A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Stopping a PreLoader

Hi:

I have a preloader on Scene 1 that checks to see if the Flash movie is loaded in Scene two. When Scene 2 is loaded, the movie moves to Scene 2 and the movie appears fine.

But, when I click on different buttons to pull in different pages (left half is Flash, the menu options; right half is HTML, the content of different pages), sometimes the PreLoader appears for a brief moment. This is only happening (as far as I can tell at this point) in a NetScape browser.

Is there a way to stop this? Is there a way to make the PreLoader play only once?

Any help will be appreciated greatly!

Thanks,

Mony
    SpacePoet_2001@yahoo.com

Senior Member Flamboyant Flasher's Avatar
    Preloaders typically stops themselves...Post the code for your preloader...ur issue sounds unusual...

Do you have the check in the fist frame of the preloader? Also, since you say it does it in Netscape -- do you have the latest flash plugin for Netscape? You might be running different versions. The flash movies should be completely independant of the browser.

PreLoader Problem

Hi:

Thanks for both your replies.

Here's the code I have in Scene 1 (it's 15 frames long)

In frame 1:
    ----------------------------------
    ifFrameLoaded ("Scene 2", 4) {
    gotoAndPlay ("Scene 2", 1);
    }
    ----------------------------------

In frame 15:
    -----------------------------------
    gotoAndPlay ("Scene 1", 1);
    -----------------------------------
    Scene 2 has only 4 frames. The frame 1 has a "stop ();" action in it on the ACTIONS layer, but that's the only ActionScript on the layers. I did this to give the user the option of listening to the sound loop in frame 1, or clicking "Stop Music" which takes the viewer to frame 4 where the sound is muted. They can click "Start Music" in frame 4 which takes them back to frame 1. Could this have anything to do with it?

Here's the script for the buttons:

"Stop Music":
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    on (release) {
    stopAllSounds ();
    }
    on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay ("Scene 2", 4);
    stop ();
    }

"Start Music":
    on (release) {
    play ();
    }
    on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay ("Scene 2", 1);
    }
    ----------------------------------------------------------

I'm kinda new to Flash so this is a bit confusing. It just seems logical to me that once a movie is loaded there should be no need for a PreLoader, and so it shouldn't re-appear again.

I do believe I have the most current plug-ins. I'm more concerned about other viewers and how it might affect them when they view the site.

Again, Thanks so much for your help!

- M

Senior Member Flamboyant Flasher's Avatar
    your preloader code is complete; that's the ado I possibly see...in any case, you need a thorough preloader, which I can send you, then you could add the rest fo the content, thus, user interactivity with the toggle buttons for the music...

let me note parenthetically, and for your understanding, you need to set a variable for the preloader. For example, instead if IfFramesLoaded, do this...you would need...Iframesloaded= total frames, do this...follow me? If not, I'll send you a preloader with comments and instructions, ok?