A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can young people be 'good' drivers?

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    I think youger drivers don't have the experince us older drivers have, although that is only half the story. The other half and probably the major case of accidents with younger drivers are caused when trying to show off to mates.

Responsibility comes with age (or should do). I can't really talk, although I know how to handle a car, I've been driving for 7 years, driven a lot of fast cars both on and off the track and have an extreemly quick car at the moment, I still think I've got a lot of room for improvement...

i didn't know squat about driving when i was 16 - but i thought i did. i once drove into a gaurdrail all by myself - that was stupid...and i was 16. experience is someithing you gain as well - especially with interstate driving. after 13 years of driving, i know how to work an interstate, get out of the way, how to pass, and how to avoid the fuzz. young drivers do the stuff that annoys me - driving in the passing lane, not using turn signals, stopping in front of the white line, tailgaiting etc. I guess that's why is some states you can't drive until you're 18....

young drivers do the stuff that annoys me - driving in the passing lane, not using turn signals, stopping in front of the white line, tailgaiting etc. I guess that's why is some states you can't drive until you're 18....
    Older drivers are just as guilty of all of the above. who's learning from who?

i'm a good driver but none the less very agressive, i've never hti anythin or anything, my dad whos a brill driver and very safe has hit more things than me since i've started drivin!

Originally posted by nordberg
    i didn't know squat about driving when i was 16 - but i thought i did. i once drove into a gaurdrail all by myself - that was stupid...and i was 16. experience is someithing you gain as well - especially with interstate driving. after 13 years of driving, i know how to work an interstate, get out of the way, how to pass, and how to avoid the fuzz. young drivers do the stuff that annoys me - driving in the passing lane, not using turn signals, stopping in front of the white line, tailgaiting etc. I guess that's why is some states you can't drive until you're 18....
    OMG signaling is another very frustating thing. When ppl stop in front of you, you don't know what's happening is something in front of the guy or is he sleeping than he just turns. and the left turns. When you turn left not many streets have left turning lanes, and traffic lights for turning so if someone's turning you have to wait till he turns. There are those people who start signaling in the last 10m which doesnt give much time for ppl behind him to get away .. into another lane. errrrrr

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    the roads in any countries all over the world are heavily regulated (except maybe for those wilderness places) if u just follow the rule there shouldn't be a problem... in a race track a "GOOD" driver is judged by how well he controls a car at high velocity but since u don't have to drive quite as fast on normal road, i guess a "good" driver on normal roads is the one who knows the rules well and follow them and has reasonable control of the car within the speed limit.

the only problem is:

for "YOUNG" drivers: USUALLY they think they're the King of the Road and that their skills are at the same level as those of a race driver's and the fact that they are quite competitive plus the raging HORMONES and the need to break rules hehehe... emphasis on the word USUALLY...

for "ELDERLY" drivers: they become timid and sometimes they hesitate and that confuses other drivers forcing them into making wrong judgement. their eyesight and reflexes also suffered from advancing age. im not saying ALL elderly drivers are bad but lets face it... how can u be expected to drive properly if u wobble when u walk?

i guess the best drivers are around mid 20s up to when they start to wobble hehehe

i think the real answer here is that everyone is a bad driver....except for me!!!!!!

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    i think the real answer here is that everyone is a bad driver....except for me!!!!!!

I am a good drive. I'm definatly a good driver.

i bow to your wisdom... but u forgot to also mention ME!!!

Originally posted by phlegm_thrower

the only problem is:

for "YOUNG" drivers: USUALLY they think they're the King of the Road and that their skills are at the same level as those of a race driver's and the fact that they are quite competitive plus the raging HORMONES and the need to break rules hehehe... emphasis on the word USUALLY...

for "ELDERLY" drivers: they become timid and sometimes they hesitate and that confuses other drivers forcing them into making wrong judgement. their eyesight and reflexes also suffered from advancing age. im not saying ALL elderly drivers are bad but lets face it... how can u be expected to drive properly if u wobble when u walk?

i guess the best drivers are around mid 20s up to when they start to wobble hehehe
    you've got YOUNG and ELDERLY but what about EARLY TO MIDDLE AGED (which is basically everything in between) please there are many people out there that think they're king of the road, with raging hormones, need to break rules, etc. They're not all young teens, I've seen early 30's to late 40's do this. I really don't think there's a clear distinction with these descriptions. (i've seen a few elderly zoom around as well. Scary stuff) the best drivers aren't specifically mid 20's on up..the best drivers are ones who know how to drive, follow the rules of the road, etc. And quite honestly, that can be at any age....as long as you have the ability to learn and follow instead of breaking them whenever the heck you feel like it.

LOL! that was the point - i think if everyone said outloud what i just typed, we would see the root to all bad driving...it's simple: we all think everyone else sucks!

true what u said... it CAN be any age... but u forgot to put in the factor of the situation (in a hurry coz had to go to hospital, late to work etc i know it doesn't make it right) and also the way people think at their age and it's influenced by a lot of other factors such as hormones , their life style (in a gang, in a illegal street racing community etc)

what i said was just an overview coz i think mid twenties to 50s something has a lot to lose eg. family, newborn child etc and therefore making them more careful and responsible ... true some mid twenties to 40s or whatever do that sort of thing as well but im sure the percentage is miniscule compare to either "YOUNG" or "ELDERLY" age group otherwise why do u think both age groups has a higher premium for insurance?

LOL! that was the point - i think if everyone said outloud what i just typed, we would see the root to all bad driving...it's simple: we all think everyone else sucks!
    HAHAHA dude i was just joking and im 100% sure u were too

why do u think both age groups has a higher premium for insurance?
    I think it's utter bull****. True when you're younger you're put in that expensive insurance bracket. But they should evaluate the person every so often. I mean, dammit, i'm 23, and I've been hit 4 times by 35+ aged people. I'm still stuck paying through the nose on insurance, no car now, and the "Older, wiser driver" is fine and dandy (albiet a slightly higher ins. rate now, but still). Evaluate older people. Have them take exams every 5 or 10 years. Make them relearn the rules. And if they fail, take them off the road so that they can't harm anyone. The real problem is no one wants to take this step.

Of course I'm speaking from my own personal experience and observations as is everyone else and that's perfectly fine. All I know is when I drive, I watch out for everything that's going on around my car and I anticipate that everyone is going to do something stupid (like no blinker, or stop short) and give myself some room.

And for all those people, young or old that are speeding criss-crossing, cutting people off, driving in the opposite lane being cool......you'll get yours eventually..and it'll suck.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

For these people that are saying it wasn't my fault ~ they it me ... do you think that maybe it could've been your driving that caused them to hit you? does that make sense? Rear ended - okay --- rear ended 4 or 6 times - do you have braking issues maybe?

Can They: Maybe
    Are they: No

Remember what Hollywood posted..."I got in my first accident"

He was almost proud of himself. He had been racing. Teenagers are stupid, myself included.

I'm way too agressive, I try to hold back but it just isn't natural. . .

I have a need to be pushing the limits.

Originally posted by LanSite
    For these people that are saying it wasn't my fault ~ they it me ... do you think that maybe it could've been your driving that caused them to hit you? does that make sense? Rear ended - okay --- rear ended 4 or 6 times - do you have braking issues maybe?

hehehe. being rear ended can never be your fault unless you have faulty break lights. just my opinion

cliff need to be agressive? here

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    Originally posted by LanSite

hehehe. being rear ended can never be your fault unless you have faulty break lights. just my opinion

cliff need to be agressive? here
    I thought about that after I posted it - and in so many ways that is correct - but if you have 'braking issues' - combined with the guy behind you following a little closer than he should - but not exactly tailing you ... ? <shrugs>

If you brake to fast, you'll catch people off guard. Good drivers should tap their brake to get the attention of the driver behind before coming to a stop...that's what I was told anyway.

Originally posted by clifgriffin
    If you brake to fast, you'll catch people off guard. Good drivers should tap their brake to get the attention of the driver behind before coming to a stop...that's what I was told anyway.
    nope. there is no excuse. If the person behind you is paying attention and not following to close there will not be a collision.