A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: in need of good insight

resolved you wanna check this out

beta version: http://www.eadesign.com/is_beta

Check out my company's beta site. I need your help to make it perfect before taking it public. Thanks to all in advance.

- DB

PS. If there's something you don't like, be brutual.
    [Edited by dmbit on 05-21-2002 at 04:28 PM]

nice site, I dont really care for the gradients on the navigation or the animation that you put on them, I would do something a little less quarky, dont strech them in and the bouuncing is cheez. I think the theme of your site doesent match with your nav,

love the header graphics.
    i always think that icons for nav are cheesy, this is no exception. as for the nav animations, i'm not sure. they're different, which is nice, but i don't know if i like them or not. since i'm indifferent, it means i'm not against it, so i'll move onto something with an opinion.
    for the sites that you don't like to from your portfolio, atleast give me an option to see a bigger screen shot of it. thumbs only show me color choice, not functionality or layout or anything else.
    be sure to title your pages

I think it looks great in my opinion. I like the navigation icons and animations alot, but the bouncing is kind of nauseating. The section titles when you hover over the icons could be more apparent (i.e. closer to the corresponding icon or bigger). I really like the nav because it doesn't look like a lot of the stuff I've been seeing lately. Good work!

much appreciated

so far, the 3 reviews you guys posted are great. good hosest opinions. i wanted to thank you all for takin the time to look.

if anyone has some loading stats that would be cool too. i'm interested in how it performs for different machines/connections.

thanks again, and keep it coming. i'll be happpy to check anyone's site that does the same for me.

regards,
    DB

I think the site is great. I like the HTML/Flash hybrid alot. Colours are nice and clean, although on the Nav icon of the compass, it hiccuped a bit on my machine...perhaps you should preload it.

Just as an aside, could I ask you how you do the blur effect on the logo? I'm curious as to how people do that.

thanks
    b

How do you get a movie inside an odd shaped window like the one on top because I am starting a flash site with a window in that shape but I don'w know how to make things stay inside the odd shape.

masking

To answer your question:

The movie inside the window effect can be done with a layer mask. Basically you take a solid shape that you want for the cut out and put in a layer all by itself. Then put whatever content in the next layer down. Then set the shape layer to a mask and it should cut out the layer below it.

The only problem is trying to mask movie clips in Flash. I found that if you set the shape's fill to a clear color (alpha = 0) it will do it. Otherewise you just see the shape with the movie running behind it.

If you have any other questions about how things work, feel free to drop me an e-mail, bit@eadesign.com.

Thanks checkin the site.

- DB

hey brah.

I love the site.

Allthough the bouncing could be done alot smoother. You need to title your main page.

I was just about to type that you should include links to the sites youve created from your work section. But i just found out its the 'item detail'; i think you should reword that somehow so thats its more plain and noticable that that is a link to the site being previewed. you should prolly even make the thumbnail of the site a link also.
    and the thumbnails are verrrry small viewed at 1200x1600. i was finding myself squinting to see the graphic.

other than that, my first impression was "why cant i do work like this" lol..

MarctheMan.

This morning the site looks even better to me than yesterday, even the boucing looked okay (mabye I wasn't feeling well yesterday). I like your site so much because it's exactly my taste. I love gray gradients and the technical look. Anyways........it loaded and ran perfect, fast, and clean on my machine:

Windows 2000, IE6x, FP6, 1024x768 res.

Just wanted to drop a quick thank you to everyone that has posted. I have been making changes with the little amount of time that I have. You can now view the site in production.

http://www.eadesign.com

This doesn't mean that I won't be making more changes, just that I have some clients that were chomp'n at the bit to see the new site. Thanks again to everyone that has contributed. You should know that I've printed every response and will be gradually making the changes in the weeks to come. You people are what makes FlashKit such as great community. Cheers.

There will also be a lot of new features coming online in the next few weeks, so please check back often as I'm always interested in more opinions.