A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All speeds, test me! Architectural Firm Flash site.

Another one of those "not done yet ones"...sorry, just want to know a little bit about load times. Is anything way too big? I know the intro is a little slow...any suggestions?

I must admit I haven't yet mastered the best way to arrange things for optimal speed, but I'm trying.

Any other comments would be so helpful.

http://anna.chimp.ca/kga

[Edited by Anna Banana on 05-05-2002 at 09:07 PM]

FK Lover
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Are you really getting that? I don't know why :/
    sorry...

try:

http://anna.chimp.ca/kga/index.html

?

btw, thanks for the super-quick reply

FK Lover
    still The page cannot be found

who's server are you using?

My own, I called a friend and it worked for her, so idano what's going on. I'll try to find out, and post again later. Thanks anyway!

FK Lover
    i thought it was yours, put it up on a free server just for the test purpose!

good idea, I've put it on Geocities though...which is super slow. :/ I see it's a huge problem now, but my server is much much faster. 56K'ers will probably give up though...:/

http://www.geocities.com/_girlwithcurls_/

One other thing, what's the difference between top-down/bottom up loading? I mean, I know the difference, but should I be using one over the other? In what situations do you use each?

Darnit, hold on... I have to change the links in the swf

[Edited by Anna Banana on 04-29-2002 at 12:19 PM]

i'm on 56k temporarily, and it loaded in a decent amount of
    time. i really like the work too...nice!

those who are coming to your site to look at the business
    aren't going to leave because of the load-time anyway. i
    would only say to play with the .jpg optimizing level and
    find the best quality at the lowest file size. refer to
    the output report, as well as using your eyeballs. 8^)

if you already know all that....ignore me.

btw...i used the original url you gave, not geocities. it
    worked just fine for me.

Thanks so much...Im glad the original worked for you because it really is faster than most. The geocities one is working now too anyway, just in case anyone cant get the original to work.

You're right about the .jpgs, it's one of those little things I always forget to adjust. I can probably get away with a lot lower since the images move pretty quickly.

Thanks for your patience and the praise!

FK Lover
    got the original url now as well, nice work!

hmm, dont forget to align or your x,y values of the fonts you are using! to minimise the blurry effect which occurs in flash, and maybe you could use a different font....
    but i'm not completely sure about that, depends what you want your design to be etc. clear or with serifs etc!?

nice one

site loaded very quickly for me, i suggest some sound and faster transistions from home page to about page, a liitle slow in my opinion, otherwise nice layout and design scheme.

I love it.

Very tasteful background color-

dig the latin

speed is fine on DSL

didn't like the inverted color of brick against the earthy backgrounds and sky and brick.

really liked the cursor following dotted lines, subtle, with a little cool factor (guys, especially, have an inane, inate, insane, inherent love-- of crosshairs.)

The effect of looking up the building is strong.

Hahaha, glad to hear the crosshairs are effective No offense to female professionals, but the main audience of this page will probably be men. :/

Thanks for commenting on the inverted colors, I wasn't sure about that myself. It needs something there though. I don't want it to look as neutral as the rest of the page though. I'll try some different stuff today on that.

busssm, thanks for pointing out the fonts. I think it's time I clean my monitor, everything looks blurry from here, so I never know. As for the font-mixing, I do want to keep the handwritten font for the section titles at the top, but maybe instead I should try a little flair on the mouseover text, and use the architect font instead? What do you think about that?

Thanks for everything, all. I'm still getting out of the just starting phase. I'm off the demos, bought my very own full copy, and now I'm broke, but I'm so happy to hear that I'm on the right track.

Those white boxes at the begining are nice but should be confined to the middle space, the color could be more elegant, and there is alot of wasted space up top. Also center it on the page.

Good job none the less.

Originally posted by Anna Banana
    Another one of those "not done yet ones"...sorry, just want to know a little bit about load times. Is anything way too big? I know the intro is a little slow...any suggestions?

I must admit I haven't yet mastered the best way to arrange things for optimal speed, but I'm trying.

Any other comments would be so helpful.

http://anna.chimp.ca/kga

thanks jma, the space at the top will eventually be filled. I know it looks a bit empty right now.

I don't know about the white boxes thing though. Originally I had it masked to contain it in the intro box, but it looked kinda funny, do you mean i should make them smaller, or not expand them so much, or just mask them?

Also, if anyone would be so nice to point me in the direction of some good help on communicating between flash movies, I'd love you forever for it. I've read the article on Macromedia's site, but it deals with passing text. I want to click a button in the main movie, and have the side movies go to a certain frame...Maybe I just don't get it.

Anna,

Like the site. The intro was also a little slow for me. Thats always a problem when you try to move to many things. Occasionally grouping pieces that move together at the same speed and direction helps. Also you might want to stop and start parts so they don't move at the same time, especially if you have one thing continually moving in the back.

Also the site seemed a little small. And you might run into another problem. I did a couple of Flash sales presentations for an Architect firm and they wanted to throw in a lot of Pics, so be ready to make adjustments. You can always go wide.

The only other thing is a personal thing, when the titles come in it looks like they are being written backwards.

Otherwise looked good.

Xccelerant

Gmail is here

nope

too slow ugley buildings yuk

thanks for the input Xccelerant,
    I do have two more movies on either side of the box you see, they just don't do anything yet. :/ I'd like to have their pics and some other stuff in these ones, but Im still having trouble figuring out how to pass actions between the two. Just something I'm stuck on at the moment.

Sorry you don't like it Ryan, i promise it'll look better with more pics and color! Please come back sometime and check it when there's more, I really appreciate the help.

Hi

I don't think its too slow. Overall impression is very nice... looks clean and professional. Not too sure about the fonts though. The hand written fonts look good when used in titles and when contrasting with type but on their own look a bit funny. I like the brown colour but maybe use a few more shades in different sections. I don't like the way the graphics underneath the menu keep moving.. get a bit confusing when trying to see where the cross hairs are.

Hope it helps

Please check my site http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=307101

Thanks

Chris