A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Disappearing Dots

I am a beginner - so forgive me for the level of this question.

I am trying to replicate the 'disappearing dot' effect - when you mouse over the dot, it will disappear...I can't seem to get the actionscript right.
    Any help would be appreciated greatly.

thanx

Originally posted by webslayer
    I am a beginner - so forgive me for the level of this question.

I am trying to replicate the 'disappearing dot' effect - when you mouse over the dot, it will disappear...I can't seem to get the actionscript right.
    Any help would be appreciated greatly.

thanx
    Try using a movieclip (animated circle)for the over state
    and a static circle for the up, down, hit.

You can loop the mouseover or have it play once or you can
    insert a stop action in the movieclip end frame.

One possible way...

Unless I am misunderstanding your post, you want to create a dot that goes away when the user mouses over it.

Create the dot as a button set the dot as the Up State, Down State, and Hit State. Leave the Over State blank. Your dot will disappear when the user mouses over it...

I got that part ...thanks guys....

next part - I want it to stay 'gone' after they roll off of it. Someone has a footer that has lines of dots that do that...

;-)

That's an entirely different thingie...

If you want them to disappear permanently, then I would create them as movie clips and then use the SetProperty command to set their visibility to 0.

Originally posted by GreatGooglyWoogly
    If you want them to disappear permanently, then I would create them as movie clips and then use the SetProperty command to set their visibility to 0.
    Thanks! BUt now, I am confused by the Load Movie commands - it doesn't have a "roll over" that I could tell it to do that. I don't understand what "mouse up" and "mouse down", etc. mean...

I tried to do some of the tutorials, but they didn't cover the exact definitions.

Thanks in advance
    webslayer

(adamscott/webslayer - same guy. password got corrupted yesterday and had to re-register, but then today webslayer's password won't let me in...argh)

You will create your button inside the movie clip. Select the movie clip on the main timeline and edit it. Select the button inside the movie clip and set its mouseover properties to target the movie clip:

On (Release)
    Begin Tell Target ("_level0")
    Set Property ("MyTarget", Visibility) = "0"
    End Tell Target
    End On

This will likely require you to label the instance of the movie clip - i.e., your "MyTarget"

You need to use the Tell Target because your movie clip is off of the main timeline or Level which is 0. So you have to target any actions you want to implement from that MC.

This should work, I have not tested it myself, so let me know if you need more...