A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] Mac vs PC on autorun CD with Flash5

Hi guys!

I know how to make a autorun.inf file for PC in order to launch a CD but what is the secret of having the same CD opened with Mac. Which type of file? Which code?

Any clues?

Thanx to the experts...

VALMONT

Good question...I would like to add something more cause I want to know the answer to this too...

Not only how you set up an autorun type of file for a MAC but can you also create a CD that will automatically open on both PC and MAC? (A file that will detect and open an .exe or .hqx file depending on the OS)

Hope some MAC people will read this that can help out.

any mac helpers out there?

Im just posting so I can be notified when someone has a good anwser. All my CD's have only worked on PC!

Maybe I didn't understand this right...but supposing I did, I would simply check the projectors for both platforms in the publish settings. It generates a .exe for the pc and a "Projector" (no suffix) for the mac. Burn them both in your cd (from a mac, of course, since pcs can only see themselves), and you're everywhere!

Hack
    I'd also like to know. I too am a PC user, and have made CDs that autorun on a PC, but on a mac you have to go and execute the projector file yourself.

em

Well, I am not the only one looking for a solution...
    Of course we can burn both start projectors on the CD. But then the Autorun wont work for the Mac and second I dont have a mac to burn the CD. I have heard that a Mac program named Toast can burn an hybrid CD BUT from a mac again...

VALMONT

software solution for hybrid autorun

You should try this soft : cdeverywhere
    in a single PC you could make an hybrid cd with automatic autorun for both MAC and PC, and it's very easy...
    http://www.cdeverywhere.com
    A+

as a mac user

you can't make it autorun on a mac. the default for mac is to autoopen/play a cd, but many users turn this feature off. i am pretty positive i have to double-click on stuff inside of a cd to get it to start automatically.

as for burning a hybrid cd...toast on a mac does this with relative ease. i think it is called ISO 9660 or something which allows it to work on both platforms.

Hack
    Jayhawk,

Which file does the mac run when it autoopens a CD? Does it have to have a particular name?

em

The demo version of CDeverywhere that I downloaded seems to work fine to create hybrid CD image. I have to find a Mac to test it.

VALMONT

Let me know too. I'm doing a Mac/PC Yearbook for our school (using Flash). I was told Autorun could not be done on a Mac...

Something to think about

Hiya, I´m a Mac user.
    Well, I haven´t done an autostart CD so far, but I can tell you what I know about:

- Autostart on MAC only works when on the system the CD is viewed Quicktime is installed.
    - the autoopen/play a CD option that jayhawk was talking about is an option of Quicktime. The default setting is "ON", but some users turn this feature off because of some Mac-viruses using this feature.
    - On a Mac you can burn an autostart-cross-platform CD (with Toast, for example) by using ISO/Hybrid 9660 and pointing to the application which shall open (the flash-player). On Mac there isn´t something like an autorun "inf"

However, if you fell the need for a MAC/Cross-platform-board at flashkit, it would be great if you could take a look into the following thread I started in the coffee lounge, and write down what you think about. I asked there for an own Mac-board and it looks like most people found it good.
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=36721

Cheers

Did it work on the Mac?

Valmont,

I too am on a PC and was wondering...Did you find a Mac to test your cd on? Which ver of CDEverywhere did you get. Reason I ask is, if you got the Professional ver, can you tell me how this worked for you - or if you tried it?

Professional Version of CDEverywhere:
    "Import Files from ZIP Archive
    Required to use AUXZip utility to preserve Macintosh non-ASCII file and directory name characters, custom icons and icon positions."

Is this the function I need to "convert" the .hqx (zip) that I 'published' for the Mac?

Oh, if this could be easier!

Thanks for any info you can send.