A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: portfolio site for review

I'd appreciate any comments that you have. I'm still optimizing a few things, and working out a couple details. here is the URL: http://www.ryancramer.com/portfolio/

Thanks,
    Ryan

That's great! I love it!

the nav shouldn't remain visible if it's inactive when in a content area.
    in the portfolio section, i'd like to see bigger screen shots, or the work itself. thumbnails only show color choices, no real sampling of layout and functionality.
    (sorry, that is only the woodrow wilson that doesn't show more. maybe it shouldn't be first then...)
    as far as design goes, great job. not sure what the bkgd image is, but it works.

FK's Resident Butt Clencher !! buttclencher's Avatar
    thats an elegant design !!
    but what makes me post here is your entry page !!
    http://www26.brinkster.com/butt1/idl...20v2splash.htm
    well the link goes to my portfolio site which is on its way !!
    have a look and you will know what i mean
    i guess there are people arnd the world who come up with similar ideas

i got an error when i tried entering your page, so i couldnt see it... but my computer is a little screwed up, so its possible that its me and not your site

i really wanted to see it though too bad

Nice site Ryan.

The images and sound work nice with the interaction.
    Good photography.

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate you guys taking time to check out my site.

mcpeekj: actually the nav does dim to 40% opacity when not active, but I think that I need to dim it more. The portfolio shots are pretty small, but they are mainly there to generate enough interest so the user will click to visit the real site. Ideally they would have been larger, but I'm concerned about bandwidth as some of the portfolio .SWFs are starting to approach 100k even with highly compressed jpegs.

freestyle: what error were you getting? I haven't been able to reproduce it, or find anyone else that is running into the error. Let me know if it continues?

thanks,
    Ryan

make the text on flash required bigger ot goes blurry on mine
    excellent site
    culdnt see anything bad with it..

Senior Member Flamboyant Flasher's Avatar
    I don't like the back button. Thus, I rather see the navigation menu regardless of what part of the site I'm in.

Flamboyant Flasher: Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I generally prefer having a full navigation menu available as well. However, if you consider the concept being used here, that type of navigation would be confusing. This is a physical-location oriented design, and that is the intention. 'One size doesn't fit all - all of the time.' Would this concept be appropriate on a large site? Probably not.

thanks,
    Ryan

Nice site Ryan I like the Design, its clean and smooth.

/Fredrik

razorclean, stellios: thanks for the comments. i'm going to try and get some updates in this weekend to it. still trying to figure out how to make the thing run faster on the mac (we use macs at work).

anyone know of any mac optimizations? i've heard things such as setting the frame rate to 31 fps instead of 30 fps, converting tweens to keyframes, etc. But haven't seen any speed increase on the mac with these.