A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Opinion: Most POWERFUL software

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Upon a casual conversation with a random fellow, [after learning I was a creative], he told me he thought Photoshop was the most powerful software ever created by any company. (in terms of ability to perform thousands of unique tasks, what it could do, amount of features, depth, etc.) Of course his opinion was nothing more than ranting and making conversation, no doubt fueled by an article he read or something.

That got me thinking -
    What (in your opinion) is the ONE peice of software you could not be withouth. What has changed the face of computing in your years behind the monitor?

For me, I would say Adobe Illustrator.
    I guess this is a silly question to ask, isnt it.

definitely Photoshop for me.

Cool

PhotoShop. I cant imagine designing without it!!

Notepad, I couldn't live without it at all.

Photoshop is one of the more expensive anyhow. If we're just talking about graphic bitmap editing programs maybe it could get the 'most powerful software'. (But you can't compare it with programs that have their own scripting language, 3D programs, drafting programs...)

Was that the question?

Just about everything I work on has photoshop factored in somehow. Though I find myself using Freehand more and more. I couldn't be without word... I need the spellchecker.

FK's Official Cricket Eater. ViperGeckoFreak's Avatar
    photoshop no question. notepad is in second place though..

notepad is not powerful. Programs which are extendable and include their own language are the most powerful. director is very powerful when used correctly, you can get near console level games on the web, amazing.

Ambassador of Style
    I agree. Programs like 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, and Director top my list.

Photoshop is it, bottom line. When I was watching my behind the scenes options on the Star Wars Phantom Menace disc, do you know what program the boys at ILM had on their computer screen almost every time? Photoshop.

" What (in your opinion) is the ONE peice of software you could not be withouth. What has changed the face of computing in your years behind the monitor? "

If we didn't have simple text programs like Notepad, we'd all be in trouble. Anyway, I say PHP executable as second then.

What's the difference between Photoshop and Corel Draw?
    I never used Corel Draw!

With software programs, I think it's difficult to lump them all together and say which is the most "powerful". For example, Photoshop is the most powerful graphic app I use, but it doesn't build applications for me. I would honestly have to say that Flash is the most versatile program on my computer. With it I can produce web pages, CD presentations, stream video over the web, create games, build standalone applications, create greeting cards, build multimedia meeting presentations, create dynamic web apps, stream audio, develop complex math models, prototype programs, develop vector artwork (alothough I'd rather use Freehand for this) and much more.
    I would have to say Flash is at the top of my list, with Photoshop right behind it.

Hey, Ben (Agent02)... looking for that May release of your site!

Originally posted by EYE-YAD
    What's the difference between Photoshop and Corel Draw?
    I never used Corel Draw!
    Corel Draw would be better classed with Macromedia Freehand, not Photoshop. Photoshop is primarily a raster-based program while Corel Draw is primarily a vector program. Corel has another app called Corel PhotoPaint which is more like Photoshop.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    director 8.5

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I agree with JabezStone

Flash is v. powerful; versatile, flexible, easy and yet complex. Rarely does a day go by that I don't create or do something useful with Flash.

2nd, Notepad (Dreamweaver is good for complex tables, but not much else) and 3rd Photoshop.

So are you asking what we think is most powerful, or what we could not do without? powerful != better. In terms of power, however...

Adobe's Framemaker 7.0: it's notepad (or BBEdit) taken to the nth degree. Way more features than most people will ever need (multiple document managment, PDFing, conditional text, fully XML. My #2 would be 3D Studio Max, although I don't use it much these days (but I'm excited about Plasma), and FlashMX would be #3, and it's definitely the application I use the most right now.

As far as what I could not live without, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't be any of the applications I listed above. It would be the simple applications that have become like artificial limbs: IE or notepad or Eudora. On the other hand, I could always use Netscape, BBEdit or Outlook, and from that perspective, Flash is the one irreplacable piece of software I own.

#

Adobe's Framemaker 7.0 equivilant in MS world is Publisher it can do much the same things. Corel Print House or WP 2002 can also do much the same things.

I wouldn't say that any app is 100% unreplacable. Photoshop has the GIMP and Corel Photo Paint as alternatives. Flash can be replaced with LiveMotion 2 or if on a smaller scale KoolMoves or 3D Flash animator. Illustrator has freehand and Corel Draw as replacements. Even specialty hybird apps like Xara X have Creature House Expresions 2, Ulead Image Studio, and Mediachance's Real Draw Plus as competion.

Word has Corel Wordperfect 2002, 602 Office Text, Easy Office Writer, Lotus Office, Works 6.0, Star Office Writer (XML based), and Open Ofice Writer(XML based).

There are very very few apps that can not be replaced.

Dynamic Systems, Inc. mikaelian's Avatar
    For me 3Dmax is the most powerful.

Yes, Photoshop is very poverful. But I would strongly recommend those who use Photoshop also learn AfterEffects. In many aspects it is much more powerful than PS.

Ryan Kallok: Kallok Studios kallok's Avatar
    I think that Maya is more powerful than Photoshop.I just checked there site out (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/)and the artwork theyused in spiderman was made with Maya:

With great power comes great responsibility."
    It's the perfect theme for Spider-Man, the blockbuster feature that opened to rave reviews in North America May 3rd.

It's also the perfect catch phrase for Alias|Wavefront's Maya, considering the crucial role the software played in creating the film's outstanding visual effects.
    and even though Photoshop is abut 700.00, Maya Complete is now te super low price of 1,999.00