A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Flashkit is going under?

Or do some webloggers just have an overinflated sense of self-importance?

Gonzo marketing related to the Flash community

What replaces mass market, broadcast advertising is Locke's "gonzo marketing", which is not really marketing but "market advocacy" through participation, sponsorship and support. The internet replaces the us-and-them relationship (creative people broadcasting to couch potatoes) with a network of conversations, which is all markets are, really.

Photodude has written some interesting commentary on trying to pitch gonzo marketing to the average company.

For me personally it hits home with the relationship I see between the Flash community and the companies making their living with products and services targeted to the community and the regular customers. I miss a more thought-through relationship with the community from the likes of Macromedia, the related software houses, book publishers and the big Flash conference makers.

I think these people should read up on Gonzo marketing and try to figure out how their relationship to the Flash community sites need to be. There is a need to become more aware of the fact that many people are contributing a large amount of their time and money to be able to support these companies and their products, and that the companies need to provide back to the community helping them out. In more ways then what I see today. Its great to see Macromedia providing the community with more information and insight into their products, but at the same time - shouldn't that be expected when someone is delivering a for-pay product?

I have a feeling we will continue to see many good resources go under because of the lack of thought these companies have put into how they support the community. Even the largest Flash resource site today, Flashkit.com , has been struggling for a long time, and is only keeping its hair above the water because of the backing from their owner Internet.com

Will the large Flash resources survive in a climate where banner ads no longer pays the bills, and where the companies that are actually making money aren't backing them up with sponsorship and other important support?

I am not optimistic for the future of the Flash community sites. I hope that some of the big players will start to think about how they can contribute back to the community and help out the community resources, so that we can continue to have access to this broad range of high quality resources.

I would appreciate others insight and suggestions for how the community sites should handle their need to pay the bills, and at the same time be able to provide high quality to the community.
    Source: http://weblog.bergersen.net/

To make such a broad and sweeping statement to sell your own ideas is somewhat reminicent of the infamous "Flash is 99% bad" soundbite.

The new weblogging trend is great for developers - I make JD and Mike's a daily read. But I really get the impression from "articles" like this that the Wired article has created some inflated egos, and in the same respect, I think the market for Flash-related weblogs is already becoming oversaturated just weeks after the MX studio announcement (sort of like when everybody and their mother had a Flash community site, but only the ones which provided real value survived).

I just thought the community that is hundreds of thousands of members strong might like a chance to respond to a statement which was made on a semi-obscure blog. Is this akin to the "Slashdot is going under" wolf-cries which seem to happen every other month?

I am Flasin' till I die!

everyone loves FLASHKIT, we don't want it gone!!!

What is Flashkit? Hmmm ... has it something to do with the CL? I see a lot of people using "FK" ... is this short for Flash Kit? Hmmm ... can someone help me out here.

Anyway, FK has enough members to stay alive. No one can stop us now.

Fredi

Flashkit is not really going under is it? I don't buy it!

the members may be the problem, with all the $ needed for extra bandwidth!!!!!!!

Hopefully, they can cover the added costs with advertising revenue.

i still think fk should have a 'tip jar' - i would donate $5 from time to time...i've certainly got that much worth of help from here...

Señor member
    Will the large Flash resources survive in a climate where banner ads no longer pays the bills, and where the companies that are actually making money aren't backing them up with sponsorship and other important support?
    While FK has an ever expanding member base, the statement above must ring true to some extent. I don't actually contribute any hard cash to FK nor do I click on the banner ads any more no matter how enormous they are. In terms of a corporate entity, internet.com obvoiusly have a lot of cash to devote to FK but as with any business, the bottom line is profit. I'm sure they're not supporting FK for the good health of the Flash community.

There were lots of threads a few months back before John became admin where suggestions were being made about how else to generate revenue for FK and things such as membership fees were touted around. If memory serves correct, Gerbs generously offered the first $100.00

I don't think FK is on it's knees just yet but it'd be niave to think it runs on no money. The weblogs are raising a valid if not over generalised point.

I would be willing to pay for a membership here. The site has saved me more than a few times. FK is very valuable to me.

Perhaps I b**ched too early - looks like some positive stuff is coming out of this discussion.

http://weblog.bergersen.net/archives/000138.html#000138

Just seems like people too readily make Flashkit a punching bag, and as a former editor, I hate reading statements posed as fact which have no merit.

I still have a lot of qualms about the boo-hooing going on over the lack of ability to "get rich quick" with banners and yet not making an effort to offer unique content or innovative solutions. But this might be interesting to follow.

I agree ... Flashkit is Inspiration to all flashers around the globe and i am sure there will be lots a contributors if bad time realy comes .!!

Originally posted by nordberg
    i still think fk should have a 'tip jar' - i would donate $5 from time to time...i've certainly got that much worth of help from here...
    I would give, I have taken my fair share from FK.

I like the idea of a tips jar.

Ryan Kallok: Kallok Studios kallok's Avatar
    Ok if flashkit is going under,why do so many people hang out on the board?why do so many people even visit the site? I mean if there were like 5 people on the board durring 6 pm, thats a sign thats not good...but theres about 40 members plus 50 guests on right now,so that must say that the site si doing well!Long live flashkit!~

Señor member
    Originally posted by kallok
    Ok if flashkit is going under,why do so many people hang out on the board?why do so many people even visit the site? I mean if there were like 5 people on the board durring 6 pm, thats a sign thats not good...but theres about 40 members plus 50 guests on right now,so that must say that the site si doing well!Long live flashkit!~
    This is all part of the point being raised in the original blog. There are lots of members all using the site and its bandwidth without paying anything to help cover the costs of running the site.

if FK goes down i'm going with it..er life jacket anyone

Civilian
    Flash Kit is fine.

raising hell to the next level

if FK goes down. i know we can blame subway for his obscene footer

Señor member
    Originally posted by jstarkey
    Flash Kit is fine.
    What happens when Jezza's pocket money runs out and the hosting costs are no longer paid for by his paper round