A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: save copy of picture to disk?

Does anybody know if it is possible to have a function that calls a save as dialogue from within flash?

For a CD presentation I want to load some JPEGs dynamically (MX) and when they are clicked on (or a button over or next to) a save as dialogue appears to allow the user to save a copy to their PC.

[title goes here]

Lightbulb good question...

that would be a nice feature

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

As far as I know, SWF Studio is the only tool available right now that can do this. Definitely the only one that can do it with Flash MX right now.

There's a working example called COPYFILE that you can download from http://www.northcode.com/studio/examples

It shows you how to copy a PDF file that is bundled inside the EXE file (but you can choose the source file) to a location selected by the user (could be a local or network drive).

The FileSys.FileSave command is used to display the standard Windows File Save dialog, allowing the user to select the destination. Next, the FileSys.CopyFile command is used to perform the copy operation.

If you need any help just give me a shout. You can find me here, in the SWF Studio support forums at http://www.northcode.com/forums or by sending email to support@northcode.com

How about set as a wallpaper command for projector?
    Like in html on right click.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    I wrote a free tool called WALLPAPR.EXE that does that. I posted it in the SWF Studio support forums (www.northcode.com/forums) and I think I posted it here too. Just in case, here are the details...

You can download the tool from
    http://www.northcode.com/misc/WallPapr.exe

usage: wallpapr mode filename

mode can be CENTER (the default), TILE or STRETCH and the filename should be the fully qualified file name of the image to be used as the wallpaper (any image type supported by Windows can be used).

For example: If a file call IMAGE.BMP and the WALLPAPR.EXE file are in the same directory as your projector you could use the following FSCommand (in SWF Studio) to set the wallpaper stretch it to fill the desktop.

Code:
    fscommand("RUN", "%ORG%\\wallpapr.exe stretch %ORG%\\image.bmp")
    Without SWF studio you have to use a few more string tricks.

Code:
    fscommand("EXEC", "wallpapr.exe" + chr(9) + "stretch" + chr(9) + "image.bmp");
    Calling wallpapr with no arguments removes the wallpaper. So you can use the following command to remove the desktop wallpaper.

Code:
    fscommand("RUN", "%ORG%\\wallpapr.exe"); // SWF Studio
    fscommand("EXEC", "wallpapr.exe"); // Flash projector
    Final note: WallPapr is a VB app, so there may be distribution problems with plain Flash projectors. I'll be releasing a C++ version soon (along with a pile of other free tools).

Thanks for sharing Northcode.
    Those are very good softwares.

Another Solution

I did a search on the boards and cam up with this link

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Scrip...26/index.shtml

Its an Open Source FLA and stuff in a zip file that uses a javascript thinga-me-jig to open the explorer save as dialogue ..just the type of thing I wanted. BUT it uses the browser and I'm not sure it will work in a standalone. I'd be grateful for any nuggets of wisdom regarding this!

Would it be possible to...

Call an external application such as windows explorer from within flash, so that the user can save or drag and drop from there? I'm sure you can make external apps open from within flash..