A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do any of you test your animations in AOhelL?

I am one of the majority that said...AOL...tough ****. We don't support that useless piece of @#&*. Well I am here to tell you that I have a $10,000.00 client who insists that there are a lot of plumbers out there that use AOL. That is a real bummer, but because that is his audience, I need to comply. What a ***** of a prob. I posted earlier with a few views but not any ideas. We should maybe chaeck out the AOhelL connection with what we do here. Is a big prob for me now when I thought I was about done and now I can't collect till AOhelL works with it. I am specifically having a prob showing pulled in jpegs. Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Lets be honest here...my first suggestion was to tell him to dump AOhelL and go to a real ISP, but he had a good point. Plumbers are cheap (yet expensive) and he is using AOL for free. That poses a problem for me big time. Please don't just view this...please give me your comments.

i didnt c ur other posts...

i didnt c ur other posts, what exactly is occuring for u?

i've been taking the position of $%^& aol myself, and have recently begun to reconsider my position on it (same as dial-up users vs. bandwidth.)

alot of these peeps out there are runnin junk gear on junk lines with junk aps. we blow them off, but we gotta face that they make up alot of the simple-$%&-public...

Re: i didnt c ur other posts...

by the way...thank you d4|4184||4 for a real comment. I was getting worried that the Flash world just dumped this and forgot about it. I actually did until this came up. (ashamed now) There are real users out there that are un-informed about browsers and we are responsible for giving them content to view. Thanks again d4|4184||4 for being the first to jump in.
    [Edited by Freaky Flash Fiend on 05-30-2002 at 11:04 PM]

Re: i didnt c ur other posts...

I forgot to answer your question. Sorry. I created a site that is a template based site, which we have been marketing for a couple years now. I recently converted this one custom site to MX because it was full of jpeg content and I needed to reduce the initial bandwidth. I pull in jpegs as movie files and they work great in all real browsers except AOL. No photos shows up. Is a bit of a ***** for me. I put the code I use at the top of the qustions.

Sorry, it was an earlier post, here is the post

Have any of you encountered AOhelL probs with loaded jpeg images? The images I have loaded seem to load fine in all "real" browsers but one of my clients has AOhelL and he can't see any of the jpegs that are there. I wonder if I have just missed something. I think I need to load AOhelL on my system to see if I have the same prob...oh my god (I better back up my data) To expand on how I call the jpegs here is the code I used:

with (pic2) {
    loadMovie("pic2.jpg");
    _xscale = 100;
    _yscale = 100;
    _alpha -= 0;
    }
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I have this code in another MC called photo1 which has this MC pic2 in it. I did this so I can use the same movie clip on other parts of my timeline without reloading it.

um jpgs

I could be wrong, but I thought that AOL had issues with jpgs in general...
    try using gifs??
    or pngs?

Re: um jpgs

well wouldn't that be great...unfortunately Macromedia gave us jpegs to work with for pulling into presentations. I would love it if they would find a way for us to pull gifs in...sometimes gifs are better than jpegs. But unfortunately that ain't in their pulling power. Unless you know something I don't...if you do please, do tell. No...really...please....tell me. I tried them all. Without success.

Sorry...didn't want to sound snotty. I am a bit miffed at Macromedia for limiting the pulling power of flash to jpegs. I am aware of the AOL prob but I had hoped that they would have found a bit of a cure before they made that the only format that we could pull in. Would it not be reasonable to make the new Flash work with even the lowliest of browsers such as AOhelL? Could I be wrong? I doubt it on this one. Macromedia...you are playing favorites and that is a very Microsoft thing to do...STOP IT!!!!!

Hey...I coined a phrase

I like it..."a very Microsft thing to do" Does that not describe playing favorites to you? I sure as h@## does to me

likely copyright bull****

pulling/using formats in applications, always got formats copyright holders to deal with. perhaps they wanted a cut, and macromedia said $%^& off. if thats the case, good for them.

on problem, off hand, i have no answer, but i can tell you tonight i will be doing a site out in flash which will also import jpg's. when i run in2 the same prob (which i almost garuntee will occur), i'll post back whatever means i find around it.

a thought however. the jpgs you are importing; are they images set on serve by you or the client? (likely client i imagine, you had said it was template site). if the images and their addy's are set by you, perhaps the simpleist of solutions is to publish the jpgs in a single frame swf?
    load the swf rather than the image? there's one of the real beauties of flash; no matter what platform, the flash players gonna do what u tell it to (unlike #$%$&%^& aol. how happy was i the morning i heard of aol/time warners massive losses. SHUT IT DOWN! lol). with mx's movie compression, i doubt even on a mass-traffic site, there would be no bandwidth hop...

anyhow, like i said. i'll be doing same type of work tonight. i'll give a shout.

I've had problems with loading jpegs too but it was occuring on internet explorer and netscape. On some computers the jpegs would load and on others they would not. I've seen other posts about this subject too and I'm beginning to think its a bug in the flash player. I got around this by placing all my images in swf files and then loading those. Not an ideal solution, but it was the only thing that seemed to worked.

Whether we like AOL or not, is not the point. The point is that 34 million people subscribe to AOL. Each subscrber can have up to 7 screen names or different users. Even if each subscriber only has 2 different users, thats 68 million users. This is a force that must be acknowledged.
    For that very reason, I use AOL so I can see exactly what my clients are seeing. In one of your posts, you say:

"I pull in jpegs as movie files and they work great in all real browsers except AOL" - If memory serves me correctly, AOL uses IE 5.0 (or maybe 6.0) as it's browser?

You also say:

"I recently converted this one custom site to MX because it was full of jpeg content" Is it possible that your client just hasn't installed the correct Flash Player?

I'm not defending AOL, but I think too often we blame the obvious when it's not the problem. I recently had a client who could not view a swf I created even though everyone else could. Bottom line is that 2 days later we found out he was on a Mac and had been trying to view it through the eyes of the PC player.

Post the URL for your SWF in question and I'll look at it on AOL. Maybe it is an AOL problem, but then again, maybe it's something else. I'll look at it on a high speed connection as well as a 56K modem.

Good luck.

i agree on accomodating them

simply because of the sheer size of the prospactive clientel base which use aol. im not saying screw aol (though it would make design simpler. lol).

on the browser version thing; yes aol is their own customized version of internet explorer. and though ie is its root, unfortunately, it does not behave nearly the same. if you stick to ordinary/simple script languages (delivered, that is, with respect to our beloved server-sides) its no prob, but i've seen even slightly advanced javascripts go to 'poop' in aol.

no, i havent done the afore mentioned site yet, in a few hours... hehe.