A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: viewing PHP scripts with browser

This is probably a really easy question, but hey, I have to find out! lol

OK, I'm just getting started with php, and I created my little php page (hello world of course!) saved it as hello.php but my browser won't recognize it, and even if I insert the script into golive, I can't preview it. I have my own server at home, but is there any way to be able to view your work on your workstation, like you would a regular 'ole html file, without having to upload it to a server first? I was sort of thinking that I should be able to just open it in my browser...

Thanks in advance for your help.

A php file will not work unless it is passed through the php module on a server (so to my knowledge there is no way to preview without a server) you can set up your workstation to act as a web server (for testing at home something like microsoft pws should be enough) install PHP on it you can view them in your browser by. http://localhost/pathtofile/hello.php (if the file is saved in the right place of course usually something like c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ on windows 98)

Oh... I see. heh heh well, I'll try it when i get home, then. Thanks for your help.

On win*, try out this:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/foxserv/

search on sourceforge.org for "php apache mysql" and you'll find some install packages if you're not into installing everything your self.