A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

you might get mike chmbers in a bit of trouble though

He's not called the "The Minister of No Crap" for nothin' Nice work No Crap

Yes, well done Scott, hopefully that will get their attention

The Minister of No Crap

I don't think I got Mike Chambers in trouble. If he's in any trouble, he did it himself.

Macromedia wants to push Flash into everyone's hearts and they expect us to help. They are relying on us to help push it. Well, how can we push a platform that is faulty? How can we push a company that ignores major problems in the thier own platform or belittles them?

This is ridiculous. We shouldn't have to put all of this effort into getting Macromedia to recognize and take care of this problem. We are wasting time that could spent developing and evangelizing Flash to the world.

I've added a ton more content to the article using the info you guys have posted in this thread, so hopefully everyone will understand the problem and the seriousness of it on the first read.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/

i´ve searched the MM site and the board for some reaction, found nothing. what is the normal way or place MM reacts on issues like this?

i´ve tested it again on mac os X with IE5.1 and FlashPlayer 6 (r21) (because i was frightened that somebody will come and say »this is a new thing because you should use CF6 (neo) for something like that).
    absolutely sure: it stops when it should stop, like the player 5 did.

so it´s definitely a bug with the WIN player. any suggestions what i should tell my customers tomorrow? about 85% of their clients use IE 5/6 and WIN os´s. has anybody experiences how MM reacted in situations like this? and how long it took?

Aquarium drinker
    Greater than 45 degrees in Minkowski space
    I do agree with most everyone that mentionned staying civilized in this thread. I think Macromedia has served us quite well during the past few years and I see no reason why they will not continue to do so in the near future. I know that Macromedia will fix this.

I, like many others, just feel aggravated by Macromedia's apparent refusal to acknowledge the issue. While I am most certain that behind the curtains, Macromedia is working hard on a solution, I just wish someone at MM would give us an unequivocal response that they are indeed doing so.

And while it is not a habit of mine to childishly offer one misfortune, I do wish *certain people* hadn't unapologetically ridiculed our concerns.
    [Edited by pmineault on 04-02-2002 at 04:29 PM]

really. a simple, "yes, we heard you. we are working on it at this very moment." would do wonders right now.

Well, I felt it appropriate to post this to the NTBugTraq mailing list -- and it was just allowed through.

We'll see if there is any response. If you're not a subscriber, you can read the post here:

http://www.ntbugtraq.com/default.asp...q&F=P&S=&P=971

The best thing we can tell our clients at the moment is that somehow a buggy player has got in to circulation and that we're sure it's being worked on.
    As long as this is sorted out soon we should all come out of this unscathed. Just make sure that clients know it's an issue with macromedia and not us. And maybe try to downplay the bug and say that it's not a massive issue on broadband or something.

Doesn't seem to be anything else we can do at the moment

anybody have any idea how many Flash devlopment boards there are out in cyberspace? I see all the same people C4guys, bit101, scottManning, etc on just about every newsgroup saying the same sorts of things.

I know the people at MM are busy hardworking developers too, but there has got to be at least someone that can say whether or not they are aware of this.

Maybe Flashkit is just to small and under the radar for them to listen -- I mean -- maybe 60 posts from 30 people about this issue is not exactly a groundswell.

i wonder why no one saw this before? I wonder how many other boards are out there -- I am going to open a thread on were-here about this. Anyone know of other popular Flash developer boards?

I think we should -- just to be ****ers - start threads on every board we find with the same issue presented. It probably makes no difference, but what the heck.

On a different note - I am struck by how small this community seems -- is it just the vocal minority that is expressing themselves? or is Flash not as commonly used as I thought. -- hmm

wow -- the forum censored w a n k -- I didn't event thyink that qualified as a cuss word -- sorry about the off topic post

As far as I know here and were-here are the biggest boards around. I think there are plenty of Flash developers out there, but a lot don't use the boards. A lot also just do it in their spare time and so have no major problems if something isn't working.

I've had a look at a couple of other boards but they're nowhere near as active as this one.

I think the reason that it's only a minority that are making themselves heard is because this is a reasonably advanced topic. A lot of smaller sites will fit in one swf and so loads won't be needed. Also, there is a lot of sites that simply preload content, rather than using effective streaming.
    Most people won't be too concerned by this issue until they notice that it begins to have an effect on their sites. Those of us that are having problems have got to make ourselves heard.

Starting threads around the place sounds like a good idea.

Beyond the Sea
    This was a very good point brought up in a similar thread at were-here:
    "It might be worth bearing in mind that Flash Forward 2002 started yesterday evening and is carrying through to tomorrow around noon. My guess is that most of the key people who would address this sort of problem are at that event, so it might be another day or two before MM can formulate a response to this issue. "

FF2K2 could be the reason for no response.

Surely they leave enough people behind to deal with emergencys.

I looked at http://www.myrecords.com/mixtape/mixtape.html
    and noticed that it did continue downloading also. The itcan.netmonitor download graph was showing a download of about 6kb to 9kb. Eventually it froze up where I was unable to select any song. I am using a 56k modem. Then I went to another site (HTML) and it seemed to take longer to load then normal. Is this a result of going to view a page using the flash 6 payer first or unrelated? And maybe this is unrelated, but why would is the download graph continuing to download at about 5kb when I am simply typing this message and not browsing the web?

You're right, FF2K2 could well be part of the issue. But it's pretty irresponsible for Macromedia to ALL be out this soon after a new release.

Just read over the thread in Were-Here about this issue, Bit-101 pointed out something very interesting. Every 'skip intro' button in all of flashland is completly useless.
    The impact of this bug seems to be growing and growing in my mind.

jhb: This is related. Even after leaving the flash site and visiting a standard HTML site the files will continue to stream in the background.
    ie if you visit a site, see that it's preloading 1MB of stuff, decide it's too long to wait and then leave to surf elsewhere. That 1MB file will continue to download and hog your bandwidth until it's either finished or you close IE

Does anyone know if there is somewhere on the MM site that you can find stats of how many people have the infected player on their system?

I say infected because it is becoming more apparent that the flash 6 player is malicious (quite unintentionally) but still malicious. If some one out there created a "virus" that does what the flash 6 player does you would find instructions on how to get rid of it on Symantic.

I am just becoming very concerned about how much longer this can go on for without it having a very serious effect on the Flash reputation.

I tried the mixtape -- pressed next about 30 times -- now I have a sustained download of 253KB/s from that guy-- great job Macromedia

Wow, so having flash 6 player does affect browsing the web if you go to a site that requires it and then decide to go to another site that does not. You will still be effected, if the site that required it was loading a large swf file?

And are you saying that if you try to load external data, (mp3's, video, swf files) that the player accumulates these files even after they are finished loading or a user tells them to stop? Or is this the issue - that a user can't tell them to stop?

Just trying to understand it. Thanks