A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAVE a TXT file on user's PC with PROJECTOR

Well, If anyone can figure out how to save a simple textfile to a specific location I'd LOVE to know. I've been writting some "text file creators" for some of my CD-ROM projects in Flash. Where I put in all my variables and then create escape text from them for HTML textfields but the only way I can save them where I want them is to cut and paste them into notepad I'd love to be able to save them in a folder!

I think you're underestimating the power of Shared Objects. They're MUCH better than your average cookie.

They're easier to write to, they don't require an HTML page to work, and they can be remembered across directories or across browsers. I don't think there's any easy way to save out ALL root variables, but I would be surprised at the situation where you would have so many variables that had to be saved that you couldn't take five minutes and write up the proper code to use a Shared Object.

By the way, fscommand "save" was removed from Flash because of security issues. If you heard about .swf files being used to spread viruses, that's why it was taken out.

And SWF Studio IS a really good tool. I definitely recommend it for those creating cd-roms and .exe files. Be sure to check their forums on how to get some MX-only features to work properly with it.

SWF Studio sucks unless you've got the money to pay for it, cause 1.) It shows a logo on open and close and 2.) it doesn't even play your movie.

I wish to learn more about these shared objects... are they actual cookies or what? I don't want something that is going to get deleted if they decide to clear out their cookies or anything, I need something that stays, it's for settings on a program :-\

Master Poo Flinger
    they are a sort of cookie. and it's at the viewer's discretion whether it's deleted or even used at all. they won't get deleted if they clear thier browser's cache, but they can be found and deleted manually. you could just have a disclaimer stating that deleting the file will result in a loss of settings and so forth. or you could just go with a 3rd party app that writes the files. some of them are a pain to work with.

one that i recommend because of it's price is LPFlashEx at http://www.logicplus.com.hk . it's about $20. there are a few downsides to it though. you can only pay through paypal, and it sets off firewalls, because the app is a small xml server that sends/recieves events from the flash player. the things i like about it most is that it's event driven and can set the pc's screen resolution to what you want then set it back to normal when your app closes. its free for use, but there's some catch about your users updating the free license code every month or something like that.