A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

I find it very hard to beleive that Macromedia doesn't already know about it and fully understand the disasterous potential that it has. What makes me very nervous is why we have heard nothing from them since Mike Chambers.
    [Edited by Criticalflicker on 04-02-2002 at 11:48 AM]

Beyond the Sea

Just bumping this up again.

Oh, and pmineault, let's not get nasty. I'm sure Mike was not fully aware of the problem. His remarks just came at an inopportune time.
    "And to Mike Chambers, you have a serious attitude problem, and I sincerely hope you get fired."
    Let's keep this civil people. Send in your intelligently worded bug reports to the link near the top of the 3rd page of this thread and let's hope MM responds quickly with a fixed player version.

well, i can understand the upset. mike's comment was like the old joke:

patient: "Doctor, it hurts when i do this..."
    doctor: "Don't do that."

Indeed, but in this case we simply can't stop doing it.
    Any word Mike?
    We'd like some sort of response please

http://webforums.macromedia.com/flas...hreadid=306570

This forum is starting to fill up quite nicely with some nasty messages. Lets keep hitting them there. If they don't notice then, they have no excuse.

cre8ive
    Well Mike Chambers could have been anyone. I could say my email was @macromedia.com and who would be the wiser?

The best approach is to report bugs about the Flash 6 player to Macromedia.

In due course Macromedia will address the issue, or offer a new player version to fix the problem. It is in their best interest. Just think with each day that passes the version 6 player penetrates further. Which means more people will be exposed to a lessor quality experience. It's a matter of integrity.

I thought the seriously hoping someone gets fired thing was a bit far too. I mean that guy is probably not a developer - he is probably like Bently Wolfe or the other trolls sent out by Macromedia to help newsgroups. He is not to blame for cheesy glitches - and as far as an attitdue problem -- I did not see anything that constituted a bad attitude.

He seemed to be trying to help.

There is no reason for acrimony toward MM about all this stuff -- I think it is pretty obvious that there is a valid issue, and it is probably something stupid - have you ever written an application that has no bugs whatsoever?

At least they are not as bad as Microsucks, I mean microsoft. If this application was made by them, it would be riddled with bugs an potential security risks.

I actually wouldn't blame Mike if he just layed low for a while. This problem runs far deeper into the company than just the development team. I had my suspicions before that they may have rushed the products release but I think it has been confirmed to alot of people now that they did rush it. I'm sure that Mike Chambers does not feel like he should have to explain on behalf of Macromedia how this happened.

Here are my results going to the Mix Tape test URL with the Flash 6 player, and Internet Explorer 6 (version: 6.0.2600.0000.xpclient.010817-1148) under Windows XP using the Windows XP Task Manager/Networking tab. This is behind a Microsoft Proxy Server/Firewall -- still happens

(note that the % doesn't really matter. My LAN is faster than the DSL connection -- I assume it's being maxed out)

Icky.
    [Edited by azzyt on 04-02-2002 at 12:32 PM]

Beyond the Sea
    yeah, I can understand the anger, this is a HUGE blunder and it's going to be a big problem in getting people (read: clients) to adopt the new player.

But, there's no need to be uncivilized. Let's all be cool and focus on documenting it and getting it fixed, not throwing around insults.

ps, Great illustration of the problem, azzyt!
    [Edited by Kraken on 04-02-2002 at 12:27 PM]

Great illustration of the problem azzyt! Is there anyway you could post that on the macromedia thread?
    One thing about this problem is that cre8tive is getting lots of hits

try it with some other sites or make a test application and post it on a different URL -- I am making an ap that loads multiple movies about 500kb a piece ( I can only see a problem if it's huge -- I never thought I would wish for a slower connection ) -- to see if I can find a work around to this whole thing.

Beyond the Sea
    ooo, I had a thought!

Azzyt, go to http://www.apple.com/trailers the apple quicktime trailers site. These are large files that progressively download. Just for comparison, jump into a few trailers, then use the browser's back button to stop the stream. Post up the results seen in your profiler...

re: Mike Chambers

Actually, Mike is a developer, and a pretty good one too judging by the kit he put out on mark-me.com a while ago.

I don't think the comment he made about not loading massive files into your movie was meant as the last word on the matter. It's pretty obvious MM made a boo-boo, it's clearly significant enough that we know they're working their asses off to fix it right now (I think Colin Moock has said as much), and I think Mike's comment was meant to be taken with that in mind (i.e. just chill out until we get this fixed).

As far as the guy hoping someone gets fired, that's just way out of line, and either his fingers work faster than his brain or he's got a lot bigger problems than the latest Flash player.

just my 2 cents

Mike

I absolutely agree with you Mike on the issue of not venting on Mike Chambers. I would not agree with you however that we should just relax until they get it fixed. The fact that we are relying on Mike and Colin Moock for information speaks volumes about MM.

Originally posted by Kraken
    ooo, I had a thought!

Azzyt, go to http://www.apple.com/trailers the apple quicktime trailers site. These are large files that progressively download. Just for comparison, jump into a few trailers, then use the browser's back button to stop the stream. Post up the results seen in your profiler...
    Well, ok. Here goes.

I guess this proves it's a Flash problem and not IE, since these trailers are Quicktime and everything is as it should be.

Has anybody notified Macromedia as a Security Issue rather than a general "wish-list" bug?

http://www.macromedia.com/v1/develop...ne/AlertUs.cfm

It would also be appropriate to notify NTBugTraq or if it's cross platform some other BugTraq. I can do this if nobody else has.

http://www.ntbugtraq.com

I can really see this being used in a malicious way (it could be done even with Footers here, although I'm sure it wouldn't be up long), and it would be nice to have confirmation from Macromedia that they also see it as a security threat.

This truly is a ****y situation we have been put in by MM. As developers we have been adding to MM's stocks by using and pushing Flash to our clients and the entire Web culture, and you would think that 'New' means 'better'. As the faulty Player is more and more distibuted, our value as devlopers is dropping. Potential clients might be viewing our portfolios as we speak, and think that we do are not as good as we claim we are. What bugs me the most is that all our work is affected by this bug, not just the most recent ones.

Comeone, people. Let's all add to cre8tive's thread at http://webforums.macromedia.com/flas...hreadid=306570
    Let's make that thread as big as this one and let MM know that it's not only a few of us that are angry. This affects every single Flash developer who has ever used loadMovie to give their user's a more pleasant experience on the web.

Flip.

It's nice to see that we're getting some responses now, when I originally posted this thread nobody seemed to be interested. Now that people see that this is a serious issue hopefully between us we can get something done about it.

The Minister of No Crap

I have posted an article on Actionscript.com that should help to get Macromedia's attention. In it I post a link to this thread.

Hopefully, this will help motivate Macromedia to get something done quickly.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/

with that headline - you were'nt exactly mincing words were you--

brutal headline

cheers - good job