A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: can swish do anything that flash can't?

...or is it just a cheaper, inferior alternative?

i would really like someone to tell me what it can be used for. i only downloaded the demo because i got it confused with swift, as i wanted to do some 3d graphics.

u guys obviously use it, so why do u like it?

i only tried it once so the jury is still out.

appriciate any feedback.

Well, I use is simply because it's so much easier to do things that take more time in Flash. Flash has more options, but Swish is getting there

At less than 10% of the price it can do 95% of what Flash can do.

In terms of site design - it can do anything you'd want in a normal site. Look at some Swish sites, Maybe Hannibal Smith's portfolio ( http://rgdesign.5er.com/ ) made in Swish. I'd like to hear your comments after seeing that!

UNified
    What Swish cant do...
    1) Cost as much as Flash ( its $50 US)
    2) Have any action scripting
    3) No streaming Audio
    and Im sure the list goes on

What it can do...well here are some sites built with Swish

http://www.cafeymas.com/
    http://www.ozzono.com/
    http://www.swishkit.tr.cx/
    http://rgdesign.5er.com/
    http://www.roberthenry.org/

For the money, and in the right hands, it can do a lot.

Jofta

well, i've already got flash, so my real question was is it worth buying swish as well?

Hi **HARKONEN**:

well, i've already got flash, so my real question was is it worth buying swish as well?

If you're proficient with Flash, I think that Swish has very little to offer.

Swish is great for learning the basics, as a primer for Flash, and is even better than Flash in a couple of respects, but overall, if you already own Flash, and you know how to use it, I wouldn't suggest buying Swish.

James
    He is risen!!!

Can swish do anything Flash can't

Yeah... Swish can crash your computer over and over.

...sorry, i couldn't resist.

How about doing things easier and faster than flash. It can save u time

I'm with James & Monkey

Stick with Flash

Oh but there's an exciting NEW drag n drop feature coming soon! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jeez guys, alright already!!!

Originally posted by DJ Shane
    I'm with James & Monkey

Stick with Flash

Oh but there's an exciting NEW drag n drop feature coming soon! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Nobody's forcing you to use Swish or to hang around here??

FK's Fnortner
    This is just one of many Swish vs Flash threads that will soon be closed ... like the others. We've been here, done this. z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z

Dale

Alien I'm really not sure why you have strarted these personal attacks, or why you believe your posts are more important than others, but it makes me feel uncomfortable, so your wish is granted young man, I shall indeed leave. Thanks for 18 months of help guys.

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    DJ -
    i don't think they're personal attacks (we've done such a good job of keeping drama away from this forum overall) but if you honestly can't see instances in which Swish is beneficial, even to those of us who use Flash on a consistent basis, then your remarks (which can be seen as sarcastic) do prompt those who like to pointout Swishes positives to question your motive.

Persaltier,

I am a long time Swish user, and will continue to be so, How I got myself in the position of being a Swish 'attacker' lol I'll never know. The question here was can Swish do anything Flash can't & we both know the answer to that.

To suggest I have only ever 'attacked' Swish is silly, our little friend whilst doing his little search should have read some of those posts.

To any offence caused sorry. There will be no more.

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    DJ -
    I'm sure those who frequnt here know of your long-time usage of Swish (and none of us would be here if we weren't).

I think you raised a good point though. I think it's not fair to say "can Swish do anything Flash can't?". We all know which is the more robust program. However, I think it's better to state for those who aren't in the know how much easier Swish is for certain processes and how it fits into the development cycle as a viable tool to be used alongside MX.

now i'll buy you a beer

...while all you big players duke it out, i'd just like to add that i've had flash for 3 years and only opened it maybe 10 times. Tried to go through some tutorials, got frustrated, closed it up and stuck to designing html sites. Three weeks ago, a friend suggested I try Swish. I did just that, went through the tut's, learned more in the first two hours than i'd ever learned in Flash, and now feel pretty confident that in a month or two i'll be producing some kick ass flash (swish) sites. I'd say Swish is definately worth purchasing if you find Flash a little overwhelming or don't have a kazillion hours to spend trying to learn it.

thanks for ur input. i suppose it has answered my question, in a roundabout way.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    bluepdoo,
    I agree with you!

DJ Shane - I would not like to see you stop visiting because you think that you being attacked. Send me threads in which this is apparent and I will take action. Everybody at Flashkit has something to contribute and all should be respected.

As for MP's statement about SWiSH crashing computers....
    My box has been running SWiSH V2, SWiSH V1.5, SWiSH 2.5 pre-alpha (sometimes all at once) and I have not had my system crash or any of the versions fall over in the last 3-4 months.

The debate is pointless, use the tools that you can afford, are comfortable with or prefer.

The output is always SWF whether it comes from Flash, or SWiSH, or any one of the 40-odd other 2nd generation swf authoring programs out there.

and DDunn is correct, this thread is closed.

david p.