A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here write there own music?

EXCUSE ME ARE U CALLING ME DUMB? U BETTA WATCH YO' BACK...CUS US COUNTRY GALS GET NASTAY!!!

Ok...u guys lost me a long time ago...whos adam? Have you thought about combining hiphop and country hippity_hoppity? Or better still techno-country! I reckon it could be a winner...

I can't sing for toffy, but I gave it a go one 2 of my tracks. I used to write a lot of lyics a long time ago, but it's only now I've realised it's possible to put some pretty decent tunes together on the pc without having to know how to play an instrument. To me it's a bit like learning flash.

I had a listen to some more of ur stuff Jukkis. I like some of the tracks that have more of a beat. Night Train is pretty cool, and Slow Freak is pretty mello. The more ambient stuff is kind of lost on me, although I quite like experiemental stuff.

I had a listen to some of ur stuff as well askari. Like it! That's not all done on pc is it?

10 years is a long on time to me making music. You do it profesionally? I've had a go on a 808 and 909 but much prefer doing it on a pc were u can spend time laying things out. Reason is perfect for simulating all the kit without the expense, so it keeps me happy. You should take a look, I know of soundforge and acid, but this takes things a bit further in terms of what you can do. It really is the flash of music software as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.propellerheads.se/

BTW does anybody know of any sites like mp3.com that let you link diirectly to your tunes? I would like to turn my site into a mini mp3.com, but ideally without the hastle of hosting the mp3s myself.

Mike

Well...I know I can directly link to my stuff at ACIDplanet. I doubt your supposed to do it...but I don't think they would ever know the difference.

You just right click on the play buttons and do 'copy shortcut'. SEE

Originally posted by beelineuk
    http://www.beelinemusic.co.uk

I'd be interested in any feedback on both the site and the music.

The site is currently only optimised for PC, IE 5+, and Windows Media Player 7.01.

Mike

I've tried you're site with 2 different IE's (5.0 something and 6.0) and all I get is white frontpage...

there seems to be some javascript on index-page, maybe it isn't working properly ?

Thanks for pointing that out. I made a change a few days ago and hadn't realised I'd actually stopped it working.

It should be ok now

Mike

Thanks for the tip calpomatt. It will be cool if I can use ACIDplanet to host my files, although as you say I have a feeling ur not supposed to. Maybe I will concider continuing to host the files myself as its going to be very difficult otherwise, and it is only a small site.

BTW like your tunes. How long have you been writing?

Thanks

Been playing around with music for the last 9 months.

will eat you alive
    I do my own stuff, my friends think it's sh1t, but what can you do?

Free downloads in amongst a load of design pages, check it out if you're bored:

http://www.telekin.co.uk

Quality isn't so great but I do offer a free cd if you're interested .

telekin:
    __________________________________________________ __________

Yeah I know the feeling. Of the few people I've actually managed to get to have a listen, they all say it's sh1t too.

Maybe it is, but hey I've only just started, and I'm hoping I'll get better. I still need to sort out my website because it's very restrictive in the platform's it will work on. Once I've done that maybe it will be easier to get people to listen.

Your sites pretty cool, what does your free CD have on it?

Mike

will eat you alive
    Whoa, I misunderstood you at first there, I thought you were saying you got people to listen to my stuff and they said it was sh1t! Not that I would have blamed them!!

Anyway, the CD has 10 songs on it and some little 30 second animations which, in hindsight, aren't that good, but we live to progress, right?

Anyone's welcome to a copy but it'll probably be Mid June 'til I get round to making some more up 'cos this is the last month of the last year of my degree. So you could say that I'm a little busy right now!

Drop me an e mail if you're interested! (low quality audio files are available for download if you wanna test it out first!)

telekin:
    __________________________________________________ __________

anyone use anything besides software programs to make music?

yeah, it would be nice to know that folks still learn how to play an instrument to make music these days...

(it is an important part of musicianship to play an actual instrument)

I psuedo-play guitar. All I have is an acoustic and a crappy microphone so it's a little hard to get clean recordings. I can play Fur Elise on the Piano but that's about it. I want to get a keyboard so I can learn.

Here are a couple guitar loops:

- Matt

Yeah I can just about manage a few chords on the guitar.

But isn't that all you need? 3 chords and the truth?

Actually I don't think you need to be able to play an instrument at all, although obviously it helps. I guess it mainly depends on the type of music you are making. Everytime I write something using music software, it tends to come out as a dance.

I think it's especially hard to try and write Rock & Roll using software as you can never get the guitar effects.

Viva rock & roll...long live the smashing pumpkins!

Mike

Ya...the great thing about music software is you don't need an extensive music background to get good. You just need an ear for good music and the mental strength to learn the programs.

I would eventually like to develope some better musical talent outside of the computer though. I think it would be sweet to have better skills with piano and guitar. I'm already getting a half-decent understanding of what piano notes sound good together from the software.

yea calpomatt, i heard some of your guitar stuff before...sounds nice. how long have u been playing??

I am still learning chords and basic scales on the keyboard and hopefully will get to the guitar next year or sooner. I like the music software for web stuff, but prefer a keyboard or instruments as far as doing an actual recording and trying to get some vocals or something over it. i really don't think I need to be able to "PLAY" the guitar and keyboard, I just want to get chords and scales down packed and go from there...i seen people that only can play a few chords and make it look like they been playing for years....

I plan on using fruityloops for those extra sounds my keyboard may not have and to pump out mad tracks on FK Sound Loops section....and maybe sale to other web designers looking for loops

Cool Yes I write my own music, singer, songwriter and you

I am a musician, I write my own music including full songs, I am a singer, songwriter, loops and sound fx creator, trained singer, music is what I do, What are you inquiring about

Hey,

That's an impressive list. I was just curious as it's something I am interested in. I used to write lyrics a long time ago which I thought were pretty good, but could never do anything with them as I can't write music.

Recently I discovered Reason software by Propellerheads which is fantantic, and have actually managed to create some tracks for the first time. They're not exactly fantastic, but I am learning and I hope one day I'll get to the stage where I can put some of my old songs to music and even market them?

As you have some experience, maybe you could tell me is there a market for lyric songwriters? Or only for songs accompanied by music as well? From what I've heard it's the later, which kinda slims my chances of getting into it more seriously.

What stuff have you done? Do you try and market songs through an agent or perform them yourself?

Mike

To Beelineuk- You have mail, I sent you an email

Hi, there, I went to your webpage and or site, pretty neat animated character you got there, I am a singer and songwriter and can do just about anything when it comes to music. I sent you an email to your email address, so feel free to reply. I will see if there is someway I can help you. Thanks Jay Berlinsky

My experience and answer to your questions?

Originally posted by beelineuk
    Hey,

That's an impressive list. I was just curious as it's something I am interested in. I used to write lyrics a long time ago which I thought were pretty good, but could never do anything with them as I can't write music.

Recently I discovered Reason software by Propellerheads which is fantantic, and have actually managed to create some tracks for the first time. They're not exactly fantastic, but I am learning and I hope one day I'll get to the stage where I can put some of my old songs to music and even market them?

As you have some experience, maybe you could tell me is there a market for lyric songwriters? Or only for songs accompanied by music as well? From what I've heard it's the later, which kinda slims my chances of getting into it more seriously.

What stuff have you done? Do you try and market songs through an agent or perform them yourself?

Mike