A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FAQ whit flash, accessDB amd php/asp.....

Hello!

I have to make a FAQ section from a access database, PHP/ASP and my flash movie. I have two rows (among others) in my database q and a. When i go to my FAQ section in the flash page, i whant all the questions to be fetched fram the database. (I have that working.) But the challenge now, is that every question "string" has to become a lank, that opens a popupsite whith the correct answer from the database.

How can i do this? I tryed a few thing but I have to say i'm lost...

THANX goos

You need a movie clip with the followiing:
    a dynamic text field named "question"
    a button on top of it
    then for the generation of the movie clips, lets say that your question is loaded in with : "question0", "question1" +++
    place 10 instances of your movieclip on your timeline, name them "question_field0" -> "question_field9"
    Code:
    for(i = 0; i < 10; i++){
        field = _root["question_field" + i];
        field.question = _root["question"+i];
    }
    then on the button have a action that goes:
    Code:
    on(press){
        getURL("faq.php?question=" add this.question, "_blank");
    }
    then in your pop-up get the $question variable and display it.

That should generate 10 fields with your string in it, if you have more than 10 questions: make a "next" button and display the next 10 in the same movieclips.

Smile

Thank you very much, it's big help!

But i forgot to mention, that i don't know how many quetions there are. I'm not the one updating the database, I only have to show the content, no matter how many enties there are....

Just send back a "total_question=23" variable, then you can show 10 & 10 question on the screen.
    Include a "current_page=1" to see how many pages you need to flip through.
    Now you can show a "next" button if "total_question" is over 10, and a "previous" button if the "current_page" is above 1.

i will try that!! thanx - one last thing: how can i show all my questions in a scrollbar? still not knowing how many there are?

goos

That's one issue I just solved in a glossary by loading in all terms, initially display 10, then have a arrow up and down, and if the "question_number" was above 10 I could send them to the "next page", it's not a scrollbar, but it looks and feels like on, only that when you click you get the next 10 automaticly.
    Found that to be the best way , since each character a-z could have everything from 5 -> 100 (1000) terms in it, and more would be added later.