A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

credits

I'm not sure if everyone wants to use their forum nickname or their real names???

If we're going to use the forum nicknames (which I think is ok) then they would be as follows...(to my knowledge)

Zoranvedek - animations / music / graphics
    MrJoseph - animations
    Ajcompany - credit screen
    Blanius - Game Over animations
    Kusco - javascripting / maze design
    3DFA Crew - Developers of 3D Flash Animator

'This game was created in commemoration to all those really cool arcade games that lost their popularity during the 90's .'

'This game and all characters in it have been recreated and are fictional. Any resemblance to any such real game or character is pure coincidence.'

Just added this for a little humour

Cheers,
    Ed

me again

He guys couple of notes:

I made a small (18k) loader movie since at 200k it will take a few moments to load for most people. I'll post it in a moment at
    http://deadyeti.com/blanius/insaneloader.html
    http://deadyeti.com/blanius/insaneloader.movie
    http://deadyeti.com/blanius/insaneloader.swf

Ed, Something to think about regarding the javascript..

I noticed that you used different arrays for keeping track of aspects of the objects then I realized that I remember reading the the help that you can add a method to any object in other words you could instead of
    Code:
    // This is a copy of a cloned animation for the badguys
    aBadGuys			= new Array(4);

// This is used to tell us what's happening to the
    // badguy. ie. running scared or has been eaten by
    // our ever hungry hero.
    aBGStatus			= new Array(4);

// will contain clones of all the badguy animations
    aBGClones			= new Array(16);

// this is used to tell use which direction our badguys
    // are travelling.
    aBGDirections		= new Array(4);
    Perhaps do:

reference the status via

aBadGuys.status
    and the direction via
    aBadGuys.Direction

I certainly would not rewrite the code at this point but for future reference.

Hi Bret,

I'll have a look at the loader movie a bit later but for now I'm redesigning the methods I've used for the maze. So in effect I'm rewriting the code.

I'm doing this because the game has slowed down to such an extent that it's almost painful to play on slower machines.

The new methods I've come up with should reduce the need for some of the loops that are currently being used. I'm also documenting the new methods in a spreadsheet (you'll see why when I publish it) to help explain the process.

So if anyone is currently working on something then please DON'T STOP as we'll still be able to get things rolling.

I have tried creating my own set of properties for an object and it didn't work. I think you can only do this for something that is not an element. I'll give it another go just in case.

Cheers,
    Ed

Stanley..........

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/insaneman.html

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/insaneman.movie

I don't know why but I got got a line too, and I did him completely from scratch. This may be a bug and unfixable(I hope not).

I did a little creative placement(notice his body and mouth both move backward as it's opening), and now its nearly impossible to tell he's below the dots, the power pills though are another story, I can go ahead and make them a hair smaller and that should take care of the problem.

-Jason

Power Pills

Hi Jason,

Don't worry too much about the power pills. I was able to get around the problem of the ghosts being underneath the dots by cloning the layer.

The catch is that the layer has to have an animation in place of a chooser. This shouldn't be too much of a drama to get around.

I'll have a look at it all when I get home tonight.

Cheers,
    Ed

Re: Power Pills

Originally posted by kusco
    Hi Jason,

Don't worry too much about the power pills. I was able to get around the problem of the ghosts being underneath the dots by cloning the layer.

The catch is that the layer has to have an animation in place of a chooser. This shouldn't be too much of a drama to get around.

I'll have a look at it all when I get home tonight.

Cheers,
    Ed
    I already shrunk em down some, no biggey, just scaled the entire animation.

I'll be out till this afternoon, when I get back I'll attempt(no promises)to get Stanley straight as far as his up and down are concerned. I figure it will be a good way for me to practice some javascripting, hopefully I don't screw too much up in the process(cross your fingers)....

-Jason

stanely fix

I think I've fixed Stanley!

Since he was a circle and the open area was just another layer on top I think it was just showing through, I think "resaloution" had a lot to do with it.

I drew him from scratch only using lines and filling the result. When I animate hime it's fine...... One problem.

There is something wrong in my copy of insaneman now and he runs through the walls and off the screen, all I did was redraw the chooser parts. So he's not ready for prime time just yet.

I've copied the Insaneman chooser out and pasted in empty movie, so that He can be cut and pasted into whatever is current.

http://deadyeti.com/blanius/insaneman_notfull.movie

The game over I have is:
    http://deadyeti.com/blanius/i_game_over.html
    http://deadyeti.com/blanius/i_game_over.movie

and again the loading movie is
    http://deadyeti.com/blanius/insaneloader.html
    http://deadyeti.com/blanius/insaneloader.movie

[Edited by blanius on 06-04-2002 at 09:04 AM]

Excellent! <Mr Burns>

Bret, I've rechecked the use of using other properties with an element and all appears to be good. I'll be rewriting the code around this too. Thanks for the reminder! I like the loading movie too.

I can't wait to play the final game!

Jason, nice animation for Stanley. I'll be converting it from a chooser element to an animation to eliminate the actionscripting required (read below).

Also I have a suggestion...why don't we use two paint objects for the animation sequence? One for the body of Stanley so that it more closely fills the 16x16 tile size. The second for the horns which would sit underneath Stanley's body but the tile size would be 24x24 which means that we can have more defined horns for our hero (an additoinal 4 pixels more above his head). This approach would then make Stanley look full bodied and have a decent set of horns which could also be animated??? The two tiles would have to be centered concentrically with each other so that when we rotated the animation it wouldn't disort. I know that the horns would appear over parts of the wall but that's cool because they're supposed to be on top of his head anyway and perhaps should be?? I'm rambling ... bad habbit...

Anyway, I've redesigned the maze structure (internally) so that we'll have a faster playing game - that's the theory.

I have also been doing a bit of experimenting with actionscripts vs. javascripts. Very interesting indeed! Actionscripts will only run as fast as the times per second setting even when you use a while loop that shouldn't exit out until it's done. Whereas javascript will run the while loop in a blink of an eye! So I've now taken any action scripting out of the main loop of the game. ie. say you have a while loop in actionscript that has 100 iterations and the tps is set to 2. It will take 50 seconds to complete the loop. Javascript will do this in a flash (pardon the pun)

The entire code is being rewritten, restructured and re-analysed with optimum performance in mind. I've removed a lot of redundant code and replaced it with arrays which are acting as lookup tables and is much, much faster than using a SWITCH or set of IF statements.

Everything is being documented as I go and I'm hoping to even cut the code that I originally had down to about half!! - well the main game loop anyway and this doesn't include all of the original comments either

This process will take me a couple of days to complete and as soon as I have the new version working I'll post it. (on the web that is!)

I talk a lot. we'll see who really reads my ramblings ...

Cheers,
    Ed

Hi Bret,

The Game Over looks great!!! Only trouble is that I get a page not found error when trying to download the .movie file???

Welldone too on fixing the problem with the animation. I'll check out how you did it for my own reference

Cheers,
    Ed

oops

Hi Bret,

The Game Over looks great!!! Only trouble is that I get a page not found error when trying to download the .movie file???

Welldone too on fixing the problem with the animation. I'll check out how you did it for my own reference

Cheers,
    Ed

Oops didn't upload it LOL
    Fixed....

Done and double done.......

Bret I turned your insaneman into an animation(also made some minor changes), then I made another animation of a 'halo' of exploding horns-24x24(Ed, good idea), I also added a little bit of actionscript so that the halo now follows him around wherever he goes.

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/insaneman.html

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/insaneman_new.movie

I'll look into to 'Stanley's' positioning later, I don't want to start making changes(and screwing things up) if the codes going to be all different by the time I get them made.

-Jason

Hi Jason,

That's looking really slick!

I have one more suggestion

If you add the horns as a paint object 'inside' the Stanley (or visa versa - which every way that looks best) then you won't need to use the actionscript to move the horns in sync with Stanley and they'll be rotated around correctly as well.

But it's looking really good anyway!!!

Cheers,
    Ed

Hi Jason,

That's looking really slick!

I have one more suggestion

If you add the horns as a paint object 'inside' the Stanley (or visa versa - which every way that looks best) then you won't need to use the actionscript to move the horns in sync with Stanley and they'll be rotated around correctly as well.

But it's looking really good anyway!!!

Cheers,
    Ed
    I tried that to start with, but I got some strange results, mainly it wasn't centering correctly at times(not all the time, but sometimes), and either the horns would be in the correct position(to the 16??)or the main IM animation would be. I'll look at it again though, and see what can done, not sure which one I had them both in originally, but perhaps if it where in the other?<----ignore all of that.........

I originally changed the insaneman layer size to 24x24 and then pasted it in, I'll leave it the same size(16x16) and then go from there. It should work.

-Jason
    [Edited by zoranvedek on 06-04-2002 at 11:10 PM]

a few sounds

Hey, guys, I've been watching this project unfold and just haven't had much time to try to get involved. I'm planning on looking at as much of the programming and drawing as I possibly can to learn (I'm still studying the breakout game code). Anyway, I did want to try my hand at making game sounds, so for what it's worth, I uploaded a few chomping noises, etc at http://www.pedaplus.com/insane/insane_sounds.zip. These are just a few more to add to Jason's many fine sounds as possibilities...?
    Anyway, it's been fun watching this project develop!

Jon E.

Smile Good Game

Hi!

The results of this idea, are simply wonderful and surprising congratulations!!! to all. and specially to the Creators. This community without You would be boring. It is my modest thought.

Joseph