A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sort of Pop Ups, Transparent , HOW?

Smile

I've been browsing the web and a few times I've seen flash items pop up within the browser page, that have no borders or anything. I think they must be using layers in the browser and be saved out as transparent? example of this is the Gamecube ad on http://www.freeloader.com (takes a little time to appear)

Does anyone know where I can get information on how to make and use this effect?

I suppose there are various ways of doing it.

However, one way - and one I used recently - is to have the 'pop-up' as a movie clip (you can use loadMovie to load external SWFs into clips).

If the clip is called 'clip1', and assuming it is the transparency part you are asking about, and not the mechanics of popping it up:
    Code:
    setProperty("clip1", _alpha, percentage);
    Of course, this sets the transparency of the whole clip - including text. So you could use the same action on clips inside clip1.

Remember that when you loadMovie into a clip, the background is completely transparent, so make sure you draw any background you want to appear in your pop up.

Not sure thats quite it...

I'd like to know how you actually get it to work in the browser window. It might even be a Dreamweaver question?

Do you make your movie transparent and place it on a higher level above the main page content somewhere?

Is this the way to go. Go to Html options in Movie properties and set Window mode to Transparent windowless?

then the background is transparent?

How to make a Flash movie with a transparent background:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...ents/wmode.htm

whanabe flash junkie
    the only way I can think of is bringing the swf file into a new layer ontop of all the text and graphics. Dont know if its possible but I know you can have a swf file and text on a new layer on top of that.

Transparent, layered Flash ads

I stumbled across your topic while looking for the exact same information. It is more than simply playing a transparent .swf. I grabbed all the code and .js files from the Ice Age ad that played on Yahoo a few weeks back and it is some brutal stuff. They did a lot of setting and checking for cookies to determine when you would see it but once you strip this stuff away, it appears that they are checking your browser and if you are running IE (which supports transparent .swf's) it generates a layer on the fly and then plays the .swf in it. Unfortunately, there are some pieces in the code that, as of writing this, have thwarted me from recreating the effect. I think parts of it might be proprietary (they definitely point to URLs I'm not allowed to snoop thru) -- which of course doesn't mean that it couldn't be reproduced in other ways.

If you get ANY direction on this (even what these types of ads are called in the industry), I would love to hear about it.

"The Eyeblaster platform is a proprietary, patent-pending technology that inserts a transparent page in front of any enabled HTML page. The page can then receive and display rich media messages created from standard media formats (Flash, GIF, audio, video) from the Eyeblaster servers."

-thats some heavy stuff there.....
    It could easily be abused (like we all know it will be!!) LOL

So I wonder if its possible to do that with out THEIR servers.
    for example theres a java script code that will make a pop up window fly in from the left and move up the page and stop (i seen it somewhere)...okay using that call the actual .swf file to display in that pop up (with the CHROMELESS CODE of course), but also make the .swf transparent...hmmm...Im off to try it....
    let ya'll know if it works and this is a good topic hope more people get in on doing this without their servers..
    BTW if they patent it (even though its pending now) can we still do it??...weird to think about
    Joey

okay well the project is under way...unless someone knows how to do this already on here..
    http://www.
    well it did work once now its throwing javascript errors...ill post back shortly (grin)

okay i have a dummy page up and i was able to call the actual .swf not the .html on clicking "open window" i know this can be an automated type pop up so it opens after a few secnds instead of having to click but i dont have that script yet... ok no transparency there yet...just your basic chromeless window on click pop up effect...
    any input???
    looking up HTML layers now (sort've a learning experience for me)im sure that has something to do with it....z-index all that stuff...looking into that now
    Joey
    [Edited by DR_SEMI_EVIL on 04-06-2002 at 02:16 AM]

found a snippet but i have no idea how to adjust but it has something to do with it...

in <head>
    <script>
    window.moveTo(0,0);
    window.resizeTo(screen.width,(screen.height-30))
    </script>

flash html settings to look at:

<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="yourmovie.swf">
    <EMBED src="yourmovie.swf"...etc.....

also i just noticed something....the FLASH IS on top of the HTML age right clicking the PAGE only shows the flash player right click menu...not the html...

sorry all if im posting to much kindve trying to piece all this together hope someone helps....

Joey

I got this reply from another board..naughtily posted the same question to the html sitecheck board... Does this help anyone? I haven;t had chance to try it myself yet...

ilprismli

"how do they do that?"

It's fairly simple to do. Create your flash movie, making sure that you leave the areas you want to be transparent clear (so you can see the grid behind them, don't even colour them in white). Export your movie as a .swf (as normal).

Load up your HTML editor, in my case it's Dreamweaver, and open the page you want to add your movie to. Insert a new layer (Insert>Layer), then within that layer add your flash movie (Insert>Media>Flash). Move the layer to the correct location within your page and format the aesthetics.

Once this is done, from within the Properties box of the flash movie click "parameters" and add "wmode" with a value of "transparent".

Or, you can simply add the following to the flash object HTML code:

<param name="wmode" value="transparent">

When you view your page it'll create the layer with the flash movie where you told it to be, the areas within the movie that are empty will now be shown as transparent.

Example code:
    Code:
    <div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; width:200px; height:74px; z-index:1"><object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="583" height="65"> 
    <param name=movie value="/objects/new_top.swf"> 
    <param name=quality value=high> 
    <param name="menu" value="false"> 
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent"> 
    <embed src="/objects/new_top.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="583" height="65"> 
    </embed> 
    </object></div>

Tremendous,excellent

I tried it and it worked.. One thing to note. I couldn't get flash to appear above flash. Is this possible?

Also is it possible using the chromeless effect http://www.microbians.com , to make the browser window transparent and therefore get the flash onto the desktop somwhow? Probably not possible knowing my luck!

Yes, but this will just place a transparent swf on a layer and while this works lovely in IE, it doesn't work in Netscape. One of the remarkable things about the eyeblaster ads (actually called Superstitials--apparently Unicast developed it and back in January of this year went to court over copyright infringement naming Enliven, Bluestreak, Eyeblaster and VIPcast as defendants in the suit) is that it will work in either platform.

Eyeblaster etc

Surely this must just be a way of utilizing the dhtml and layers, and scripting etc already in browsers?

I'm suprised anyone can claim copyright on that. Mind you British Telecom own the copyright and patents to the hyperlink!!

I have my swf opening up in a new layer, but I cannot close the flash movie so as to get back to the HTML page. I have tried both on {release}{fscommand="quit"} and on {release} unloadmovie="moviename"} neither of these do anything in the broswer. Is there some actionscript I could use to close the layer and get back to the HTML page.