A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/2 a million dollars for this site......

Originally posted by iCEBERG2000
    well if they can output higher quality of work for a lower wage then heck I'd be dumb to take the more expensive one.

you would do the same if you were on lower wages, so put yourself in their spot maybe.

then again there is enough jobs for you if you are good and know your stuff, especially those that require to be around locally.

if not, you can either lower your bids or you can output a higher quality in order to justify your higher bid. . .you want the web, you want to be online, then you have to deal with the globality. you want to talk to people and chat with people from all over the world, then the closest thing is to compete with them.

I don't get the "i don't like them hurting my business", live with it or stay off the web or stick to those that require to be around locally, you'll have to deal with it every day..

you are buying the cell phone at the dealer that gives it to you cheaper than the other one too, you are in the same spot.
    Jeez, it was met more sarcastically and as a joke, not that serious. I don't havn't done any paid webdesing for a while now cause I have been busy.

Angry

The site is fair nothin I could do though. Like others said, I give props to the person who got 500k for it.

Señor member
    How much is AUS $500K exactly? (in £ or US$)

The site was not pretty to be honest but it's been said already that the person/company that asked for the amount they wanted and got it got some good business.

whoever paid that amount is a lunatic..i'll do that site for free.

Señor member
    Originally posted by hotsepins
    whoever paid that amount is a lunatic..i'll do that site for free.
    who's the lunatic ?

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    AUS$500K equals to approx. US$280K

that site is not that great at all. I really feel sorry for that company its one thing to spend a lot of money but to spend it on crap like that holy **** what a bunch of idiots. that is 250k american, I could do that site in 3 weeks by myself it took a team of them more than a year? that is just plain retarded

Smile

Bet that stuff tastes ****e and all

A friend of a friend told me that http://www.tedbaker.co.uk originally cost £500,000 GBP to build. This site is far better than Jacob's Creek in my eyes

GB£ 500,000 is about AU$ 1.25 million or about US$ 700,000 (according to travelex). the ted baker site does look alot better but for the money i think it should.

if i'm ever in business like that - i'll design the webpage myself (probably in half a day) then give myself a couple hundred thousand pounds for saving the company money

Ambassador of Style
    $250,000 USD for the wine site is really not that bad people. Here are some things to consider:

1. If they began talks with the design/development firm between 1998 and 2000, that is a pretty average price. In 1998 I was talking with companies in NYC and Boston to redo a company's site I managed and the quotes ranged from 100K to 500K - and the site was about the same size. Web agencies were in a position to demand a lot of money - and people were willing to pay them. When I worked for an ad agency a couple years ago, they billed clients $275 an hours for my work. The killer with this site though is that it looks like two differnt designers did the site. Like the good designer did the intro and an averag edesigner took over the content pages...

2. We don't know how much of the cost was the fault of the client! For all we know, the job could have been done at half that cost, but the client couldn't make decisions - or even worse - kept changing thngs... ramping up the cost.

Cool

thats some crzy stuff

does anyone know how much cartier.com paid for their site?

When alls said and done it's quite a large site.

you all seem to be thinking in terms of "how much would I do it for" most of you just do freelance work for yourself and can therefor afford to be competitive. Their overhead are somewhat higher than yours.....

The people who did this site have to pay the wages of secretary / receptionist, project managers, sales / marketting people, script writers, graphic designers ,programmers, admin staff and acleaner. They need to pay for offices, computers, photocopiers, stationary, electricity, water, office furniture, employers liability insurance - the list goes on.

Originally posted by swampy
    When alls said and done it's quite a large site.

you all seem to be thinking in terms of "how much would I do it for" most of you just do freelance work for yourself and can therefor afford to be competitive. Their overhead are somewhat higher than yours.....

The people who did this site have to pay the wages of secretary / receptionist, project managers, sales / marketting people, script writers, graphic designers ,programmers, admin staff and acleaner. They need to pay for offices, computers, photocopiers, stationary, electricity, water, office furniture, employers liability insurance - the list goes on.
    True, but say for example a company was commisioned to do a site, and they discovered that in order to do that site they needed to upgrade from Flash 5 to MX, you can't just stick the price of MX on the end of the bill.

Personally i think, fair play they got the cash, but it is a bit on the clunky side...

Originally posted by SJT

True, but say for example a company was commisioned to do a site, and they discovered that in order to do that site they needed to upgrade from Flash 5 to MX, you can't just stick the price of MX on the end of the bill.

Personally i think, fair play they got the cash, but it is a bit on the clunky side...

but they do, indirectly. They have an annual budget. Some of which is set aside for purchasing software. Simple business economics.

so many people here are talking about the way a site looks as if that's the only measure of it's success or value, which, quite frankly, is total BS.

end users care about the way a siteworks/looks in a completely different way to 'web designers'

[QUOTE]Originally posted by swampy
    [B]
    Originally posted by SJT
    but they do, indirectly. They have an annual budget. Some of which is set aside for purchasing software. Simple business economics.
    Ok, maybe i worded that a bit badly...as far as the client is concernded they are paying for your services, not to maintain your secretaty etc.

If you find you need a secretary then good for you, as that probably means you have enough clients to need one. I don't think it means you can charge more just because you do have one.

If you need larger offices to accomodate more staff, then surely thats because you have more work, not so that you can charge more for one peice of work as there are more people working on it?
    A job such as the one we are looking at probably had what 3 people on it?

Lost in Space Slovakian ;-)
    Originally posted by aversion
    so many people here are talking about the way a site looks as if that's the only measure of it's success or value, which, quite frankly, is total BS.

end users care about the way a siteworks/looks in a completely different way to 'web designers'

I do agree with you.

and congratulation to guys who got that deal signed...

dean_phoenix
    Originally posted by SJT

What crack rock are you smoking!?!? If a client hires you out for a job and you require additional equipment beyond the scope of services, you bill 'em for it. They're usually the reason you're upgrading something, because they've laid a nearly-impossible deadline on you. If it's project related, write it off.

Obviously you're not out and about very often in the business world.

Lets say you've just started a business, you buy 3 copies of Flash MX for £1000 odd.
    You then get a client and do a job for them that would normally cost them £1000, but instead you'll charge them £2000?
    (ok maybe the numbers are unrealistic, but its the thought that counts)

On the other hand if i was commisioned to make a pirate game with a wheel, then you're damn right i'd get them to pay for all the hardware and software to interact with the wheel and so on...

In other words, how can you make a client pay for the stuff that you're supposed to already own just to do your normal job??
    [Edited by SJT on 05-30-2002 at 04:50 PM]