A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Phat Chat error (PHP + chat)

Hey all
    I downloaded PHAT Chat from the Flashkit gallery and have been trying to get it running.

http://www.flashbuilder.ch

the only discrepency I can tell is that it was designed for PHP3 & I'm using 4.
    has anyone had errors that looked like this...

Warning: Undefined variable: message in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\chat\chat.php on line 38

Warning: Undefined offset: 1 in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\chat\chat.php on line 49

and do u know how to fix it?

I think this has to do with the error reporting PHP is set at on the server. At least that is usually the case when I get these errors - other then that It would be impossible to say without going over the script.

Anyways you can try adding something like this:

if (!isset($message)) {
    $message = "";
    }

That will take care of the first 1. I'm not certain about the second error though.

You can set the error reporting to a lower level in the PHP.ini file if you can modify that. (basically turn off the warnings).

It looks exactly like an error reporting issue. Try turning off error reporting and see if it works. Make the following the very first line of code:

error_reporting(0);

If that works, try using the following instead. It will not totally disable error reporting and that may come in handy someday:

error_reporting(E_ERROR | E_WARNING | E_PARSE);

Smile no errors :)

Thanx guys.
    that did it. it's quite a cool little chat too.

have u seen a good MySQL chat anywhere? it would make more sense to run it through a db for larger sites? I'm just doing homework so I can offer it to my clients.
    happy hacking
    D

Hi there,
    I'm currently creating a flash/PHP/mySQL chat room with all features.
    There arn't many out there (if any at all).
    If you goto http://www.phpforflash.com and ask within their forum i do know that a guy named Matt was giving away the source for a partially completed chat room.