A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .Bin Extension Nightmare...I feel great pain

I`m using OS 9.1 and Flash MX...When I save or publish a movie with Flash MX, It saves it with the .BIN extension...

For instance when I save and publish a movie called Mymovie
    it saves it as Mymovie.Fla.Bin, how do I remove the .Bin extension during the saving process with flash???

I have tried to rename the file by moving the .Bin extension after the file was saved but it dont work....

Can any one one please help on this...

Tony

i'm not sure why the files are being published with bin extensions, but you could try dragging them onto stuffit expander to decode them.
    The only thing i can think of is that you have dropstuff set to watch a folder and automatically encode files created in that folder.
    There is no option i know of to make Flash auto encode or publish as bin
    Bin is a form of file encoding to protect mac files on the internet.

(Haven' t we been through this before??)

I'm running MX in OSX.1.5. Whilst authoring a Mac/PC hybrid CD the other day we noticed that the Mac projector showed up in the PC partition with the .BIN extension. We deleted the Mac projector as it was not req'd in the PC portion of the CD.

I know that OSX hides all the file extensions but I'm thinking perhaps .BIN is the extension assigned to Flash projector files in OSX (although I would have thought it was .APP). Why MX in OS9 tags an extension onto the filename, I have no idea!

I know this ain't much help but thought it worth mentioning as it stumped us the other day too.

Cheers
    pixelboy

Hmm, i doubt very much if macromdia were going to choose an extension for their app it would be bin...great way to break a projector for unsuspecting users.

Are you sure your cd writng software isn't encoding it automatically??