A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: you think this is worth $1600? i dont

heres a site a recently did for a client...i could only get $1600 out of them... im feeling ripped off...id be interested in some feedback

http://www.loudplanet.com.au/blatman/index.htm

thanks

-------------------------------------------------
    type flashkit to login into the site, logged in you get more features.

me2222 you win...I gave in and used a pixel font..aaaargH!

[Edited by inspector on 06-07-2002 at 05:26 AM]

Mostly harmless
    Pleasing to the eye, quite a nice interface, pretty easy to navigate and some nice PHP work - definitely worth more than $1600 imo. Only criticism I could think of during a quick look was that I found the text difficult to read.

If they don't pay you more for that, visit them in the small hours and stick a bat up their night dress.... or at least think of the site as an expensive piece of advertising for your skills.

Cheers

hi,
    first of all, nice site,but...
    - i get scrollbars bottom and left.
    - font is verrry blurry, too small and hard to read. a pixelfont were better in this case

i think $1600 is ok! that is not so much work... some animation, a picture-scroller, a textscroller, a contactform and the design of course. (viewed as guest).

ciao
    markus

the scroll bars, are you using netscape, id love to get some screen shots from users on netscape and ie macs if possible and 800x600 res...with browser maximised...anyone up for it? thanks

viewed with ie5.14 mac.
    look at your frameset: SRC="Anna%20Blatman.htm" SCROLLING="AUTO"

maybe another issue: the picture thumbnails are buttons, i here a clicksound, but they don't do anything.

in about anna there's the scolling text on the right the three buttons left and the rest of the screen is white, that looks somehow "empty"

what when i view as registered user? are there just more pictures, or is there mor functionality?

taking a closer look to it, i think you can be happy with $1600

ciao
    markus

hello

salut je n ecris pas beaucoup anglais I m sorry I don't like the subject of your site but I like the interface

United States Presidential Hopeful in 2028
    I think the site is very nice and well done. It should be more than $1600. My only question is why did you do the site before agreeing on a price?

I would never create a site only to see what the client thought it was worth. I find out what they are looking for and then quote them a price. If they have a limit on what they can spend, then they only get a site that is worth that price.

because i got shafted...he started out wanting a 1000 bucks, which i built with one section then he asked to add more, and said can i build and see what it will cost total, so i did, i asked what he wants to spend and he just wanted it finished...so i finished it, billed 2600, but he only wants to pay 1600, so now im two minds to actually hand it over for what we wants to pay...multimedia...its some biz isnt it...how do you justify the cost of a flash site these days, to a client its no different to a 500 buck html pin up

thanks for the comments

site is really nice lovely bold colours and nice crisp images

£1600 well spent by anna i think

i think the site looks alright..the navigation, etc. the images are very clean. i think maybe the client didnt realize (or care) what you put into the site as long as it looked good and worked.

you should have gave him a quote and a bill before you put another second into the site after you finished it the first time. i think $2600 was a fair price--but then, if i was a client with no knowledge of the programming/design work i probably would have paid $1600 or $1200....

good luck...

hourly rate?

hiya...
    was that $US or $AUS
    cos if it was aussie dollars... well that's worse!

this is always the prob with freelancing...
    getting the punter to pay

re-read your contract very carefully
    invoice the client with a nice itemised bill ( by the hour if possible )
    and if they wont pay either, don't deliver, sue, take your lumps or complain bitterly to your gf/bf

but as to what your site is worth, that is SO intangible that it is impossible to say.
    I always go by the hour (even if I have to pitch a set price it is BASED on that)
    well I used too, now I'm working for a design house (which is a weird transition!)

ps... I like your design...
    nice and clean

hope you get your cash!

Banned
    take your 1600 and quit crying..

lesson learned..move on already..

Hey inspector,
    Some good lookin work you got there. Most of the people that I work with that want additions or changes to somethin that Ive worked on , whether it be art or flash , I bill them an hourly rate and then when they ask how much additions would be i tell them it will take a certain amount of time then they try to keep the additions and changes at reasonable times so as not to go over what they have budgeted. Also i feel that you shouldnt have to justify flash to html. If someone wants html and to spend 500 on it let them. Just feel confident in your abilities and makes sure you feel comfortable with what you ask cause if you feel its reasonable and the person doesnt, then they should go way of html. And never have a client tell you to do the work and then he gives you what he can pay. I usually dont put their work on their server until theres an agreement on money.

I dont charge outrageous, but if i wanted mcdonalds money I'd work at mcdonalds.
    Good luck to you,
    Mel

Originally posted by flash_critic
    take your 1600 and quit crying..

lesson learned..move on already..
    thanks for the comment

Firstly, I like the site, clean and works really well, I do however get scrolling bars on the flash movie - which spoils it somewhat.

Are you a professional web designer? If so, then you deserve more than that, its your job and everyone needs to eat - people are so willing to stiff you these days.

If you aren't a pro web designer, then the publicity is worth more than the cash. I done this site http://www.diplomat.org.uk and charged £150 because the client is young and word of mouth is free.

Either way, you have a decent site for your portfolio and if you get another job off the back of this one then its been worth it.

Banned
    yeh but when you guys design for 150.00 you make it hard for the rest of us to make money..if you'll do it for 150.00, why would they pay me 1000.00..

your downgrading the field, lowering the level of payment considered to be average or reasonable..

ultimatly screwing your self..

have fun..

The cost doesn't constrain the site.

if I could have got more cash I would - but I rolled with it at the time, as I get better I charge more.

The client couldn't afford much and I needed the publicity, does that mean that if they cant afford a grand I should turn them away and screw myself.

You take the opportunities given to you at the time - dis regarding price-trends and upsetting other designers.

Thats Life

kill flanders

that's a nice site aaron.bennett

how long did it take you?

Originally posted by flash_critic
    yeh but when you guys design for 150.00 you make it hard for the rest of us to make money..if you'll do it for 150.00, why would they pay me 1000.00..

your downgrading the field, lowering the level of payment considered to be average or reasonable..

ultimatly screwing your self..

have fun..
    totally agree!
    they sell an ashtray (nice products btw) for 27 and you get 150 for a flash website!!!
    i don't think they would sell it for 2.7 for whatever reason.

Improvethe font and charge them another $ 1,600.00