A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: IE VS. NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR...

Hybrid View

Greetings,

...Why they r different?

a big dilema!

Netscape sticks to standards and annoys javascript programmers
    IE makes it's own standards, is ok for javascript and has a special feture that allows it to stop working for no reason numerous times
    Kmeleon is a small, fast, lightweight browser that conforms to all the standards and works just great for javascript. It is small and complient. It will soon have a new release out using the looming release of the next Mozilla engine. You can download K-Meleon at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ (Plus it has great user support)

how do u make your website look good on both browsers?

If it sticks to standards, it will look just fine in all browsers. Make it work for K-Meleon, and it will work for IE and NS. No extra limits really.

thanx mate!

they call me the_jump... le_saut's Avatar
    IU find no problem making sites that look similar in IE, Ns6.1+. It's NS4 that creates a few CSS based issues.

Opera isn't that difficult eithe provide standards are stuck to.

Unfortunately NS Mozilla 5 and NS Mozilla 4.x are about equal still, Would be interesting to see where 7 lifts off from.. Me thinks AOL are using it.

Cheers
    James

is there a CSS script to make a standard webpage so it can work on both IE and Netscape?

Stick In The Mud
    I've found NS4 makes an absolute mess of small fonts (8/9 point) defined in stylesheets (amongst other things ), so if you need to use small fonts then do a bit of browser sniffing and then dynamically load your stylesheet..

other browser issues that have annoyed me include:

NS4 rendering form elements over layers..

NS4&6 not allowing you to have an empty image tag (without a set size) and then dynamically set the source in javascript..

No array.splice() javascript function in IE

NS4 in general...

cheers,
    Andy

Ambassador of Style
    Nowadays, NN 6+ and IE 6 really aren't very different. What really killed Netscape was how long they kept 4.7 in the marketplace - and is the reason today why about 80% of web users surf on IE.

The only thing the average web designer needs to watch out for these days in terms of being cross-browser compliant is really CSS... heck, even NN6+ uses IFRAMES!

they call me the_jump... le_saut's Avatar
    Yes N4.x is ****e but in addition to this, and probably more important is the fact that IE after v4 or so started to be shipped with Win and was inbuilt into the Obstructing System.
    The big blue e on the desktop when Joe Public turns on their Wintel system has in no doubt helped IE to become 80-90%.
    Download 21meg vs click on an icon, I know what they'd do. I wait for a PC mag CD to come out with NN on it (rather than dl 21meg thru 33.6kbps.

best regards

James

QUOTEOriginally posted by AGENT 02