A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple vs. PC

>>> slow computer will disrupt your workflow.

I totally agree. I work on both mac and pc. I have a mac at work and a PC at home.

I really love my mac because it looks so cool and it just seems crisp to work on, however it does crash a lot. My PC is much more reliable and it seems to publish .SWFs about 10 times faster.

There is also tons more software outhere for the PC.

Originally posted by monolift
    >>> slow computer will disrupt your workflow.

I totally agree. I work on both mac and pc. I have a mac at work and a PC at home.

I really love my mac because it looks so cool and it just seems crisp to work on, however it does crash a lot. My PC is much more reliable and it seems to publish .SWFs about 10 times faster.

There is also tons more software outhere for the PC.
    I don't use mac's that much but I think they are more reliable then window's based machines.

and what do u base that on? If u don't use macs? I use both and if u know how to use them they are both reliable.. but I've also used both in University and when people dont' know what they are doing, they can crash either with great successes. I've heard Mac users that have tried Win2k and say that if they had know about Win2k they would never have bought a mac and vice versa. A lot has to do with personal preferance. But I hear to much nonsense when people say oh the Mac is faster then a PC, and the MHZ thing is just a myth. Sure some of that is true.. U get a 1GHZ Dual Mac against a 1 GHZ Dual P3 and that might be true. But a Dual P3 set up is "old" in the PC world. But a Dual 1GHZ Mac does not equal 2 GHZ, same in the PC world, very very few apps can even handle 2 CPUs and most of those do it very lousy.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    very very few apps can even handle 2 CPUs and most of those do it very lousy.
    You have said this numerous times.. do you have a source.(not being a wise ass, just want more info)

Do you only use one app at a time? I use multiple apps at a time. Not only that if you are only using one app, the app gets its own cpu. the os gets the other.

duals rule.

Mac vs PC

serpent star originally asked which machine people used and why.

I finally came to this conclusion after debating it so long my eyes fell out of my head. I spend soooo much time sitting in front of a machine that it is important that I enjoy my time there. I am a visual mostly right brained person and I think that's a big part of why I enjoy working on macs much more than PC's.

Cannon vs Nikon, Crest vs Colgate, Chevron vs Shell, Toyota vs Nissan, (Ford and Chevy both suck).

serpent star, just decide which you would enjoy working on the most, and get a comfortable chair.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    jajajajajajaja

now that is a totally new thread.

of to start it now !!!!

I've heard Mac users that have tried Win2k and say that if they had know about Win2k they would never have bought a mac and vice versa.

very very few apps can even handle 2 CPUs and most of those do it very lousy.
    thanks for saying *vice versa* or i'm sure even more people would jump on the thread...

but in response to your second quote that very few apps handle 2 processors is a little off-base in the apple community: Photoshop and Final Cut Pro both enable dual processors, and that's definitely enough for me.

And as for the earlier comment (I don't know who wrote it) that there is more software available? You're quite right--which is exactly why I like my macs. I'll gladly have my iTunes work perfectly with my mac and my iPod instead of trying to figure out if I want to play my music through win-amp, real player, windows media player etc. etc.

But if you mean that professional software is PC only, I'll call you out on that. The only pro PC only software for the multimedia/web community that I'd bet anyone cares about is Interdev and Cold Fusion MX.

And in respone to the person who said that he/she feels Macs are over-rated in the design community I ask: Where are your sources?

Are you looking at your buddies on their dads' win-tel boxes who only make web sites for their personal *Flashkit Studio* portfolio sites and their local church group?

I think in the real world, any professional ad agency/architectural firm/design shop/video house, macs are prevalent (not the dominant machine perhaps, but prevalent).

Are you looking at your buddies on their dads' win-tel boxes who only make web sites for their personal *Flashkit Studio* portfolio sites and their local church group?

I think in the real world, any professional ad agency/architectural firm/design shop/video house, macs are prevalent (not the dominant machine perhaps, but prevalent).
    I don't believe that statement is entirely true. I know a lot of design firms that don't have macs in their office. My office only has one and it sits in a corner just there specifically to test websites on to make sure they are compliant.

Other than that we don't use macs. I don't see the need for them because the computers we have work perfect for our needs.

As I said before, use whatever you want to use, it makes no difference.
    [Edited by [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-] on 05-22-2002 at 09:37 AM]

are you referring to logixstudios?

No, logix studios isn't a company, it's my personal website. I'm refering to the design firm that i'm Design Manager for.

Originally posted by serpent star
    I would like to know what kind of computer you use and why.
    iMac G3 400. OS9. (Red )
    Why? I started using Macs around '92 with audio software. Before and during that period I was a Synclavier operator, which used the guts of an F-15 fighter plane-don't recall what the OS was or what it's definition was, but in a word: cryptic. Also, I had access to MS-DOS stuff, on what was probably a 386 Compaq.
    At that time, it was two completely different worlds. I never even considered anything other than a Mac for myself. Now, of course, the lines have blurred a lot. I intend to purchase a PC sometime, for testing and to be better versed in WIndows. (I wish I were looking forward to it.)
    My iMac crashes maybe once in five weeks, usually with some website that IE5.0 doesn't like.

I turn it on, do my work for one or twelve hours, back it up, turn it off. Then do it again the next day. My computing life is good.

Peas,
    BT

overall, Mac and PC's r the same!

Originally posted by erova
    And as for the earlier comment (I don't know who wrote it) that there is more software available? You're quite right--which is exactly why I like my macs. [/B]
    there are a lot more viruses available for Windows, too. i can't tell you how many times i've picked up a virus aimed at Windows/Outlook users and happlily deleted it, having done no harm to my MacOS/Eudora combination.

d.

Originally posted by dlowe93

there are a lot more viruses available for Windows, too. i can't tell you how many times i've picked up a virus aimed at Windows/Outlook users and happlily deleted it, having done no harm to my MacOS/Eudora combination.

d.
    nt/eudora or nt/ns have no problems either

If the ratio of users where inverted (90% macs/ 10% pc). the mac would have just as many virii targeting them.

windows is pretty vulnerable though. Outlook is like a petre dish or something. Like bread left out on the counter for a few weeks. like a cess pool or something.

Lightbulb

OK, first of all. What mac operation system are we talking about? True windows XP absolutley destroys Mac OS9. Thats true. But, we need to look at Macs new operation system. Its called Mac OS X and it runds off a Darwin version of UNIX. If you compair Mac OSX to windows XP, then yeah Mac OS X destroys windows. The only people that shoud be able to reply to this post are people that have much experience with both Mac OSX and Windows XP. Oh yeah, when is the last time someone had a mac with os x totally crash, duh, never!! Come on mac OS X people, you know how much better the Mac OS X is compaired to Wincrapy, back me up. Quit debating over the chips and figure out what operation system is the best. Of course it is Mac OS X. Yep.

I'm not sure if its a question about which one is better. The issue is Microsoft pumps a ton of money into schools ( at least in the U.S. ) and those kids are learning on a PC. When they begin to get creative they have always used a PC so that is all they know. The ratio will continue to be PC sided until Apple invests as much as MS in education.

We have one MAC and 10 PCs. We get our people what they need to do their job. They almost always want a PC....its what they learned on.

On a side note...its much more cost effective for us to buy software targeted around ONE OS/Platform.

Originally posted by MajorTom
    The issue is Microsoft pumps a ton of money into schools ( at least in the U.S. ) and those kids are learning on a PC. When they begin to get creative they have always used a PC so that is all they know. The ratio will continue to be PC sided until Apple invests as much as MS in education.
    are you guys sure I saw that quote right? hmm...here's a few articles regarding Apple, Macs, and education:

http://www.apple.com/education/emac/

(that's a machine solely devoted to education)

http://www.apple.com/education/digitalcampus/

(apple digital campus curriculum)

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/04/maine/

(here's a summary:
    The shipments will total 675 iBooks, enough to equip several classrooms of seventh grade students at each school.)

Granted, these examples aren't the ONLY time Apple has committed themselves to education, but I have to go to the beach now for memorial day weekend, and I can't find everything on this right now, but I'm sure some other guys can back me up...

Have a good weekend everybody...

Has nothing to do with whether they are providing computers for education, its the quantity. AND, it has nothing to do with what they are going to do...its what they have done....hence the ratio between PCs and Macs in the workplace, schools, homes.

Face it...MS does a better job at marketing their product...and you need a PC to take advantage of their products.

Face it...MS does a better job at marketing their product...and you need a PC to take advantage of their products.
    yup. that's a good point.

i sure can't use MSOffice, or Internet Explorer, or Windows Media Player, or Outlook on my Mac.

oh, wait, maybe that's not a good example…

d.

Originally posted by dlowe93
    yup. that's a good point.

i sure can't use MSOffice, or Internet Explorer, or Windows Media Player, or Outlook on my Mac.

oh, wait, maybe that's not a good example…

d.
    yeah really, its a factor of who can give away more free stuff. Concerning the different platforms penetration into schools.