A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Joshua Davis' PS2 cdrom

doppelganger
    Has anyone heard of this or perhaps.....own it? I recently cut a check to Josh for this CD, just because all of his stuff is just so freakin' wonderful, I figured I would help support him (like speaking at all those seminars wasn't supporting him already ). I'm still anxiously awaiting it's arrival in the mail.

In case no one knows what I'm talking about, visit http://www.praystation.com and be amazed. AMAZED I TELL YOU!!!

"Don't worry, you didn't see me"

I've bought one!

It's pretty amazing, as far as Flash goes. It's a little different then what you'd expect, as its pretty much like someone's personal file folder. It's absolutely huge, in terms of of size and number of files, and it shows what makes JD a master of Flash.
    I love the case, btw!

ditto. I got it too... love tinkering with the code as well...

Post a few examples? I keep meaning 2 buy it!

OVERRATED!!!!!

anyone agree?

doppelganger
    Overrated? Well, I don't really know because I don't have the CD yet. But from Josh's examples on his website I've learned that flash engines can create some beautiful imagery and some very wierd effects. And that Carnivore Engine was MAD!! I tried setting that up using the tutorial they provided and my brain hurt after 10 minutes. He might BE overrated, but that doesn't change the fact that he's VERY successful at what he does. If that's what overrated means, count me in.

doppelganger
    Just a quick question to those who already have it.

How long did it take for the thing to arrive?

It seems like it's taking FOREVER!! I'm beginning to think my mail guy stole it and is learning flash secrets AS WE SPEAK!!!

how long to arrive? quite.

I honestly forgot about it, came back from a trip, and it was sitting there waiting on me when I got back.

no worries. he's a travelling/busy person. and from my understanding, he's the one who's handling the sales and shipment.

post some examples? that's a good idea.

<now I gotta make some time.>

I bought mine from his room where he was selling them at FF last summer in NYC. Talked to him a bit about architecture, his room was adjacent to Popes.

It's something cool to have, I can't really remember messing around with the files that much though.

mg33

i bought my copy at the Design Museum in London as part of the Web Wizards exhibition

its very cool

a

Thanks to aria for e-mailing me this thread.

Tknaff1 - mail me, joshua@praystation.com - I'll check to see if your box was mailed out and when.

several CDROMS were lost during the whole September 11th tradgedy (disruption in mail service) So just drop me a line. Despite traveling it doesnt take too long to get the package.

kidpablo, How could $35 for a custom mold gray box made in Hong Kong with 4000 files of my work offered to the community for basically nothing - considering that the box alone cost me $20,000.00 to produce. Though I'm sure you have no problem throwing away $50 - $60 bucks for a videogame which has horrible package and teaches you nothing. So in the future it would do us all a great service if you didn't skirt around issues about pretending that $35 for 4000 files is overated, just say I'm a dick (since we know each other so well) and move on.

"Don't worry, you didn't see me"

Originally posted by PrayStation
    Thanks to aria for e-mailing me this thread.

Tknaff1 - mail me, joshua@praystation.com - I'll check to see if your box was mailed out and when.

several CDROMS were lost during the whole September 11th tradgedy (disruption in mail service) So just drop me a line. Despite traveling it doesnt take too long to get the package.

kidpablo, How could $35 for a custom mold gray box made in Hong Kong with 4000 files of my work offered to the community for basically nothing - considering that the box alone cost me $20,000.00 to produce. Though I'm sure you have no problem throwing away $50 - $60 bucks for a videogame which has horrible package and teaches you nothing. So in the future it would do us all a great service if you didn't skirt around issues about pretending that $35 for 4000 files is overated, just say I'm a dick (since we know each other so well) and move on.
    You gooooooo boy!

I emailed you once a while back asking who you went through to make the package. I never realized it cost 20g's!
    I love mine and i'm hoping to get it autographed one of these days. Do you know when you're ever gonna be on the West Coast?

Wichser
    while you here J, can you let out some info on where I can get that virtual ping pong console you gots?

gotta say that this cd is the bomb, ive had great fun ripping apart some of this mad stuff and once you have done it you realise that its just another fla and that "i could do that too"

worth every cent and the box looks good too but it can be a bit of a pain; everytime i get a vistor to my office its like "hey wtf is that"!

How much is the CD anyway?

What's the content? (apart from awesome FLA samples)?

josh, any rough idea on how much it would cost to send it to me? (i'm in Kenya)

cheers

Wichser
    Fadzter,

it's basically a mirror/copy CD off Joshuas HDD.
    which of course includes many FLA's

Smile

Originally posted by iCEBERG2000
    Fadzter,

it's basically a mirror/copy CD off Joshuas HDD.

In that case, does it include all the personal stuff as well: family pics, pets, travel snaps etc

I WANT IT!!!

how much?

Originally posted by TrIzKuT
    I WANT IT!!!

how much?
    The following is from his site. See his "propaganda" section for more details.
    HeHe, Jeez, I should get a cut for this...

I'm sure he's right though, I haven't seen it, but I'm sure the price is cheap given what you could learn by picking apart his FLAs.

"Usually we acquire and view media on cd-rom in a traditional manner, by launching an executable and letting it take over our desktops. This cd-rom is the exact opposite. Its purpose is for the viewer to sift through the 397 folders, exploring the 3,637 files which total 462 megs of data. It is everything I collected over the past year, which made PrayStation year 2 what it was. All original source files, art files, text files, accidents, epiphanies, etc....

I hope you enjoy this booklet and cd-rom - it's truly a glimpse into process, successes, failures, and accidents.

$35.00 for USA and Canadian Orders - $40.00 for all other International Orders - (this includes shipping and handling)"
    [Edited by jjmt on 05-17-2002 at 09:10 AM]