A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of things MX SHOULD have and doesent...

you can drag along a path ( virtual path ) - it can't be a real path, but programatically it can be done proetty easily. Just get the x and y mouse and move the dragging clip with a contrained area

Distort video

It would save me a lot of hassle in after effects if you were able to distort the video shape. I'm not talking here about height and width.. thats possible.. I'm talking perspective style skew.. Theres the perspective tool in freehand, why can't it be in flash?

caithness massiv

Re: Distort video

Originally posted by mr-psycho
    It would save me a lot of hassle in after effects if you were able to distort the video shape. I'm not talking here about height and width.. thats possible.. I'm talking perspective style skew.. Theres the perspective tool in freehand, why can't it be in flash?

you can do this

just pick your free transform tool and click on an edge and drag

the free transform tool allows you to scale, rotate and skew

Originally posted by SOLOMONF
    you can drag along a path ( virtual path ) - it can't be a real path, but programatically it can be done proetty easily. Just get the x and y mouse and move the dragging clip with a contrained area
    I havent tried what you are taking about, but I presume you are talkng about storing a set of x, y and co-ordinates in an Array(s) and then keeping the clip within those co-ordinates when dragged. If you mean you can do this, I suppose you can; but why should you have to programme all that crap out just for something very simple.

The Geothingmaker software, Im talking about is from about two years ago and was free and was made for Yahoo, which goes to show how basic it was. Yet it could allow you to draw a path and to tell a graphic to be dragged along that path. I mean how hard can it be to include that in a piece of proffesional software?

Re: Re: Distort video

Originally posted by agent vivid
    Originally posted by mr-psycho

you can do this

just pick your free transform tool and click on an edge and drag

the free transform tool allows you to scale, rotate and skew

Actually no you can't, or else I wouldn't have posted that you can't. True you can transform skew, scale and rotate, but you can't use the transform tool on video. This means that opposite sides lengths have to be equal. You can't do perspective properly where eg. the closer vertical edge is taller than the vertical edge in the distance, top and bottom edges being the same length. I'm not talking isometric here.

[Edited by mr-psycho on 04-01-2002 at 10:20 AM]

It would be very helpfull if flash was able to ignore tabs and linebreacks while parsing XML. Its very frustrating having to remove all tabs and breacks out of your XML b4 flash can read it in properly. It also makes it very difficult to edit the XML after all the formating have been removed.

If IE can do it it can't be that difficult

If anyone can call me an ideot and show me the right way to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

myXML.ignoreWhite = true

Unfortunately this property only tells flash to ignore empty text nodes, I doesn't however tell flash to ignore tabs and breacks outside the XML tags that were put there strictly for formating (indentation)

HELP>>>ACTIONSCRIPT DICTIONARY
    Something small that I would like *back*;

In Flashs past I could double click a filled circle with a stroke and the color chips in the mixer would reflect the colors of the object I just double clicked. Now They just display whatever colors were last used.

Sooo now when I, say, go to adjust the opacity of a fill I have to click on the object, click on the eyedropper, click back on the object, and *then* adjust the opacity. Ridiculous.

Before I could just click the fill and then change the color or opacity *for that color*.

Aquarium drinker
    Greater than 45 degrees in Minkowski space
    Originally posted by Covenent
    Originally posted by SOLOMONF
    I havent tried what you are taking about, but I presume you are talkng about storing a set of x, y and co-ordinates in an Array(s) and then keeping the clip within those co-ordinates when dragged. If you mean you can do this, I suppose you can; but why should you have to programme all that crap out just for something very simple.

The Geothingmaker software, Im talking about is from about two years ago and was free and was made for Yahoo, which goes to show how basic it was. Yet it could allow you to draw a path and to tell a graphic to be dragged along that path. I mean how hard can it be to include that in a piece of proffesional software?
    Giving that ability to Flash would also mean having the ability of dynamically retrieving the control points of a path in Flash, and due to the nature of the left fill/right fill paradigm of the format, it would mean a massive rewrite of the entire player and a complete change to the internals of the swf format.

Given that by using a few simple equations for either Quad or cubic Bezier curves, you can be succesful in creating a startDrag function that follows a path, I really think this is a non-issue.

I guess I'm just sick and tired of people saying "you can't do it" when you can actually do it if you would just try.