A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] some good anime movies

The dark horse animes

I'm kinda surprised that no one mentioned Vampire Hunter D. I considered that a good movie, edited or unedited.

Trigun is a terrific series, but the last price I saw (for the boxed DVD set) was US$150.00, too much for me.

I'm now starting the 'Escaflowne' series and I have found it captivating so far, although for some reason everyone I've asked seems to:
    a) never have heard of it.
    b) can't locate any DVDs of the series.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    well vampire hunter d was mentiones and yes i never heard of escaflowne what is it about?

i've seen a bit of escaflowne (they show it on Fox Kids here in the UK)
    but didnt really like the dubbing or style of the show... dont know if its because its been butchered by the dubbers though...
    i also found the story kinda boring, but maybe because i didnt see enough episodes, and kinda saw from halfway through

Full Metal Panic!

Well, this it's a series and not a movie, but lately I've been watching the new anime series Full Metal Panic, and man is it fun! Lots of laughs, and great suspenseful action, too.

It's about this military kid who gets assigned to protect this schoolgirl, whom terrorists are after. The dude is a pretty straight-laced military type who knows all about weapons and combat (think Hiro Yui from Gundam Wing). He often riles the girl by infringing on her social life, wihle following her around all day as her gung-ho protector. So there's plenty of laughs there.

Naturally, both are slowly falling for each other, but neither wants to admit it.

Oh, and lest I forget -- since this guy is from the military, he has this huge backup in the form of a massive nuclear attack submarine with an onboard contingent of mecha.

There is plenty of suspense and drama too, as the terrorists after the girl are pretty cruel and ruthless killers. The main hero himself also has a grim wartorn past.
    The terrorists are after the girl, because encoded within her is the secret of a mysterious weapon system called the "Lambda Driver", which reminds me of the AT-field in EVA.

Just to add to the humor, they occasionally play the theme music from the A-Team during the funnier moments in the show, but some of the other music from the soundtrack has some nice rich and dramatic musical scores, like you might expect from Gundam Wing. The opening and closing music are really nice vocal songs.

my friend has downloaded the fansubs... i might watch em later this week, i'll comment once i've seen a few...
    also i believe its been liscensed by ADV Films now so you better buy it when its out

Originally posted by justice strike
    well vampire hunter d was mentiones and yes i never heard of escaflowne what is it about?
    Well, I haven't really watched a lot of it, so I can't really tell what the plot is myself . Seriously, as far as I can understand, there is a schoolgirl on Earth who has a connection with another planet. This connection becomes strongest at certains times, and she is drawn into that world. There, she is revered as a goddess. From there, it becomes more confusing as it has been a while since I last had a chance to watch Escaflowne. When work slows down, I'll try to catch up and be more accurate

wow u guyz have got to watch more anime. lmao. after i was on flashkit i become obsessed with anime and thus become part of the fansubbing world. dont think i was hiding from here doing nothing. ive moved on and learned alot lol but seriously lotta people dont know about fansubs and im just trying to get the word out about them ;P. ahh gotta go peace. ill be back to lecture lal of you about anime later

FK's Official A&A Addict
    hehe long time no see my shelled friend

you got a lot of anime to choose from.

Unfortunatelly, there is no anime culture in my country, so that means no anime stores, no manga, and the only anime i can watch is Ranma 1/2 (also dragonball, pokemon and digimon, but those suck)

3x3 eyes and the guyver series are high up in my favorites list

Originally posted by anemone_kurai
    I liked X, prob b/c i saw it raw and I like that kind of anime. But some I recommend watching are:

Hellsing
    Yugioh (i think that's the name)
    Hoshi no koe - this is a really good one.. it was a one shot deal and it was all done by ONE person. there are 2 versions the directors, voices are done by him and his wife. and Seiyuu version, 2 seiyuu's.
    Now and Then, Here and There - weird but good anime. I mean it's just weird but weird is good.

Hikaru no Go - if u like game and sports anime, this is good one. Go is a great game I love playing it which is why i love this anime. It's funny and 'odd'
    The Prince of Tennis - only if u like sports anime. I'm not a big tennis fan but this one had cliff hangers that made me want to watch and it's funny.

Chobits - cute and 'p-verted' anime (just suggests a p-vertedness)
    Scryed - if u like that Chouja Reideen/gundam anime. its more of a REIDEEN.

Hunter X Hunter
    Inital D
    GTO - this is so freaking funny
    Tenshi na konamaiki - a funky funny anime O_o (reminds me of ranma and hana yori dango)
    Tokyo Underground
    Gakkou no kaidan (School of Ghost stories)

yeah i know most of these are R2 or havn't been released on DVD yet.. but try and get ur hands on them if u havn't... they're good.
    I definitely liek the manga of chobits better than the anime.. seems more plotful..

Hikaru no go is one of those animes that sounds awful from the plot.. but damn it if it doesnt rule.

Hellsing is damn cool, in a kinda trigun kinda way.. and trigun rules too btw.

Bebop is damn nifty.

I haven't seen the movie of X, but i have seen the series, damn fine. And yeah the whole clamp thing.... but it rules anyway.

My anime of the moment is rahxephon... i so have to get this! the plot makes it sound liek eva, but in actual fact it is nothing like it...well, male boy lead, in big robot, saving the world....um.... *cough*

Originally posted by xup878
    been meaning to check that one out...

oh and isnt YuGiOh on sky one (in england) or something now... i know its like trying to be a new pokemon over here
    I've been watching YuGiOh also. The WB/4kids version is highly basterdized. They digitally removed the guns, changed the names of most the places and charactors and also changed the names of the monstors. They also removed the interupted attempted rape scene from the first japanse TV series that is flashed back in the date epesiode. The date epesiode is changed to Yama Yugi just hanging out with a dear friend. Nowhere in the TV edited version does it imply that she is in love with Dark Yugi and that Yugi is in love with her.

Anyhow I just finally got to watch the last two volumes of Boogiepop Phantom and have to say it is better- much better than Lain.

If you watch you will have to watch to epesiode 8 or 9 before you have much of an idea of what's going on and watch the subed version or at least turn on the subs with the english version (an option on the dvd) as the dubbed version leaves out dialouge that is important-(Going to leave space as this has Spoliers)

(Spoilers)
    The dubbed version leaves out/ is not clear that Mannaka has absorbed Echoes at her time of death and that the light that destroys Saotome and the Manticore is eminating from Echoes who is placed in Kuroda's dead body. Never explained is how or why the Manticore is transfered into Saotomes body but it is explained that the Boogiepop Phantom and Saotome/Manticore are both one and the same- two halves of the same coin given life by the explosion into light of Echoes which also causes the magnetic cloud. Only mentioned in the Character notes is it found that Saotome Phantom and Boogiepop Phantom are the Manticore itself. Manaka becomes light herself (in the form of thousands of buterflies of light) after she brings back Echoes form at her time of disolving into light herself.

The Manticore is a clone of Echoes that has gone mad and eats people and Echoes returned to destroy the Manticore.

Toka's alter ego Boogiepop, existing before boogiepops existance as a schiziod alter ego to Toka refered to the fox spirit who was formed from the stress of the impending divorce of Toka's parents(from the Novel summaries) , emerged when Kuroda (A mysterious Towa agent who sacrificed his life by stopping Nagi Kirimas life - You have to read the Character notes on the final DVD volume to get that he was the Scarecrow a Towa agent that betrays Towa by giving Nagi Kirima the drug to stop her growth and whose trademark was the long cloak and mantle that Boogiepop has taken as her own- not mentioned in the Anime but what I gleamed from summaries and partial translations of the novels. Also not clear in the series is that the entity Panaru was also instrumental in creating Boogiepop- again this is from the novel summaries and partial translations) dies at Toka's feet. Boogiepop literally picks up Kuroda's mantle unlike Nagi Kirima who figeritivly picks up Kuroda's mantle to be the guardian of justice.

It is a shame that neither the Novels, Manga, or live action Movie are available in English speaking countries but if you scour the net enough you can get partial translations(a chapter here and there) of the Novels and bits and pieces of translations and screenshots of the movie.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    wow this really is a old thread of mine nice that i see it again brings back memories

I bumped it up. I couldn't find much talk of Anime in here so thought why not try to start some up again?

Besides its a good thread

Anime movies/series

I would recommend...

Trigun - got me into anime in the first place, deep storytelling, great characters need I go on?

Vandread - Aside from Trigun the only anime I have actually laughed aloud at uncontrollably. Space wars type stuff except it's men vs women vs another alien race, great characters, hilarious, amazing CG battles, just a fun series.

Vampire Hunter D - No explanation needed.

Escaflowne series/movie - A fantasy type anime with mechs. The chars were great, the overall atmosphere of the series, and some wicked fight scenes.

I've only been into anime for the last year and a half so I'm afraid thats the only list I have so far.

Jer

FK's Official A&A Addict
    i thought it was time to bring up this thread again with a new anime movie :P

animatrix it's a really great dvd which actually sheds some light on the really vague parts of the story. it's a bit like pulpfiction and it's an defenitely a must to see the matrix before you get this one. but it sure makes things interesting.

also don't forget vampire hunter d i just got it and i seen bits and pieces of it and it looks absolutely stunning, can't wait till i have the time to see it. (exams and stuff bleh...)

Now this thread, I haven't seen.
    I gotta read over this freaking thing.
    Might shed some of my own understanding on the
    thread in the process.

VHd is amazing. You'll love it. lol

I saw the animatrix dvd just a two days ago.
    Very nicely done and animated. I'll give it a 8/10.

hehe, cheers,
    Venio
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

All I gotta say is go see Hellsing...

Originally posted by xup878
    All I gotta say is go see Hellsing...
    Saw it. EXTREMELY cool.

It scared the hell out of me though!

(I'm not very good when it comes to
    things that are scary.
    There are exceptions of course... )
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

...I loved Hellsing!!!

but i found it very short and kinda "they wanted to finish it some how early"!

but it's recomended!

i recomend:

Ranma 1/2 + City Hunter (for humor)

Fist of the North Star late series (for action)

One Piece (for humor and action)