A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardeners can't flash, Can I?

This is my first site in flash for a friends landscape company. Seems a bit dull but that’s what he wanted. He supplied me with pretty crap images, and not very much content. Please give me feedback, I am new to flash but can’t get enough of it.

I have ear-mites! Help! MONSTERBOY's Avatar
    What's da Link?

Mr Snowman
    A drinking village with a fishing problem

Re: sorry

I click enter and I get 404 not found. Must be BT's fault

Try the animated flash thingy

The link to the flash site on the animated flash thing saying click here.

or just go to

http://www.premierlandscaping.co.uk/background.swf

I'd say gardeners can do web design!
    Good job.

the content's not too bad, though you're right that there isn't that much of it. i wouldve liked more info in the design section, more detail outlining what it is he does, maybe even a step-by-step explanation of his process on a typical project. also, the gallery section could use some info for each of the photos, like location, maybe some info on cost. before and after pictures would be a great way to show off his services.
    but anyway, onto the actual flash stuff. in the intro, the scrolling text was kind of jerky, you might want to bump up the framerate. also, it scrolled too slow for my taste, but the only options i had was sitting through it or skipping it, and the information presented wasnt found anywhere else on the site, and it seemed pretty important. the web is better suited for interactivity rather then presentational media, and flash pushes the envelope for interactive sites, so you should give the user more options with the intro, maybe a speed control or a manual scollbar, or at least offer the text in another section of the site. the scrolling text just doesn't work for me.
    hm, the home button brings me back to the intro. you should have it point to the actual home section of the site, or relabel it as 'view intro' or something like that. again, i reiterate that the intro needs a different approach.
    anyways, these are just some of the thoughts i've had while checking the site around.

they say 90% of flash is bad and makes poeple not want to go to a flash site and this site falls into that 90%.

you chose to use flash for no aperent reason . you accomplished a slow naviagation and hokey look.
    If your going to use flash have reason for example to make a game or create stunning media but dont use it to make a bland site that could be done in html much better you give flash a bad name.

this post is not meant to be mean but truth full you show some of good qualities but over all it needs to be redone in html.

If it was a first site to learn off and never show any one that would be fine but its not fine for a landscape company to use as there web presence.

and again Im sory Im not doing this to be mean I just dont like seeing flash misused.

they say 90% of flash is bad and makes poeple not want to go to a flash site and this site falls into that 90%.
    i'd have to agree with nickname88 here. for the most part, the suggestions i gave earlier apply equally as well to a flash site as they do to an html site. your site could easily be pulled off in html, and would be just as effective, but with less bandwidth and more compatibility. i went through a similar phase, making everything in flash right after i got the program, but soon realized that most of what i wanted to do could be done with html.

Thanks and no thanks

Thanks eqqman you gave me the info I wanted. Constructive… As for nickname88 well my reply to you is that I am not a coder and don’t know html although I am trying to negotiate actionscript. My reason for using and in your eyes abusing Flash is that my training is in the arts not computing therefore I work visually. This may sound like a cop out, but what I wanted to be able to create was a site visually. Flash allows that and yes this site is not “stunning media” but it doesn’t have to be. My friend wanted a site for his small company, for novelty value if you like, so I used the tool that I have a little knowledge of whilst learning as I went along. Posting of the url here was to get some constructive criticism so that I could improve it and my skills, not to get quoted from some Macromedia usability manual. Try telling people how they can improve as eggman has, and leave the dictates to Macromedia.

You know, that's a real good point cowan_paul. I too learned all my web stuff from the flash/visual end, I was never interested in coding. but now as I keep going deeper into flash, html and java and actionscript are coming into me as a result. That's a good point though that flash is easy for us visual - oriented people.

one word to nickname: please try to write in kinder speech! it's really not fair to people like cowan_paul who come here, sort of laying themselves bare by having a post in 'sitecheck', and for you to pull out karate chops. plus, my day gets tinted by reading posts like yours.

qoute from my original msg
    "this post is not meant to be mean but truth full you show some of good qualities but over all it needs to be redone in html. "

"and again Im sory Im not doing this to be mean I just dont like seeing flash misused."

eqqman "i'd have to agree with nickname88 here"

and once again I will say Iam sorry if my coments(for the third time) seem hurtfull but they are not intended that way. I will try to adress your comment below

1)As for nickname88 well my reply to you is that I am not a coder and don’t know html although I am trying to negotiate actionscript.

r)I am sorry I didnt realize you are not fimilar with web page design and I didnt realize you were not planning to start a web design company as most flash kit's members are.

you should learn web page making anyways it is easier than flash and ten times easier than action script. Macromedia dream weaver is like macromedia flash but you make web pages easy as 123 or for free use netscape's page builder.

2)My reason for using and in your eyes abusing Flash is that my training is in the arts not computing therefore I work visually. This may sound like a cop out, but what I wanted to be able to create was a site visually.

r)you can creat the same efects you made using dreamweaver(and you will have the benifit of it bieng a web page faster loading ect.) dreamweaver is just as visual as flash.
    you point and click and your done.

3)Flash allows that and yes this site is not “stunning media” but it doesn’t have to be.

r)good all the better if it doesnt have to be flash than dont that is the number one rule of flshing do what you can in web pages and what you cant use flash.

4)My friend wanted a site for his small company, for novelty value if you like, so I used the tool that I have a little knowledge of whilst learning as I went along.

R)I am sorry I did not relize this I thought this was going to be a page to show perspective clients who want your services and need to see what you can do.

5)Posting of the url here was to get some constructive criticism so that I could improve it and my skills,

r) I am giving you the most constructive you can get : start over in dreamveaver and make a web page(note eqqman totaly agrees with me he said so and quoted me) now monster boy does not and thats his opinion

not to get quoted from some Macromedia usability manual.

R)personal I say usablility is always number one and thats my opinion not from a manual I am an artist to as probably all flashers but Its more important to me to have a satsfied user than "flowerly" page

I dont know what ele to say but I hope this helps you understand my earlier comment

well ill be the mean one then
    its disgusting really
    colours, fonts, graphics, navigations and rest of design are primitive
    " ugh ugh, erg..agha agha ugh ugh"
    youre a long way off but good try

The site isn't as bad as these guys are making it out to be. Some people get their jollies off of being unnecessarily harsh.

The good:
    Clear text, clear navigation, easy to follow. Simple color scheme gives it a conservative businessy feel.

The bad:
    As you said yourself, there's not enough content. It's a bit dull. But, from a design standpoint, I think it's better to err on the side of dull than to flood your site with a deluge of gawdiness. The preloader/entrance page gives the visitor a bad first impression I think. I don't think you really need it, you're not sucking up much bandwidth with your site.

A little more content, more graphics, and I think you have a solid simple gardening business website.

P.S. Your website is everything that Stellios' website isn't. It lacks graphic finesse, but at least you can navigate the site and know what you're looking at. Stellios' website is shallow, unclear, and empty, but at least it looks pretty. Supermodel syndrome.

Originally posted by knomraski
    P.S. Your website is everything that Stellios' website isn't. It lacks graphic finesse, but at least you can navigate the site and know what you're looking at. Stellios' website is shallow, unclear, and empty, but at least it looks pretty. Supermodel syndrome.
    thanks for the comment just to reply: my site is not exactly content heavy although the biggest chunk is missing (the whole handball section) yet not finished just waiting for next seasons content. Its just the word empty that bothered me...

Thanks for all the comments

Thanks guys for all the comments good and bad. I find the solitary nature of doing flash sites creates a problem as I always got feedback at College, pushing your skills forward. This forum now gives me the opportunity to do that again. Thanks again for the time and the comments. Keep on Flashin!!!!

Well I'd also have to echo nickname here.

Your flash isn't terrible. Pretty good for a beginner, but using flash here doesn't make sense.

You can do some amazing stuff just in html. Since the advent of Flash, many forget the beautiful html websites that are possible.

For you I'd suggest you start over with html and put in a flash intro. I'm not totally sure you need an intro, I would ommit it all toghether if it was me.

You can still use a flash navigation with the html if you want.

Good luck.

ya, as far as the webpage, you need to seperate content from presentation. my comments above were mostly about content, which i'm glad were of some help. as far as presentation, it would be my own design choice to use html rather than flash (and the choice of most of the other posters in this thread as well, it seems). but if you want to practice using flash, projects like this are a great way to learn. posting in 'flash site check' rather than 'member sites' shows that you want feedback on your progress rather than showcasing a final work. good good, keep it up. keep an open mind to even the harshest of posts, but remember that the final decision is always yours.

well, thats a lot of rambling for what i really wanted to say. it's 'eqqman', not 'eggman'. check out http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=299674

I got it! I know why I mis judged this guy! becuase of his title it didnt say is this a good start no it was asking can i flash and the answer is no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    any body that tells you different is lieng or stupid! What you have created is not flash its more of a bad power piont thing.

but it is a good start

Originally posted by nickname88
    I got it! I know why I mis judged this guy! becuase of his title it didnt say is this a good start no it was asking can i flash and the answer is no
    no
    no
    no
    no
    any body that tells you different is lieng or stupid! What you have created is not flash its more of a bad power piont thing.

but it is a good start

nickname i dont see any great links to your great work, also what happened to helping this guy rather than knocking him its not the best site ever, but i have seen worse and u should try to guide him rather than knock him down.

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

post your url for us to ridicule (i dare u)