A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: If AOL drops Explorer, Web developers will need to adjust their one-browser mentality

Originally posted by Ed Mack
    Why not just follow W3C standards? Then it works for everyone. Also, if you hate Netscape, do you hate K-Meleon?
    I didn't say I hated any web browser. I just said that alternative browser companies would be wise to follow the standard that MS is setting. It will be benificial to ALL of us.

Señor Miembro
    Originally posted by clifgriffin
    NE6 is TERRIBLE about JavaScript. Half of the methods you use with NS4 won't work in NS6.
    Thank you.....

Not to mention EVERY method used to control flash. How is that they work with NS 4.x, but NOT with the new flagship NS 6???!!! How do you REMOVE features from you're new & improved browser?

A whole list that won't work in NS 6.

Just had to scrap a weeks worth of DHTML work because of NS's lack of support, and Macromedia's failure to document this lack of support.
    macromedia forum post

Quasi

Originally posted by Quasidandy
    NE6 is TERRIBLE about JavaScript. Half of the methods you use with NS4 won't work in NS6.
    Thank you.....

Not to mention EVERY method used to control flash. How is that they work with NS 4.x, but NOT with the new flagship NS 6???!!! How do you REMOVE features from you're new & improved browser?

A whole list that won't work in NS 6.

Just had to scrap a weeks worth of DHTML work because of NS's lack of support, and Macromedia's failure to document this lack of support.
    macromedia forum post

Quasi
    A. Macromedia and Mozilla both have fully documented the lack of FS Commands in their new browsers. Javascript through the Get URL bar however works and you can still use Javascript to make things work in NS- It is just harder to do. There is both a Technotte at MM and a notice at Mozilla.org describing the issue and why it is no longer supported.

B. MSIE for the Mac and MSIE for Unix also do not support FS Commands. Microsoft does not document it though.

Originally posted by Ed Mack
    Why not just follow W3C standards? Then it works for everyone. Also, if you hate Netscape, do you hate K-Meleon?
    I didn't say I hated any web browser. I just said that alternative browser companies would be wise to follow the standard that MS is setting. It will be benificial to ALL of us.
    Actually with more and more countries and people supporting Non MS Oses, such as the Peruvian Bill 1609 that would mandate open-source software for all public bureaux it would be smarter to design to the W3C if you wish to cover these markets. Gwermany has a simular Bill. You can read the Letter that congressman Nuñez sent in reply to MS when trying to kill Bil 1609 here: http://www.gnu.org.pe/rescon.html

Microsoft is trying its hardest to prevent the growth of Linux and Netscape becuase they are afraid of it. I reckon that if any type of real remedy comes out of the Anti-Trust case against MS then thier browser share will go down. Then again I have already said that the most benificial action for MS would be to dump IE on the world under a Open Source Liscense, BSD or NPL, and that would make all the browsers the same. Since theyn advocate that it is free, as in beer anyhow, and that it cannot be removed from windows, then there should be no harm in letting others see its source code so that thier browsers display the same as MSIE. We all know however that is not free, as in beer, and they do not want interoparbility which is why 90% of the problems people have with pages displaying diffrently is becuase of something that MS did themselves.

Microsoft is not a standards body. The W3C is and ECMA (For Java Script) is. Microsoft has every right and frequently does participate in writting Web standards. However they do not support them but rather extend them. They do this for thier own gain. To encourage people to write to MSIE only is wrong. First off what MSIE are you going to write too? MSIE 4 WIN, MSIE 5 WIN, MSIE 5.5 WIN, MSIE 5.5 SP2 WIN, MSIE 6 WIN, MSIE Mac 4, MSIE Mac 5, MSIE Mac 5.5, MSIE 5 Unix, MSIE 5.5 Unix, ETC do not support the same things. Which MSIE do you write for? Just from the Windows Distrobutions of Windows (Only From WIndows 95 B/ MSIe 4 and Up, ignoring the minor releases) and MSIE there are a possible 55 combinations. TRhen you also have Custom Installs of IE in which the User can choose not to Install a part of IE like VML. You claim that MS is setting a standard but the by looking at it you can see that the opposite is true.

MS has no standard and that is the problem. With each aditional release they try to force users to upgrade by breaking parts of MSIE, such as in MSIE 5.5 SP 2 where they broke NS style plug-ins but didn't break them for MSIE for MAC or Unix versions becuase MAC and Unix do not support Active X. What about the complete useless " MSIE Standard", such as the one in MSIE 5.4 SP 2 that directs users to MSN Search when the page is not found. Or how about the "MSIE Win Standard" that hides the true size of the cache and doesn't let you ever truly delete it such as the one illustrated in f**kmicrosoft.com (Replace teh ** With uc). It is things like this that makes people not want to use MS products.