A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash 6 Player is slower!

My browser (with the Flash 6 player) plays movies SLOWER than with the Flash 5 player.

They are sluggish...no-one seems to to mention this anywhere!

WHY NOT? This HAS to be the FIRST thing anyone notices about this new release!!!

WHY IS IT???

Can it be fixed?

i don't notice any differences...

what are your browser specs?

Sorry,
    Shoulda said:

Using Internet Explorer 5.00
    Flash 6 Player

It really is happening...not just my imagination. The movie plays noticeably slower under the Flash 6 player.

Surely I can't be the only one who has seen this effect???

It has been mentioned before, can't find the thread though.

It also takes longer to start playing movies due (presumuably) to the extra compression in flash 6 and the flash players algorythm required to decompress at time of play.

Can anything be done to fix it?

My movie was originally created in Flash 5, and plays fine in a browser with Flash 5 player.

When I view it in a browser with Flash 6 player, it's a lot slower.

Obviously, I want to keep it as a Flash 5 movie, so that people with only the Flash 5 player can still see it. But that means that people with Flash 6 player see it slower.

(I don't think that re-creating it in Flash MX will solve the problem anyway. The only way would be to make my animations occur over fewer frames, but then people with Flash 5 player would see it run too fast! And anyway, fewer frames = less smooth motion, so that's no good).

Can anyone track down the thread where this has been discussed before, or shed any more light on it, please?

can you post the swf on the net for us to view and see if its slow for us or if its a problem with your PC?

I can't really do that, because you wouldn't know what speed it was supposed to be, anyway.

I'm certain it's a Flash issue, not a PC one.

What about the quality of the movie?
    that will drastically slow or speed up the movie

Can anyone else shed light on this?

RealitySlip
    Hey. The issue has been talked about, unfortunately everyone seems to consider it something of minor importance.

Anyway check this thread, at about halfway it gets into talking about the problem and there are some tests done that prove it is quite a bit slower. check here http://forums.ultrashock.com/forums/...threadid=12601

Thank you to neurowave for being the first person to post an actual answer to my question, even though 166 people viewed the thread.

Mmmmmm...does that say something about the calibre of people who think that Flash Kit is a really groovy place for serious Flash developers? (which it isn't - I only gave it a shot as I couldn't find anyone talking about this issue anywhere).

The link you gave, neurowave, was very useful, and I have followed it up by talking to the people who have grappled with this problem. Seems this IS a serious issue for Flash 6 Player in Internet Explorer. Flash movies (in Flash 6 Player) play 33% slower (particularly those that use several simultaneous animations over a large screen area).

It seems Macromedia is not taking this issue seriously, which (to my mind) is crazy, since Flash's power to deliver strong content via innovative interactive web sites, is now significantly knackered.

I am told that currently the only way to address the issue is to build your movie to cater for it (i.e. tread on eggshells). What a shame - designers and programmers are increasingly forced to "paddle upstream" against the technology instead of being able to flow with it.

Please feel free to continue this discussion (unless you're more concerned with finding out how to make a simple Flash-animated car dribble across the screen in a poor excuse for a Volkswagon promotion).

RealitySlip
    I really wish we could get more people to realize how serious of an issue this really is. I realize that MX has provided a ton of new features in actionscript, embedded video, etc... yet I still rely on Flash as an animation tool for the web as much as I rely on it as a coding tool. Often the work I do requires that animations and sounds be synched. As it stands I can't do it because if I make it synched for a mac then its out of synch for a pc on internet explorer...and if i synch it on the pc then its out of synch on the mac. Not to mention that if someone running the flash 5 player will see and hear it playback differently to someone running the flash 6 player.

This issue really, really, really needs to be adressed!

Absolutely... I agree.

I don't give a monkeys if we can now import JPEGs on the fly (although that is great!) if we can't rely on playback performance being consistent.

COME ON, FLASH KIT "regulars"... read this thread and start taking this issue on board!!!

(I'm not sure what we can do to get this issue addressed by Marcromedia. They certainly do know about it...maybe it's a question of waiting for a new release of either Flash or Internet Explorer, although that is likely to be a little way off.)

I've uploaded some sound files and it works all right.

Hi, I was just reading this board while uploading some swf files with streaming sounds, so I decided to download the flash Player 6 and try the files (they were made with flash 5). When I tried the files they worked all right.
    If you want tou can try them at http://tf-refrigeracion.com.ar/audio and at http://tf-refrigeracion.com.ar/audio2

Good luck.

Luciano Dujmovic