A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Fonts in a scrollPlane

Hey Yall

Here's the problem.

I want to scroll text verically, but amongst the text are thumnail images and other buttons etc. SO, i simply just cannot use a scrollbar because this will only scroll the text and not the images and button that are part of the text. Soooo, I have to use a scrollPlane component. I make a symbol with my text and images all nice and neat, and then on the 1st frame, the scrollplane calls upon my symbol with text and iomages etc. This works fine! But I hate the way the text is fattened up by not using device fonts. So i turn device fonts on and then it goes all screwy.

If you don't know what i mean, try making some text a symbol and have that text have the use device fonts on. Then use the scrollPlane to scroll the symbol with the text in it. It doesn't work

Please help!

I know what you mean, but you have to embed your font to display it correctly in a scrollpane....there's just no other way......I don't have problems with the embedded font myself....except that your filesize increases.....maybe its just the type of font you embed that gets fattened up...

Are fonts automatically embedded in Flash MX? In flash 5, there was the option to embed the fonts, but now im not sure where u can do it.

Also, if u can get non anti-aliased text an scrollpane, then send me the file, or tell me how, because I certainly can't do it.

ALSO...WHY CAN'T I HAVE non-AA fonts in my scrollpanes!???

by default, fonts are not embedded!!!

You have to embed them yourself...just select your textbox on stage, look at the property inspector,click the button "character" and choose embed all characters.....this should do the trick!

Don't think u understand dude.

As i am typing this reply, the font doesn't look antialiased in this reply. When i export a swf with a scrollpane containing some text, the font looks smoother and antialiased. I want to have the fonts so that they look like the fonts you are reading right now, which is non-AA!!!

Can it be done?

ok,maybe i don't understand exactly....i am not sure if you can do this.....sorry can't help you out....