A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CRAP DESIGN

Piss Artist
    Anyone noticed any really god awful, useless and really badly designed sites out there lately?
    Companies claiming to be 'designers', when they clearly don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to design?
    If you know of any, and I mean REALLY crap design(not just someone/company that you don't like),then name and shame them. Also, if you have seen any really well designed sites out there, then list them in the GOOD DESIGN thread.

I can think of nothing worse than www.useit.com

You will not find anything as near as bad

I cannot name anything off the top of my head, but I have seen MUCH, MUCH worse than useit.com.

P.S. Maybe its not such a good idea to just publicly humiliate others (not that I like useit.com or anything...)

Mikhail

Originally posted by mmarkin
    P.S. Maybe its not such a good idea to just publicly humiliate others
    Do you know who Jakob Nielsen is?

Piss Artist
    Name and Shame I say, if they can't design then they shouldn't call themselves designers.
    And Jakob Nielsen has no idea about design, if he had his way everything would look crap but be easy to use.
    But this isn't a thread for slagging off Jakob Nielsn, so if anyone really feels the need(probably everyone) then please start a new thread.

name and shame?

didn't you start out somewhere?

a while ago, you weren't as good as you are now so just calm down eh!!!

People are all of varying levels of ability, there are great designers, great programmers and there are those aspiring to be. Its not about how good a designer you are, its how professional you are. A student doing a few small local sites is one thing, a professional design agency is another, level of ability doesn't matter. People who are not professional and claim to be, can be shown the error of their ways but to ridicule bad design is childish an immature.

Piss Artist
    Rubbish, I am mainly talking about companies that are putting out crap designs.
    As for your comment about "People who are not professional and claim to be, can be shown the error of their ways ", well erm.... how? If you have a company who can get away with selling crap, quickly done designs, how exactly are you going to show them the 'Error of their ways'?

Anyway, I think I've been fair, I also started a thread called GOOD DESIGN, especially to sing the praises of those of us out there who put a bit of time and effort into our work.

Rubbish, I am mainly talking about companies that are putting out crap designs.
    who defines crap. someone has mentioned useit.com already but one persons idea of crap design is anothers functionality heaven. You the judge and jury of crap design are you? I don't happen to like prayststion.com but its not crap.

As for your comment about "People who are not professional and claim to be, can be shown the error of their ways ", well erm.... how? If you have a company who can get away with selling crap, quickly done designs, how exactly are you going to show them the 'Error of their ways'?
    I was referring to college leavers and people who get their first (probably cracked) version of flash and think they can take the world on. By posting here saying "I am set to change the way we look at the web, I am the future of flash", we can and have pointed out that to be the future, the need to catch up with the present, learn stuff and get competent before they try to take work on.

Anyway, I think I've been fair, I also started a thread called GOOD DESIGN, especially to sing the praises of those of us out there who put a bit of time and effort into our work.
    cool, but isn't it all down to personal opinions. you may hate my work but I don't care, others love it.

too generic I'm afraid.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Piss Artist
    Why are you being such an arse?

Crap design = sites that have things such as green backgrounds with red text etc. Obvious things like that

Quote: Its not about how good a designer you are, its how professional you are. A student doing a few small local sites is one thing, a professional design agency is another, level of ability doesn't matter.

For the last time I am not talking about people who are trying to learn, everyone was there once.
    I'm talking about Professional design agencies selling crap under the guise of good design, and in this field level of ability does matter.

As for:
    but isn't it all down to personal opinions. you may hate my work but I don't care, others love it.

Well it is down to personal opinions, thats the whole point.
    By pointing out what is thought of as CRAP by the majority of the design community, hopefully it will make people more aware of what mistakes to avoid.

I'm not being an arse, please avoid abuse or I will have to close this thread, I just think this is an immature way of drawing attention to others faults. The boardroom is for (budding) professionals and seeing as you are posting here, that must mean you are a professional therefore you already know whats crap and whats not.

How would you like someone saying something of yours was crap, its demoralising and uncalled for!

Piss Artist
    so close it then, you've kinda ruined it anyway with your constant moaning.
    I just cant be bothered with it anymore, for someone that is all against people giving their opinion, you certainly seem to be very opinionated.

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by dazza3
    so close it then, you've kinda ruined it anyway with your constant moaning.
    I just cant be bothered with it anymore, for someone that is all against people giving their opinion, you certainly seem to be very opinionated.
    Thread closed.

dazza3, if you are to stay with this community, you're going to have to understand some of the rules.

Don't slander any other members of Flash Kit
    Calling Razor an "arse" is slander. We don't tolerate this type of behavior. This is very unprofessional and is much worse than crappy website designs.

If you would actually read his posts, he wasn't trying to stop you from having an opinion; he was trying to have a conversation with you. But you couldn't hear it and just kept ranting and raving. This is very unprofessional and is much worse than crappy website designs.

Also, slamming other people is not acceptable. It doesn't matter if they are friends, polictical figures, or even $5,000/hr Jakob Nielsen. This is also unprofessional.

And one last thing, slamming other peoples' sites without even posting a link to one of yours is childish, cowardish, and unprofessional.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/