A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Radial Spacing???

Where have I been ??
    Okay, I know that using the Align Window (CTRL+K) You can evenly space objects on your stage with other objects, or to the stage itself. My question I have is, Is there a way to even space objects along a Curve, or around the perimeter of a circle. What I am trying to recreate is a Clocks Gearwork, and I am needing to evenly distribute the teeth of the gear around a circle, (also not just evenly spacing but also proper rotation which I could do by hand if I wanted to). Does anyone have any ideas about how to go about doing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the usual
    in short - no

it may be possible with actionscript

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    The method I use to space items around a curve is to set up your item, then change its center point, copy it, then rotate the item. Paste another, rotate.

OK, it's not pretty, but it works
    Cheers

desert nomad
    use guides. view>show rulers, and make horizontal and vertical guides by dragging from the rulers. it would be easy to space around by hitting the four ends. start out by adding a vertical and horiz. guide to make it look like a crosshair. if you want any guides to go between the lines, use a little bit of math. actually, it's not that easy. you have to use the formula for a unit circle, f(x)=+-Math.sqrt(x^2+y^2). if the quadrant you are targeting is above the horizontal guide, use positive. else use negative. the x and y coordinate you have to find will be based on the x at which you want it to stop. for example if you want the curve to be straight and then bending to the right, use f(x)=Math.sqrt(x^2+y^2) and plug in the x you want to align your symbol to. i.e. if you want your symbol to be centered at (100,50) [and keep in mind that flash inverts the y coordinate system] do this: f(x)=100^2+y^2 and solve algebraically for y. then you'll have the exact coordinates you'll need.

Where have I been ??

Well...

I cheated, and found a way to do it. Though it isnt the Easiest way to go about doing it. I did figure a way.

What I did was make 18 dupes of the MC, then set the starting rotation for each off by 20 degrees.

Thank you all for the help.
    Final Effect:
    http://www.dmstudios.net/~DNS/CLOCK.swf
    [Edited by rru96 on 04-28-2002 at 02:36 AM]