A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Hmmmmm, Fruity!

Hi Jason,

I think that the friut is fine. If you feel like animating them further how about making them shine or swing or rotate or......

Sounds like the sound files are very high quality. Just a thought about the 5Mb file - can we put that up on a web page somewhere and post a link to it? I think I have something like 495Mb of unused space on my site.

I can't wait till the download finishes so I can listen to what we have here.

Also, on the smaller dot, I've asked a few friends about it and they seem to think it looks fine. So I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have nothing to do

I'm not sure about the status of the badguys. I believe that MrJoseph is looking after these. I can substitute them for the ghost that I did as a temporary measure.

Who wants to work on the credits screen??? Here's an opportunity for some creativity!!!

Cheers,
    Ed.

Made some changes, if you like them, use them, if not don't(dots are smaller, lines are wider & textured somewhat).................

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/insaneman.html

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/insaneman.movie

I also figured out why our hero is beneath the dots and not above them. I'll work this afternoon on a way to fix that, might have to use bitmaps/gif's, if it's not going to be a problem.

-Jason

Even better

Jason,

This looks great. I'm going to use this instead. The graphics are starting to look even better than the original game! I'm looking forward to the final version

re: our hero being underneath the dots is because I'm using clones for the dots. Whenever you clone an object it then becomes the object that is most in front of all the other objects in the movie. As I'm not able to clone the layer with the chooser element in it (cos' is won't animate) I had to leave him the way he is.

This may not be such a big deal now that the dots are smaller as you barely notice that the dots are above him. Still, it would be nice to find a way around this. One thing I haven't tried is to use an animation in place of the chooser. I'm confident that this concept would work.

re: the sounds you posted. They're HUGE. They're original and I would love to use them but I think they may be a bit too big. But, since this is a community project I'd like to hear the thoughts of others. Should we use them? Can we make them smaller without losing too much?

Programming: I've now allowed our hero to pass through the tunnel and re-appear on the other side. I've also made some changes to the code to allow our hero to be varied in speed so we can make him initially slow and then speed him up in higher levels. I'll be working on the AI for the ghosts (at this stage they're ghosts until something is submitted - unless everyone is cool with leaving them as ghosts?). The AI shouldn't be too difficult and I'll document this very well in the code so everyone can see how it hangs together. I'll add the powerup, level, lives, basic highscore and death sequence this weekend. I've planned to get around 6 hours sleep during the weekend When I have further developments on the code I'll post up the new version.

Interest: It's quite obvious that this is/has generated quite a bit of interest in the forum. I can tell since there are around 60 posts and over 600 views for those 60 posts. These numbers are good feedback indicator for the project. It won't be too much longer before the game is ready to be played and I'm sure that there'll be plenty of takers for beta testing it

Cheers for now,
    Ed

Re: Even better

Originally posted by kusco
    Jason,

re: the sounds you posted. They're HUGE. They're original and I would love to use them but I think they may be a bit too big. But, since this is a community project I'd like to hear the thoughts of others. Should we use them? Can we make them smaller without losing too much?

Try adding them and exporting to see exactly how large they will be, you may be pleasantly surprised, 3dfa does a fantastic job of squeezing down a wav file(there is some quality loss, but not near what you would expect). If after export it's still pretty large(over 150K??), let me know and I'll drop them all down to 8 bit mono, this should cut their size down under half of the original.

-Jason

Sounds

Hi Jason,

I'll try that. Just wondering if you could let me know which of the sounds you wanted to use for which events? There's a 1.wav and a 2.wav that I'm not sure of.

Cheers,
    Ed

Ignore them, their leftovers from the mixing process. If you can find something to use them for however, go for it. The power up sound is geared to start as he hits the power pill, and runs for 15 seconds, all the sounds at 120 bpms, so they should time out well if you're still running 8 frames per a second.

If you had something else in mind let me know(be specific), I literally have over 10,000 samples, and several keyboards(analog and digital), and can create just about anything you can imagine.

-Jason

Do you have a sound for my jaw hitting the floor?

I guess you're a muscian too?

At the risk of offending you ... the powerup sequence I have sounds kinda odd. Almost as if it's being played backwards. Is this how it's meant to be or have I got a bad download? Also, I think 15 seconds is a long time to wait. ie. the original game played a tune before you could play which was only around 5 or so seconds. Unless we play the sound at the start of gameplay?

One thing we haven't got is a little ditty for when a level is completed. Do you have a catchy tune ready to roll or can you put one together? I think around 5-7 seconds should be ample.

For the fruit, did you want to animate them further? I can continue the rest of the development of the code with/out any changes to these.

Cheers,
    Ed

19 different sounds in this one(pick and choose, you be the judge), all 8bit mono. I tried to stick to mainly old analog(video game type) sounds, most are small clips none over 8 seconds, and all 120 bpms, also all are loopable(is that a word?). There's part of a c scale in there that was done on an organ(well ensoniqs version of an organ at least), the rest where done on an old sequential multi-trak.

enjoy............

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/new_iman.zip

-Jason

Ok, I am working on an intro/loading movie but I need the graphics you are going to use for the insaneman. If you have enlarged versions, you can send small and enlarged to ajcompanypage@yahoo.com.

Bret, you can send the credits sound loop if you want to that address (I think yahoo can recieve that).

I'm all for wierd credits, but we also need real people in real positions (graphic artist) or we could make the real but wierd (make-up artist).

Post any ideas please.

2 things now that I look.

1.Insaneman has a line through him when going left.

2.Tunnels(in the newest version i looked at) didn't work, and insaneman can go through the brown stripe.

Originally posted by ajcompany
    Ok, I am working on an intro/loading movie but I need the graphics you are going to use for the insaneman. If you have enlarged versions, you can send small and enlarged to ajcompanypage@yahoo.com.

Bret, you can send the credits sound loop if you want to that address (I think yahoo can recieve that).

I'm all for wierd credits, but we also need real people in real positions (graphic artist) or we could make the real but wierd (make-up artist).

Post any ideas please.

Try using thi one instead:

http://www.deadyeti.com/insaneman/credits.zip

It's alot smaller than the original I did, and has a good movie credits type feel to it.

I personlly think it would be great to mix up the credits somewhat, haveing the the real and the fake together, to keep it all entertaining.

Some ideas for fake credits could be:

---------------------------------------
    Bob Roberts-------Head Chief in charge of The Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

I.M. Weightan--------- Chairman of the Bored

----------------------------------------

For now we're using Ed's insaneman, size is what you see. If it changes later on, theres always the good old cut and paste routine(keep it in the original chooser and it should be simple).

I'll try and think of some more credits later, I'm running a little behind today(isn't that everday??? ), so I may not be back on till late this evening.

-Jason

Originally posted by kusco
    [B
    For the fruit, did you want to animate them further? I can continue the rest of the development of the code with/out any changes to these.

Cheers,
    Ed
    [/B]
    I won't be doing anything to the fruit anytime soon. If you want to be on the safe side you can alway put them in a chooser, that way if they need animated later it will be a simpler act of adding anoher view, and a small amount of actionscripting.

-Jason

Cripes!!! There's so many to choose from! I'm thinking no.15. There's also a few there that could be used as some sound effects too. I'll experiment a little, after I've got the AI out of the way.

Problem with the tunnel:
    fixed

Problem with the BadGuy gate to the room:
    Not fixed - will do shortly

Problem with line in graphic/animation:
    Not fixed - very wierd as the same animation is being used for every direction and is only rotated. Will look into making the graphics simpler in design to try and fix.

Credit Suggestions:
    We just gotta have all the credits suggestions made here. They're really cool!

BadGuy AI:
    Coming along very nicely. Most of the programming is done already - just bug hunting now.

ajcompany - if you want to use the InsaneMan graphic and want it bigger then the scale can be changed. I'll make sure that the scale is 1:1 before the game begins. Or you could make a clone of it and use that. just some ideas.

I'm listening to a compilation of Lemmings midi music - LOVE IT!!! also very sad

Cheers,
    Ed

Hi all,

First, the game is now at a stage where it's playable minus a few nice features.

Problem with the Badguy gate to room:
    fixed - now a one-way door

Problem with IM's graphic animation:
    Not fixed - ran out of time

BadGuy AI:
    Completed.

Lemmings Midi Music:
    Over it!

Known Issues to be resolved:[list=1][*] ghost get's stuck in right side of tunnel. caused by the folling point.[*] when being caught by a ghost one of them may appear twice and continue moving in their current direction.[*] routine to check capture by ghost not operating properly. will indicate a capture when in close proximity but not where I want it![/list=1]
    The following points are items where work is still required to be completed/started.

At this point I'd like to say this...
    The points listed in the following are work items that still need attention. The game is/has been broken down into sub modules which allows the game to be developed by multiple programmers/developers/hackers

If you feel like having a go at one of them then please do so. Also, should you take the plunge could you let me know what you are going to do so that I don't do the same thing. Most of the game structure is already in place. I'll provide any takers with the basic guidelines on how to complete their section so that it fits as seemlessly as possible to the existing structure.

Don't be afraid to give it go! It would be nice to see another name in the credits for the programming too.

How about it Bret? Feel up to the challenge? No pressure

Work still needing to be done:[list=1][*] Powerpills and power ups.[*] Game over[*] Lose a life animation and sound[*] ghost/badguy animations when powerpill taken[*] eating badguy during powerup[*] score animations when a ghost/badguy is eaten[*] startup screen - insert coin message etc.[*] display of fruit depending on level[*] freeman sound[*] redo animation on our hero to correct graphics distortions[/list=1]

Please have a play with the game and report anything that looks unusual except the known problems which I've listed above.

Also, please have a play with the movie itself. Change some values around and see what it does. Go'on, get in there!!!!

The game (please note that the game has evolved to over 200k so it may take a moment for it to load)
    http://www.flash-fx.com/3dfa/insaneman/insaneman.html

The movie
    http://www.flash-fx.com/3dfa/insaneman/insaneman.movie

Jason: I haven't yet changed the sounds to those supplied by you. I will do it - promise! I'll check the size of the movie when more of the work is completed and then add them in if it doesn't make the movie too large.

Bret: really, no pressure

Some notes:
    During the time of development I came across a number of little hiccups in the javascripting which consumed too much of my time trying to work out what was going on. I'll be detailing the issues that I've found and sending these off to Insane Support for analysis. Two things found are 1. switch statement didn't work correctly inside a while loop and 2. as the code in a javascript element got larger, the smaller the functions had to be otherwise they simply wouldn't work.

Anyway, I'm signing off for the night.

Cheers,
    Ed

PS. Feedback welcome on the project so far. My feedback is that I am feeling like I've taken over the whole project. This was never my intention - please accept my appologies.

ME

Kusco I think we all knew that when it came to scripting you'd be doing most of the work...

Anyway I look over the list of todos and look at the code.

I might do a couple of animations like game over.

Hi Bret,

Thanks for your comments. I didn't realise at the start that my involvement would be considerable.

re: Game over - I've been thinking about this a little. Just wondering if we should combine the Intro and Game Over together as most arcade games show the Game Over and Insert Coin on the same screen? It might make things simpler, what do you think?

Cheers,
    Ed

Ed,

What you have so far is fantastic, I am begining to feel a little miniscule in this project after looking over the scripting you've done(kudo's for the notes, I'd quickly become lost without them). While I'm on the subject of javascripting, do you know of any good tutorials? I seem to have the hardest time getting anything I've done to work, and I'm really not comfortable with cutting and pasting other peoples work into my own(though there are apparently number of sites devoted to this).

To make a long story short, I haven't bailed out on any of the animation, just been banging my head against a wall trying to get a message board up and running for the last 2 days, with little sleep(funny thing I had it running this morning, now this afternoon, it's right back where it started, probably overlooking something obvious).

When I posted the idea for a community project(yours originally I think), I assumed there would be alot more community in it myself. This a perfect place for ideas to come together, and give birth to something greater than any of us could do alone. I won't put anyone on the spot, but I know of a few people who frequent this board, who could add a thing here and there(I want to see the credits FULL when this thing is completed).

A couple of general things I noticed:

1. The play is slowing down somewhat on my end, but this could easily be due to the fact that when I was running it I had an ftp client, 3 browsers, 3dfa, and notepad all open(hmmmmm..... yeah it might be due to that).

2. What we have right now is a pac man clone, is it going to be kept this way, or will it evolve into something else(I personally liked what Joseph was doing in place of ghosts, and any of the images can be changed from directly in the file by clearing the current brush and starting all over, if you don't like what you have don't save, and vice-versa).

3.I was also wondering what has caused the increase in file size(the scripting???),I don't think the images alone should be coming anywhere near that(I could be wrong though).

Tommorrow(after I get some good sleep), I'll work on fixing the faulty line in Insaneman himself(maybe even trying again to find a workable way to turn him into Stanley), I already have your version of Joesephs bad guy fixxed, I just haven't gotten around to uploading it anywhere yet, I may just paste it into the movie file and see how well it works in action(it'll be interesting matching it up with the way you did the eyes on the ghost's, nice touch), and upload that.

Music................

I'm not personally happy with some of what I've got, and will likely, sit down and write something specifically for each part of the game(unless someone else wants the job????????), this may take some time though, so don't expect anything immediately(hopefully within the week though).

-Jason

Hi Jason and groupies,

I do appologise for the rather long posts of late but better to be well informed than not at all is my motto.

What you have so far is fantastic
    Thanks. It's been an interesting project so far.
    kudo's for the notes, I'd quickly become lost without them
    These are here just as much for me as they are for everyone else. It helps greatly to read the english translation to figure out what the code is doing.
    While I'm on the subject of javascripting, do you know of any good tutorials? I seem to have the hardest time getting anything I've done to work, and I'm really not comfortable with cutting and pasting other peoples work into my own(though there are apparently number of sites devoted to this).
    I don't know of any good tutorials but I do have some advice. Start off small. Use someone-else's code and rip it apart to find out what makes it tick. Don't be afraid to try something - the worst thing that can happen is you may have to close 3DFA down and try again.
    trying to get a message board up and running for the last 2 days
    Can I help? I promise I won't send you the bill
    This a perfect place for ideas to come together, and give birth to something greater than any of us could do alone.
    I agree. Novices and experienced users of 3DFA can learn a lot from each other. I guess if the community projects concept continues then we may see more involvement from others.
    1. The play is slowing down somewhat on my end
    I've noticed this too on some machines here at work. I'm not 100% sure of the reason but I think it's because I've got several action script elements running at the same time. I'll be looking at ways to minimise this overhead.
    2. What we have right now is a pac man clone, is it going to be kept this way, or will it evolve into something else(I personally liked what Joseph was doing in place of ghosts, and any of the images can be changed from directly in the file by clearing the current brush and starting all over, if you don't like what you have don't save, and vice-versa).
    No, it can become whatever we like. I've only used the original characters so that I had something to use for the javascripting and they were easy enough for me to do. I'm still waiting so see some animations for the badguys. Also, changing the animations over is very easy, simply delete the layer containing the animation and replace it with a layer (of the same name) that you want to use instead. I've set the coding up so that there is a separate layer for each direction of movement but this is easily overcome by using the same animation for all four directions.
    3.I was also wondering what has caused the increase in file size(the scripting???),I don't think the images alone should be coming anywhere near that(I could be wrong though).
    I too am surprised at the increase in file size. This only occurred after I had generated the animations for all of the bad guys. I originally had 4 frames for each animation but needed to increase this to 16 to slow them down. I didn't realise that the frame rate of the movie would be used for the animations too.

While I'm on this topic I'd like to say that I've learned a great deal about animations, choosers and editing them. I also recall saying that we should have 8 animation frames per character - this is now defunct as I've since learned that animations will animate themselves without program intervention making them extremely easy to use.
    I'll work on fixing the faulty line in Insaneman himself(maybe even trying again to find a workable way to turn him into Stanley)
    Fantastic! I'd like to see Stanley in there too!
    I already have your version of Joesephs bad guy fixxed
    Gimme gimme gimme...

My next task is to try and find ways to make the game play faster. I've got a couple of ideas in mind on how to do this and hopefully the ideas will work.

I think that there's enough work done on the game now so that others can begin to see what's going on and perhaps be inspired to take what has been done and apply it their creations.

Cheers,
    Ed

2 things:
    1. Just a reminder, you can still give me credits, even real ones. I don't know the artists, programmers, etc...

2. This thread is getting long. We may want to start a new one after 5-6 pages. Also, does anyone know a way to get it all on one page?