A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Mp3 Player

I'm not sure if flash mx is powerful enough to do this but is there a way to make a mp3 player? I want a swf file to load a mp3 file from my computer. Like winamp or something.
    I know that flash isn't designed to make this stuff but can it?

Thanks

M4a1Slug

YEAH IT CAN -- EASILY

Sure

I'm sure it's possible, you can use http://localhost or something like that to load the files from anywhere on a local drive, the problem is that there's no way to view the files, the person has to know the exact path to the file in order to open it, so it makes it very inconvenient for the user.

You can even create visual effects in flash. I have made a couple for the Mic input, but they're kinda slow when viewed on high quality and full screen.

I'm sure 50% of the people out there with FMX are trying to create their own MP3 player or video/voice chat application....maybe we'll see some tutorials soon.

Yeah, I've already made my crude, shiitty, proof of concept version for streaming mp3's from MP3.com for my friend's band. It's really easy. I'm starting to make a version with real controls (i.e. Rewind, Fast-Forw., Pause, etc). I might post it on here once i'm done with it. Let me know if u guys would be interested in seeing it.

P.S. I haven't actually tried to stream an mp3 off my harddrive, but i'm sure it would be just as easy.. you might have to make a catalog of the location of ur mp3's though... OR u could have all ur mp3's in the same directory, throw ur swf in that same directory, and have a textfield that u can type in the name of the file to play. I dont really know since my goal was to stream from a website.

Booyaah,

I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with. I'm trying to put together a Jukebox with CD covers.

I wouldn't mind a look at just the basic source. I couldn't get it working, the code wasn't throwing up any errors, but no sound was playing

I play MP3's from Flash using HTML-encoded text fields that launch the user's MP3 player, and would love to see what you've done with streaming MP3s natively in Flash. Are you playing them from the Flash file using the sound object? Do you need to link them beforehand, or can this now be done dynamically? Exciting stuff!!

you could convert your m3u playlist into xml -- there are a few applications out there that do this -- then load the playlist into Flash -- create a multidimensional array with all the data in it -- then dynamically load the mp3s -- they stream automatically. I am building an MP3 player for my site -- should have it done later today -- I'll post the code

It would be nice to peek at your FLA. Please include the XML when you post, if possible.

BTW -- we're still talking Flash MX here, right? I can't stream MP3s natively in Flash 5 as far as I know...

well-- you could use a conversion utility to convert your mp3's to swfs -- I think swifftools has one such utility -- but Flash mx can do the mp3 loads by itself

OK, that's what I needed to know. I've done little apps w/ Ming that convert images and MP3s to native .SWF, but my host won't enable PHP's ming extensions. Good news that MX can do that!

hey

Try do this:

Code:
    mySoundToLoad = "musics/ameno.mp3";

mySound = new Sound();
    mySound.loadSound("file:///C|/"+mySoundToLoad, false);
    mySound.start();
    I hope this help

Thanks, but is that MX code or F/5?

Originally posted by mbritton
    Thanks, but is that MX code or F/5?
    this is MX!

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

Moved to Sound and Music

from MX

Hey I built a cheesy mp3 player -- that loads an xml playlist externally and loads mp3 into Flash on the Fly -- there may be a few problems and some funk that is still happnin with it, but that will be easy to correct

http://home.earthlink.net/~cfanetti

well earthlink - in their infinite wisdom just cashed out my mp3's. Apparently they violate the TOS.

3 freakin mp3's - from cd's I bought

you'd think the RIAA has listening posts everywhere

---- slipknot's mp3 has been renamed -- so I guess it's safe -- I'll play with this more when I have more time

DOWN WITH THE DMCA!!!!!

yall- I'm telling you, our freedoms are eroding faster than the populace can suck down twinkies and milkshakes.

I am all for intellectual property, but not when it stifles legitimate development - and not when it is administered by a bot - that takes the letter of the law as God.

Think about the world around you for a second -- If you live in the US, the rest of the world hates you -- your children are undereducated and in delapidated schools, ol G.W. and his dad's chronies ( who are supposed to be supported without question in this time of crisis ) are handing over public resources to corporations, fighting wars without any checks and balances, spending billions on a missile defense plan that can't stop a 747 on a mission, and upping the tax burden on the middle class at alarming rates.

But we just got a tax cut right? -- not really, not unless you make a lot more money than Joe average. Yeah, you might have gotten a check for 600 - but what did you pay last year?

That check - was a snow job - it was like the increased choclate rations in George Orwell's 1984. Think about that book. We are slowly living that book.

War is Peace - We've got wars on Drugs, illiteracy, Crime, terrorism, global warm... oh wait, that doesn't exist.

Constant war keeps the middle class worrying that if we don't keep working, we'll evetually loose. This is just a distraction - to keep our minds off of the fact that the rich people are sucking money out of us and raping the world so they can have a house in the hamptons.

Think about this war on terrorism. For years the US has been taking a giant dump on the middle east. You don't believe me you say? Well I guess if CNN doesn't report it it must not be so. Where does the Israeli government get all its weapons? Who helped Saddam Hussein and the Al-Quaeda gain power? Who ignored Russia's requests to disban all nuclear arms ( so we could spend billions on Star Wars)?

Sorry about this rant, I know this is probably not the place for it, but the state of this country is reflected in so many things we do these days. Everybody sees the effects - never looking for causes.

again - sorry for being SO off topic, but a few KB about social change on this forum can't be all that bad, right?

Scott

My belief is that you should get used to the way things are. In an ideal world, sure, let's have social justice. In the real world, let's just try to keep the wackos under control before one of our major cities becomes a grease spot.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™

Use your mail if you want to chat about war, not here !!!