work! Also, the documentation says that QT CAN play MX files when exporting to a QT movie, but it doesn't...what gives?

If anybody has some insite on this PLEASE let me know! I really wnat to get this video worked out!

I'm running an Athlon 1800+, 1.2 ghz RAM, Geforce3, blah, blah, blah...

- Sigma

QuickTime

About the compatibility between Flash and QuickTime.
    If you export a flash movie as .mov, you must pay attention the the actionscripting, because what QuickTime can handle is very simple code, I don't know actually where you can find a reference for this, but I just happened to make buttons work.

Probably a future release of QuickTime will improve this task.

As to loading movies at runtime I think there is an example bundled with FlashMX.

For the MP3 compression, I've had problems with Flash5 to, like there was no way to get custom compression for every file in the library, as the general settings would override the rest anyway.

Brian Monnone
    Thanks! I'll look at that info again...

- Sigma

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

yeah regarding quicktime

qt 4 supports only Flash 3 actions,
    qt 5 supports Flash 4 actions...
    it's quite limiting, but at least with quicktime 5 you can have variables.
    Another thing to consider is that the Flash layer in quicktime has always been really buggy. Like sometimes the handcursor shows up on a button, sometimes it doesn't,
    sometimes you'll have to click a button 3 or 4 times to get it to execute it's action. Things like that. Its a bit of a pain, not that stable IMO.

The flushing library items definitely happened in Flash 5 too.
    I had a 30MB file that should have been 4MB without it's 2 big mp3's, I removed them to send it via email to a co-worker, and the file stayed the same size... dirty.

Any "bugs" I've been having have been entirely my own fault, just in getting used the order in which script must be written to get some of the new textField formatting tricks to work... just takes some adjustment.
    No other bugs to report.

Loving the new features though, especially video. The only beef I have with that is that if you import a video file and set it's export settings thats it.
    If you find the final file size to large, you have to get rid of the video and re-import it. Can't quite work that one out. Wouldn't have been to hard to make that more functional, surely.
    The video plays back really smooth, even while dragging it around (had a bit of a play with it yesterday).
    Really impressive.

(edit: video, NOT vodeo)

The ram optimization feature of Customizer XP seems to take care of the resource issue in a big way.. I found that when exporting an embedded movie my ram would drop down to almost nothing which would have crashed me for sure without Customizer doing it's thing. Workarounds suck.. but they keep me from getting mad while waiting for a patch!

SWiSH Forum
    FlaX FX Forum

Been there, done that!

There was a mem/resource problem with SWiSH 2 when used on win 98 and ME. Many people used memturbo II and that sorted it out, as long as users 'refreshed' the memory. Clearly there were many other mem managers that did the same thing.

However, win 2000 and later XP users did not have the same problems.

I have not have any probs, using XP with 1GIG RAM.

Originally posted by Squareball2
    Although it is sucking up a lot of my time cause i'm addicted to it
    Right on!! Me Too!

referring back to the memory leakage...

I am using win 98 and could you al tell me where I could get a program that fixes the memory leaking with the operating system as a whole?

thank you.

Originally posted by jhb
    referring back to the memory leakage...

I am using win 98 and could you al tell me where I could get a program that fixes the memory leaking with the operating system as a whole?

thank you.

I think this would work.
    http://www.sci.fi/~borg/rambooster/features.htm

Do a search online and im sure you'll find lot's (people have mentioned others in this thread too!)

I like Flash MX, but its to cramped. Everything else has me addicted (I'm still against prefabricated components)

Flash MX bugs!

*Flash 5 file saved as flash 5 in Flash MX fails to open in Flash 5
    *Using the Subsection tool to move bezier points have crashed my computer many times.
    *Memory depletion
    *Saved panelset doesn't always open. Also, doesn't remember the library
    *slower player

But the dynamic Jpeg and MP3 features are awesome.

i find mx to be a great improvement over F5... but i dislike the change of actionscript. since i know very little of it, i enjoyed the previous easy structure

Smile

But the structure is the same as in F5. It's just that they've added more methods and such and new toys

Oh every one.. you MUST go get that RamBooster program if you are having memory leak problems! This program solved it for me!! (and for all of my other programs as well) it's great!
    No more crashing all the time!

Originally posted by Squareball2
    But the structure is the same as in F5. It's just that they've added more methods and such and new toys

Oh every one.. you MUST go get that RamBooster program if you are having memory leak problems! This program solved it for me!! (and for all of my other programs as well) it's great!
    No more crashing all the time!
    i'll check it out! that happens to me too, my system CPU meter sometimes jumps around from 2% to 100% at random

The Library

The library pannel doesn't work because it's not a generic panel.
    Like in Flash5 you can open a library pannel for any file you want, simultaneously.
    That's why if you save a Library pannel in your pannel set it will not work.

I'm digging it

I've been using since it came out with no problems yet (knock on wood), this particular project will launch within the next 3 weeks, the client is one of those dream clients who understand the internet is still a baby amd so are the tools, so they opted to postpone launch to allow the flash elements to be built in Flash Mx (the native video support will add much to their intro).

I can understand frustration over bugs, but "waste of time", come on, the enhanced tools for drawing, improved interface and native video support alone warrant us giving the guys fueling our profession props.

and considering how much we get "paid to play" a $200 upgrade is perfectly reasonable

resolved the only memory leek i've seen...

people seem to think that Flash MX is a bug in the bassbin, but I've got to point out that if you were around for the upgrade from v4 - v5 you will notice that v6 is much the same thing again.

It's got a better interface, more functions and is definatly NOT a memory or processor pig! - I'm using a 400mhz celeron with 128mb of ram and have ZERO problems with it.

It's ridiiculous to see so many people deliberating on what is a nonsense statement to make in the first place... if you don't like it - don't use it! Flash 5 is still an excelletn product and aside from a few new functions I can do everything that 6 can do in other ways... it's actually aimed at guys who want to sit around and complain about things all day instead of getting down and doing some work!

Brian Monnone

Re: the only memory leek i've seen...

Originally posted by glenhsl
    ... it's actually aimed at guys who want to sit around and complain about things all day instead of getting down and doing some work!
    HAHA!! Nice...I love MX.

- Sigma

Re: the only memory leek i've seen...

Originally posted by glenhsl
    It's got a better interface, more functions and is definatly NOT a memory or processor pig! - I'm using a 400mhz celeron with 128mb of ram and have ZERO problems with it.

It's ridiiculous to see so many people deliberating on what is a nonsense statement to make in the first place... if you don't like it - don't use it! Flash 5 is still an excelletn product and aside from a few new functions I can do everything that 6 can do in other ways... it's actually aimed at guys who want to sit around and complain about things all day instead of getting down and doing some work!
    Hell yeah!