A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/2 a million dollars for this site......

This site was in the making for approx 1 year and actually cost 1/2 million dolloars all up - we would discuss it at flash courses etc. That's Australian dollars by the way.

Is it really worth that? How does one justify 1/2 million for a website that looks like that - sure it's pretty good, the vector graphics are good - but I've seen stuff like that b 4 that freelances have done and it's way better.

Opinions......worth half a million?

http://www.jacobscreek.com.au

eating 5 batteries
    that animation is really good... not worth 0.5 mil tho

Nothing really good about it. I'd like to meet the guy who conned them out of that much money though.

Originally posted by ]v[orpheus
    I'd like to meet the guy who conned them out of that much money though.
    Hello!

Well, thankfully, it wasn't just one individual working on it (otherwise I would have died with envy) but rather it was quite a large group / team of people.....still...half a million is a lot for a website.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Things are only worth as much as people are willing to pay ... did they get a 'good deal'? I don't know ~ if they feel good about it - they got a good deal, eh?

Its only a good deal if you still want it when you get home.

My opinion: the price is OK...

Not that the site looks like that, but the price is definitely OK, and I would like to extend my congrats to the guy who got the deal signed...

Originally posted by Abelius
    I would like to extend my congrats to the guy who got the deal signed...
    Hello!

I'm gonna stick with it

people. you should all think about like this. congratulate a webdesigner for asking that price, and getting it.

ya'll all a bunch of playa haters. bah!

Exactly...

Originally posted by gerbick
    people. you should all think about like this. congratulate a webdesigner for asking that price, and getting it.

ya'll all a bunch of playa haters. bah!
    Maybe they offered it, and he didn't ask.

it's not that much money in the world of big business, firms aren't paying the inflated prices they were paying 2 years ago for websites but considering how much these guys spend on advertising every year this is probably their best value promotion.

heck some companies spend ten times that on rebranding, British Airways spent £60m on a new logo.

large companies see the value in spending money on user testing, market awareness, etc etc. It's better to get i right the first time.

budgets like this aren't that uncommon, I worked on a b2b site for selling media time that had a c$500k budget, it's up to c$700k and still running right now.

either way, he got it.

man that's alot of cash for little results. The intro looked great (i was exspecting a much better site) but the site well it looks like one of those cheap infomercial type cd's. Anyway the group definitly made out big. LOL a year huh. Most of that had to be the intro cause the site looks like it only took a week ( if it was a group working on it)

Bleh Humbug!
    A half a million Australian is worth what, $650.00 American? Ya, it was worth it if thats the case.
    Late
    [joke]haaaaaaaaaa[/joke]

I think with the intro (which looked kinda hard) perhaps 150k USD. The site itself didn't look that great, at least compared to todays standards.

I think us (webdesigners) should start charging higher prices so that the money is back to what it used to be but, then I think that is illegal or sometin.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by onlinegs.com
    I think us (webdesigners) should start charging higher prices so that the money is back to what it used to be but,
    Well, I'd say that's what they were doin' ... then they get ripped apart with 'was it worth it' ...

Originally posted by LanSite
    Originally posted by onlinegs.com
    I think us (webdesigners) should start charging higher prices so that the money is back to what it used to be but,
    Well, I'd say that's what they were doin' ... then they get ripped apart with 'was it worth it' ...
    No, its all those designers from 3d world countries the bid real low on places like elance and stuff like that.

Not that I have anything against 3d world contries, its just that I don't like 'em hurting my buisness.

Wichser
    well if they can output higher quality of work for a lower wage then heck I'd be dumb to take the more expensive one.

you would do the same if you were on lower wages, so put yourself in their spot maybe.

then again there is enough jobs for you if you are good and know your stuff, especially those that require to be around locally.

if not, you can either lower your bids or you can output a higher quality in order to justify your higher bid. . .you want the web, you want to be online, then you have to deal with the globality. you want to talk to people and chat with people from all over the world, then the closest thing is to compete with them.

I don't get the "i don't like them hurting my business", live with it or stay off the web or stick to those that require to be around locally, you'll have to deal with it every day..

you are buying the cell phone at the dealer that gives it to you cheaper than the other one too, you are in the same spot.