A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash V/S SVG & SMIL, Match of the Century!!

Hey'a,

Okay, I know we are almost all biased in favor of this site's namesake, but really, in the long run, which of these technologies do you think will win the war.

So, kind visitors of FlashKit, which technology do you choose, the OpenSource SVG & SMIL or the closed, but popular, tech of Flash?

-RCM

how is flash closed ?

isnt the SWF format open?

thats why theres many many flash-producing/exporting products out there, server side flash production programs, many things.

i dont know too much about the others, havent used them, so i may be biased, but as far as flash goes, its not totally closed, the main products you would want to use are, but thats just the products, not the technology itself (SWF)

It's closed in the sense that the technology is proprietary and owned by a single company. That's all I meant by that.

I should add, for those that don't know, SVG is a totally open source vector image format endorsed by the W3C that has almost all of the capabilities of Flash when combined with a scripting language and backends similar to Flash. It is, however, far less in use and far less supported.

Originally posted by rworld
    It's closed in the sense that the technology is proprietary and owned by a single company. That's all I meant by that.

I should add, for those that don't know, SVG is a totally open source vector image format endorsed by the W3C that has almost all of the capabilities of Flash when combined with a scripting language and backends similar to Flash. It is, however, far less in use and far less supported.
    ah, ok, well, i like flash because of how many people can actually view it right now, and how much it is supported (though mx numbers are still gonna be low for some time), and the fact there is a great program by a company that will be around for a while, that i have access to

i'll look into SVG if it becomes more widely accepted, but if it isnt supported too well yet, then i'll wait

I personally think that SVG still has a long way to go before it's accepted. The plugin is too big at the moment, it hardly is output by any tools, and it needs to show "it's stuff". However, with it getting embedded into (most likely) cell phones, and it's been shown to be more efficient than flash.

There are some other things it has been talked about being implemented, where it's more ideal.

However, I'm keeping an eye out for it.

besides, it's XML. I can deal with that...