A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: placement of external swf movie on background

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to make an external swf movie load and play in a *specific position* on the parent swf background.

I do know how to do this with child movies, but not when the child movie is actually child> element > action > load movie url.

I can get a button, when clicked, to cause the external swf to load and play; what I haven't figured out is how to make it appear in a *specific position* on the parent swf background.

Any help is much appreciated--TIA.
    --Lil

can't

Originally posted by kuebi
    I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to make an external swf movie load and play in a *specific position* on the parent swf background.

I do know how to do this with child movies, but not when the child movie is actually child> element > action > load movie url.

I can get a button, when clicked, to cause the external swf to load and play; what I haven't figured out is how to make it appear in a *specific position* on the parent swf background.

Any help is much appreciated--TIA.
    --Lil
    Thats because you cannot do this.

Loaded movies always load in the top left corner. So make all the movies the same size and place the action where you need it. I've done this before by making a container movie template that is the size I want then loading the movie I want as a child and saving as new movie.

resolved Re: can't

Thanks! Good idea! Best wishes--Lil

Originally posted by blanius
    So make all the movies the same size and place the action where you need it. I've done this before by making a container movie template that is the size I want then loading the movie I want as a child and saving as new movie. [/B]

resolved Using blanius' suggestion -- example

It isn't gorgeous and perfect yet (I gotta sleep sometime) but here is what I came up with, so far...

http://www.horsevu.com/7s/banner/

The mini-movies on the far left are all on "paper" the same color as the banner background.

What I like is the idea that you can have a relatively small swf file that will load and unload external swf files while appearing that all are in one single file.

I'm also really grateful to have 3D Flash Animator to work with, because I can't justify the expense of Macromedia Flash, and having tried the demo, I think I would have a heck of a time figuring out how to use it. Whereas, 3D FA has been fairly easy for me to understand and use.
    --Lil

Re: can't

Originally posted by blanius
    [BLoaded movies always load in the top left corner. [/B]
    Blanius, how do you get rid of a loaded movie?

I have an external .swf loaded as Level 1 (thus placing it on top of Level 0, the "original" movie). My site navigation is in Level 0. When you're in the loaded movie segment and make use of the navigation features located on Level 0, the effects of the loaded movie remain on the screen.

How do I lose that?

THANKS!!!

You can add a button to unload your loaded movie from level 1, or a better solution would be to create a blank movie(make sure looping is off) that loads your main movie into it on the highest level, then load all of your other movies on lower levels. This will ensure that your main movie(and your menu)is always on top.

You might also want to note that if you load another movie onto a level that already contains a movie, it will replace the movie already there, check out the menu change over on my site for a demonstration of this:

http://www.artistnation.com/members/...dek/index.html

The main menu is a loaded movie(level 1), whenever a button is clicked it loads another movie on that level, replacing the menu. When the "home" button on the next movie is clicked it sends the loaded movie to a keyframe that re-loads the menu movie, allowing the process to be repeated again.

-Jason
    [Edited by zoranvedek on 04-12-2002 at 10:13 AM]

thanks---i'll give all of that a shot!

Beautiful site, Jason. One of the very few actually pretty and effective uses of Flash for site design that I've seen. --Lil :::::who wearies of blinking and spinning Flash circle designs on splash pages::::::

>You might also want to note that if you load another movie onto a level that already contains a movie, it will replace the movie already there, check out the menu change over on my site for a demonstration of this:

http://www.artistnation.com/members/...dek/index.html

Idea -- would this work?

I don't have to try it right now...but I want to see if it would work to use javascript to open the external swf in a small, *frameless/borderless* window.
    --Lil

Re: Idea -- would this work?

Originally posted by kuebi
    I don't have to try it right now...but I want to see if it would work to use javascript to open the external swf in a small, *frameless/borderless* window.
    --Lil
    Yeppers you can. By the way I like your banner very nice work.

I posted a how-to in this forum at
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=290320

to do this very thing have a look.