Class. Flash was a topic, so I choose it. As part of my project, it is
    require that I make contacts with an expert. SO I scoop through sites and I
    found your site very very intresting. Are you willing to spend a few
    minutes and answer a few questions for me??? Thanks
    >
    > 1. On average, how much money is made by people that major in
    animation, and careers like yours??
    >
    > 2. How long have you been working on animation?
    >
    > 3. How many years of school is required for this career? What
    degrees?
    >
    > 4. What classes did you take?
    >
    > 5. On average, how much time do you spend on flash a day?
    >
    > Thanks again.

1. It depends on what kind of project it is.. could range from anywere near $10 to $6000 for major projects... maybe even more!

2. I am a semi beginner for animation.. I've been doin it for about 4 months now..

3. You really don't need schooling for this.. A lot of people learn by them selves.

4. I havn't took any classes.

5. I spend anywere from 3 to 6 hours a day on flash..

Btw. welcome to flashkit George!
    Goodluck with your project!

btw... u may get more replies if u post this in the coffelounge.. thats were everyone is nowadays.

Ryan Kallok: Kallok Studios kallok's Avatar
    > 1. lots...depending how good you are
    > 2. almost 2 1/2 years
    >
    > 3. none really,unless you want to join a big company...jst stat your own.>
    > 4. none,ever.learned myself and flashkit helped.
    >
    > 5. depends.im a high school kid so anywhere from 10 minuets through 2 hours each weekday and from 10 pm - 4 am every friday and saturday.Summer hours are extended.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    gelio, you should download a trial version, take a couple of tutorials, and include some of your first hand experiences in the report. Who knows, you may find your good at it and enjoy it.

good luck,
    Mat

Originally posted by geolio

> Hi Flashkit,
    >
    > My name is George and I'm doing a project in my Computer Science
    Class. Flash was a topic, so I choose it. As part of my project, it is
    require that I make contacts with an expert. SO I scoop through sites and I
    found your site very very intresting. Are you willing to spend a few
    minutes and answer a few questions for me??? Thanks
    >
    > 1. On average, how much money is made by people that major in
    animation, and careers like yours??
    dunno. i am a full-time contract flash developer/designer, and i grossed almost $110K US last year, but it was a good year. i'm on track to make about $80K this year.

i have no idea what people in full-time jobs make these days. also keep in mind that i live the the San Francisco Bay Area, so the cost of living, etc. is a lot higher than in most other parts of the US, so my gross income doesn't go nearly as far as it should.

> 2. How long have you been working on animation?
    three years. before that i worked for seven or so years in traditional ad/design agencies doing both print a web work.

> 3. How many years of school is required for this career? What
    degrees?
    > 4. What classes did you take?
    i have a BA in history with a minor in journalism. i've taken exactly one, one day class in Flash. that was back when Macromedia was hyping the launch of Flash 4. since then it's all been on the job and self-taught learning.

personally, i'm glad i have a more academic education, but everyone has their own path to their career.

> 5. On average, how much time do you spend on flash a day?
    anywhere from two to ten hours a day, depending on how busy i am and how much my brain can take though, usually around four or so.

good luck with your project.

d.

1. On average, how much money is made by people that major in animation, and careers like yours?
    I make about $1000 - $6000 US per site.

2. How long have you been working on animation?
    Flash design - 2 years

3. How many years of school is required for this career? What degrees?
    I'm still a high school student. Degrees don't really do anything, they're a waste of time and money.

4. What classes did you take?
    None

5. On average, how much time do you spend on flash a day?
    1-2 hours.

Originally posted by Gloomycus
    Degrees don't really do anything, they're a waste of time and money.
    I strongly disagree.

I realize this is just your opinion, but many corporate doors open up with a bachelors degree in computer science. I really wish I had one.

Originally posted by serpent star
    Originally posted by Gloomycus
    Degrees don't really do anything, they're a waste of time and money.
    I strongly disagree.

I realize this is just your opinion, but many corporate doors open up with a bachelors degree in computer science. I really wish I had one.
    Woopdy doo, I'm not going to work for a big corporation. Most likely I'll start up a design firm or go freelance.

Gloomy,

Have you experienced the real world or are you still a klingon to your mom and dad.

I have seen your stuff and your talented, but once you get out on your own, you gotta work. Work don't come easy these days and I gotta tell you, as wrong as it may be, a degree can carry alot of weight while developing the credentials to successfully go out on your own and have to put food on the table for a wife and 2 kids. I could not ever discount the value of a college education, and this is coming from someone who is lacking one.

So woopdy doo, watcha gonna do when there isn't enough freelance work coming in to pay the bills, work at McDonalds or get an education so you can have a fallback position at one of those hated big corporations. I know what I'd rather have done.

Peace,
    Out

P.S.
    Kids are Krass

Have to agree, when it comes down to 2 designers of roughly equal telent, and one has a degree and one doesn't, well it will be the one with the degree that wins out.

As Flash design/development becomes more and more a legit career, degrees start to mean more and more. It's like any new industry, in the beginning any Joe can get into it with a few skills. Over time though, you need some kind of qualifications to show that you understand the theory involved. May mean s hit to you now, but after a few years in the business I understand exactly where they're coming from.

Cheers
    Dave

Originally posted by serpent star
    Gloomy,

Have you experienced the real world or are you still a klingon to your mom and dad.

I have seen your stuff and your talented, but once you get out on your own, you gotta work. Work don't come easy these days and I gotta tell you, as wrong as it may be, a degree can carry alot of weight while developing the credentials to successfully go out on your own and have to put food on the table for a wife and 2 kids. I could not ever discount the value of a college education, and this is coming from someone who is lacking one.

So woopdy doo, watcha gonna do when there isn't enough freelance work coming in to pay the bills, work at McDonalds or get an education so you can have a fallback position at one of those hated big corporations. I know what I'd rather have done.

Peace,
    Out

P.S.
    Kids are Krass
    I'm not going to get into another arguement over this. My views are different from your views. Live with it.

Not an arguement glooms, just wanted to make it known that your views:"Degrees don't really do anything, they're a waste of time and money." are not representative of the Flashkit community as a whole. Also, I would not want some kid who is considering an education further than high school to be swayed by the advice of such a well respected and talented Flashkit designer. I guess what I'm trying to say is that your views are irrelevant in my world so I will really not have a problem living with them, or even considering them after this post.

Education is the only thing that can't be taken from you.

Thanks,
    Mat
    [Edited by serpent star on 05-26-2002 at 09:04 PM]

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. YOu guys helped a lot. Well please don't argue over this one discussion. I just want to hear people's opinions.
    I'm really new to flash, I have it for just about 1 week. I been doing a lot of tutorials on it to learn. Well, My work isn't the greatest in the world but I got some posted at
    http://www.geocities.com/trymefag/stickflare.swf
    and
    http://www.geocities.com/trymefag/flip.swf

I'm a great fan of XiaoXiao, which I'm sure you have all heard about, I admire his work so I began my project trying to stickfigures.

Anyway feel free to enjoy beginnes's work and thanks for the replies, they really helped. I might actually consider going into this career, I still got a year to decide be4 I go to college. Thanks

Ambassador of Style
    1. On average, how much money is made by people that major in animation, and careers like yours??
    A lot of this depends on varying factors such as how experienced you are at what you do, what geographical area you reside in, and how involved the job is.

2. How long have you been working on animation?
    In the traditional sense, not at all. I don't count Flash as true animation. Animators are a skilled breed and I'm smart enough to know that just beacuse Flash is an "animation" program, it doesn't make me an animator.

3. How many years of school is required for this career? What degrees?
    You don't need a particular degree to make it in the real-world, but you sure as hell better be pretty darn good if the degree doesn't match up! A degree IS importnt though - many places will not even look at you with out a college degree - hell, some firms won't look at you unless it's a BFA...

4. What classes did you take?
    Most of my classes were marketing and advertising based. I was looking into trying to break into the fashion advertising world actually. I took web design up as a hobby and loved it - and when I was offered a job out of college as a manager for 3 global websites, I was a tad awestruck that I could make money for doing something I loved to do.

5. On average, how much time do you spend on flash a day?
    Tough to say. Different gigs require different tools. For example, I'll be using it 10-14 hours today alone, but other days I might not even touch it.

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by Jamez Brown
    btw... u may get more replies if u post this in the coffelounge.. thats were everyone is nowadays.
    Yeah, but this is the proper forum to post this question in. The Coffee Lounge is meant for chit chat; not professional discussions.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com/

... and not sure how many "professionals" are hanging out i the coffee lounge. Seems to be mostly kids.

(hey, and I could be wrong, yes, but that's just what it seems like, 'kay!?)