A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Fantastic

Jason,

That looks fine. I know that 14x14 is not a lot to work in so maybe this idea instead - use the 16x16 for the characters and 14x14 for the walls.

If you do this then remember to keep the butts of the walls right up against the edge so that they appear seamless when stack against each other.

Otherwise, this is fine.

Mr. Joseph,

This is a project for everyone, your contributions are most welcome as are anyone-elses. Perhaps yourself and Jason can work together with the animations??

Welcome aboard!!

I'll sit back a bit until some of the animations and wall graphics are ready before starting on some coding.

Does anyone have or know of a good source for sound effects?

Just a thought too, can we have the 'Insert Coin' prompt come up too just having some fun.

Cheers,
    Ed

Re: Fantastic

Originally posted by kusco

Does anyone have or know of a good source for sound effects?

Just a thought too, can we have the 'Insert Coin' prompt come up too just having some fun.

Cheers,
    Ed
    If no-one else has any I have a few laying round.

I like the insert coin idea, perhaps even have a drag and drop coin to start the game(or is that going too far???).

-Jason

Yeah, maybe I could make a loading movie. Also thinking (always dangerous for me), could we load the levels from named files (1.txt,2.txt,3.txt) and is there a way to something like eval(something) in a load from file? I have had some experience with creating loading movies, and like them much (I have a 56k modem).

I'd like to help in any way I can.

Re: Good IDEAAA!!!

Originally posted by MrJoseph
    I can help with some animations.
    Only they say in that them I can help. I've available the nights and the weekends.

Joseph!
    Let me know what you'll be animating so we're not duplicting efforts. If you want to do a 'power-up' or 'death' sequence for the main character feel free to use what I have as a starting point. There is a still of 'insaneman' in the chooser on the file titled "motion_ani", view=rest.

We also need the bad guys (traditionally ghosts, but if you have a more creative idea, then by all means go with it), power pellets, cherries, etc. ........

-Jason

loading movies

Hi ajcompany,

I think that this is a good idea. I think we may need to consider how this would be done.

My thoughts are we need to develop the screen layouts first. This would mean having a predefined number of layouts that would be used throughout the game. I'm not aware of any methods for being able to use an eval expression which is why I think we need to decide on how many screens we want in the game.

Do we have any takers on designing some screens?

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here so bear with me. I'm about to go into detail about how I think the tiling system should work with arrays.

As Bret has already indicated we use a numbering system to identify which tile is being referenced in an array. The number used will also correspond to the position of the tile in an array of tiles.

Here's what I think is a good start:
    [list=1][*] wall corner piece[*] wall end piece[*] wall straight piece[*] wall t-piece[*] our here - insaneman[*] ghost or bad guy #1[*] ghost or bad guy #2 (note this is the look of the ghost/bad guy when our here eats a Power Pill.[*] power pill[*] dot[*] cherrie[*] peach[*] strawberry[*] bananna[*] orange[/list=1]
    We can add more to the end of the list as we need to.

Using the numbers corresponding to the tiles above we can then make our grid/tile system and easily reference it with indexes into the arrays.

Hopefully with the above information we'll be able to make a start on the development of playfields (screen layouts).

Is it showing that I've done a wee bit of game development before?

Using the above list I'll put together the javascript code to setup the arrays we need.

Cheers,
    Ed

Ed,

Don't forget the power-up and death sequence for insaneman.

I've got some work to catch up on this evening, and after that I'll start working on some more animations.

-Jason

Hi Jason,

Yep, quite correct.

15. Insaneman Power up
    16. Insaneman Death
    17. Ghost/Bad guy runaway at power up

Thanx,
    Ed

alriiiiight!

you guys been busy! its all excellent progress. Where would you like assistance from here? I'll have a think about some methods of collision detection ? or something else? I'll review some of the suggested methods and get back to you.

insaneman. love it.

- Damien

Hi Damien,

See what happens when you leave us for too long!

Any assistance, suggestions, ideas, whatever is most welcome.

I'm quite excited about the current development and any future projects that are spawned as well.

Cheers,
    Ed

Heres a basic Stanley to work with, I'll probably be making some changes to him, but it's late here, and I need sleep:

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/stanley.html

If anyone has made(or is planning on making)a chooser template with the different positions for everything, please post it, and I will start adding the different animations to it as I go along. That way there only one file to update, as opposed to updating the different elements(within the chooser) one by one.

-Jason

Originally posted by zoranvedek
    Heres a basic Stanley to work with, I'll probably be making some changes to him, but it's late here, and I need sleep:

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/stanley.html

If anyone has made(or is planning on making)a chooser template with the different positions for everything, please post it, and I will start adding the different animations to it as I go along. That way there only one file to update, as opposed to updating the different elements(within the chooser) one by one.

-Jason
    Hi! Jason
    This is my sketch of insaneman, I've tried to give expression him, I cannot reduce the size, because I lose the expression when exporting.

I like the one that you did! the one that makes is single an exercise. Maybe an idea.
    http://www.blender.island.3dup.net/IFA/movie_102.html

Thanks!
    Joseph!

Ok, sounds great! I'm not quite sure about the insaneman sort of kar-ic-it-chure (phoneticly cause I don't know how to spell it) but everything else looks good to go!
    Loading levels from a/an file(s) (DKerr, you may know) if there is some way to eval(levelon) in a load from file then we can do unlimited levels, or use the eval() function and just load as many levels as we want from 1 file and just have the syntax like:

Level-X-Y = Tile
    or
    1-1-1=12

Something like that. You could arrange the j-script to be like:
    for loadx
    for loady
    level(loadx,loady) = levelon & "-" & loadx & "-" & loady
    next loady
    next loadx

of course the fors aren't right and I'm not sure if you can have multidimensional arrays (if you can't dkerr, that may be a feature I suggest) if you can't have multidimentional arrays, what I always use is something like

(loadx * 100) + loady

Hope it helps

oh, to have insaneman and the ghosts move smothly, you don't want them as a tile otherwise you may have some problems moving them smothly.

Hi ajcompany,

I've been giving your suggestion about using text files to load up the different levels. We could try to implement this using javascript in HTML. This would need to load a variable in the movie with the layout of the level which will then need to be converted into an array of sorts. I have a small reservation about using text files in that the game would become dependent on the text files being kept somewhere on a web server rather than have the game as a complete unit (just my thoughts).

About using tiles: This shouldn't posses any problems. What I'm currently developing is the code to handle all of this. It's not too difficult to do and should be ready for everyone's approval in a day or so.

However, I've hit upon a little problem with using either a Chooser or Animation element. Both of these elements properties are not accessible from within javascript which means I can't set the velocity or direction of them. I'm having to revert to using the individual frames of the animations directly.

If anyone has another idea then please let me know. In the meantime I'll continue developing the code to move and animate the characters.

Cheers,
    Ed

Smile Bad Guy

Hi!Jason
    Jason please reviews this bad guy, if there is some thing that is not considering, tell me I'm going to make others, to see as they work.
    http://www.blender.island.3dup.net/IFA/movie_103.html
    Thanks!
    Joseph

Joseph thats great, can you squeeze him down to 16X16 with a 1 pixel border(i.e. 14x14)?

-Jason

interesting, but I think maybe a little smaller, except in title screens (if we have them). I understand the problems with text files, but hard-coded levels just wouldn't be any fun would they? If, as you suggested kusco, we can have it load from html. Gotta go.

Hi group,

I've not forgotten about this project so please don't panick!

What I have been doing is taking a very close look at the example movie that young Jason has posted earlier (movie 899 - I think). I'm interested in the use of layers in combination with a chooser element.

This caught my attention after I stated in an earlier post that choosers/animations couldn't be used easily with javascript. I'm not so sure about this now. So, I've been busy 'experimenting' (for lack of a better word) with this method of animation.

I had already done a fair amount of coding to get the animations to work but this method will cut that amount of coding down quite a lot.

Right now I'm making some adjustments to the code to incorporate the use of Layers and I should have something ready to show the group a little later.

My apologies for the delays.

Cheers,
    Ed

Re: Bad Guy

Originally posted by MrJoseph
    Hi!Jason
    Jason please reviews this bad guy, if there is some thing that is not considering, tell me I'm going to make others, to see as they work.
    http://www.blender.island.3dup.net/IFA/movie_103.html
    Thanks!
    Joseph
    Hi! Jason
    I've not been able to reduce the frame to 16x16 and to maintain the resolution of character.

Which is the reason to limit frame 16x16. Why not to handle a size of 50x50 like minimum and 100x100 as maximun by example.
    Please I need its direction in order to see how I can solve.
    Thanks!

Joseph

Hi MrJoseph,

We're keeping the size of the characters down to 16x16 as this is the size of the tiles we'll be using in the game.

A tile will hold a single graphic like the ghost, powerpill, wall, cherry etc.

If the tile is 50x50 then we have to increase the size of the movie to cater.

Think of it as a 'creative challenge'

Cheers,
    Ed