A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of things MX SHOULD have and doesent...

Red face

I'm still new to Flash,(4 months), and I've been using other software for years like Photoshop and others. I found MX to be a unique perspective on the artists views as to how flash should be layed out. It IS more user friendly, and it DOES try to be more helpful, and still it doesent do some of the things I'd like done without having to go through a LOT more work than should be necessary. BTW, the same goes for every other version of FLASH.

oh, and I love FLASH.

Here are a few considerations Macromedia should take into account for next time:

1. a mask should be able to conform to a gradient.
    That means my masked (in-motion-gradient) should be
    able 2 be masked by a gradient (black->white)so that
    its visibility changes or fades out.
    2. The properties of a symbol should include an alt tag field. I don't want 2 have to create a symbol or a swf for every alt i want in the movie and have to save them seperately and enter extra code everywhere so that the invisible alttag movie follows my mouse and loads the appropriate alt based on what I rollover. Thats a nasty solution and takes lots of time. (the first time)
    3. I have more I'd like to suggest also, but later, such as combining Dreamweaver and Flash into one singular program... um. lol they'd never do that though, it means losing a product to sell.

I hope whoever reads this post will reply with thier own suggestion as to what Macromedia is missing out on, what they should be including in MX and its children.

http://pages.infinit.net/crockatt (under renovation)

we usually have a flash suggestion thread that goes to macromedia in the coffee lounge, im sure these would be good contirbutions to the flash 7 'wish list' though its a little early now.

the gradient mask would be sweet!

oh and another thing..

Come on folks, give some suggestions for FlashMX.\I'm going to make a list for here, including mine and your suggestinos and send itto the Flash design team

What should it have, what is it missing, how could it be more friendly, how could it be more customizable?

1. The actions panel can't be put inside the other panel areas, it must float always. (it should be dockable in the area the properties panel uses)

2. is up to u

REPLY REPLY REPLY
    GIMME SOME INPUT HERE SO WE CAN MAKE THE NEXT FLASH BETTER

Greg

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

1. The actions panel can't be put inside the other panel areas, it must float always. (it should be dockable in the area the properties panel uses)
    wha?
    try look harder.
    thats exactly what it did as the default setting ("programmer" I believe) when I installed last week.
    I've since changed it to "float", I needed it to be bigger.

also, alt tags don't take much at all to make. you can use the same movieclip for every alt tag, especially now we can dynamically re-size a text fields width.

hell if it's an issue, invest in some more knowledge and make a component, or wait a while, I'm sure one will turn up sooner rather than later.

Wink How about jumpy images

How about fixing images that jump or 'move' when you use alpha channeling or scalling.

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

Your blaming the fact that bitmaps don't scale easily on Flash??
    Now I've heard it all.

I suppose you blame Flash for the current violence in Isreal too?

geez.

Beyond the Sea

hey, hey, hey...

"I suppose you blame Flash for the current violence in Isreal too?"

Let's not get nuts here. I think better handling of images (i.e. the jumping problem which has been around since Flash 3) would be a great addition to Flash. But...it would probably up the filesize of the plugin.

I suppose we should separate our wishes into 2 categories:
    1) The Application program.
    2) The flash player plugin.

carry on.

Distort and Envelope should be animate-able! Even with motion tween you still need hints for anything more then very simple distortion.

And they should have an easier way to keep text, jpegs, etc. in proportion to your resolution and not the swf. That'll help a lot with my fullscreen/resizable message board (and any full screen/resizable swf).

Junior Senior
    Auto-capitalization of keywords and identifiers in the actionscript editor would be nice. Ever found an If where there should have been an if after an hour of debugging?

caithness massiv
    MX should have a beer tap and a remote keg of guinness for all these long nights i spend with it

Wink okay

I would love it if when it creates a projector file that you could choose whether or not it has a window around it or not or if you just want a border with no Title bar. Stuff that you have to buy ***********s Jugglor to do.

The one thing that they should have had in Flash by now, is constraining a dragged symbol to a path....

Years ago I messed around with Yahoo Geothingmaker, which was a free piece of software and was very basic, but it could even constrain a drag to a path. How come a hundred dollar piece of proffesional software cant do the same? I simple dont get it....

Re: oh and another thing..

hahaha, people keep saying that... but EVERY window and panel and whatnot is dockable and collapsable in MX. thats like the whole point to the new layout.

Originally posted by Covenent
    The one thing that they should have had in Flash by now, is constraining a dragged symbol to a path....
    not quite sure i understand what you mean. but... how about a guide layer? or clicking the magnet, haha.

uhm
    it should have recordable actions like photoshop does... can't count how many times i've needed that

Good Feedback and Bad Feedback

Feedback is good,input is good, brainstorming is good, but cutting someone elses idea is bad.

We're getting some good ideas here and I'm sure Snoop_Doug will seethat some of the best ones get added to the Flash 7 Wishlist. Thanks Snoop.

I just wish that we has a mute button for those people who have nothing better to do than cut sdown someone elses idea instead of expanding upon it.

G

What I mean is that at the moment with the statDrag function you are limited to dragging in a rectangle, however I think you should be able to drag along a path, much like you can animate an object along a path.

It seems to be one of the most basic features that Flash is lacking...

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

Re: Good Feedback and Bad Feedback

Originally posted by crockatt
    Feedback is good,input is good, brainstorming is good, but cutting someone elses idea is bad.

We're getting some good ideas here and I'm sure Snoop_Doug will seethat some of the best ones get added to the Flash 7 Wishlist. Thanks Snoop.

I just wish that we has a mute button for those people who have nothing better to do than cut sdown someone elses idea instead of expanding upon it.

G
    we do....it's in my footer on the right side (the little star), a direct email link to moderation. Pretty much every mod can be contacted in that way.

david p.

My suggestion

ya i think it shuld have onion skinning that will work in your movie so u can have matrix style effex without making each individual frame.

We should be able to choose to snap imported jpgs and movies by their center point. This will allow us to center dynamically imported jpgs without having to know their size.