A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: you think this is worth $1600? i dont

Re: Paritybit

Originally posted by inspector

http://www.paritybit.co.uk

I went to your site and your form buzzed me out, with the radio buttons, I just made one with listboxes for flash 5 players.

http://www.loudplanet.com.au/SendMailPHP.swf

isnt it funny how things you take for granted in HTML can take hours to reproduce in Flash... the list boxers were a plick of a job.

[/B]
    Hi Inspector,

I didn't really get what you meant by 'buzzed you out'. Did you have problems with it? If so I'd like to know what they were.

You flash form is cool. I know it's tricky as I've had to make some before when it was a flash or nuthin scenario. Another thing you have to think about with Flash forms is feedback - you have to do a timeout loop trying to pick up a success response from the server. Good old loadvariables huh?

Have you checked out my FIFA 2002 Worldcup Screensaver? Fully integrated with an ASP backend and a database.

Get it at http://www.paritybit.co.uk/worldcup/...ldCupChart.exe and let me know what you think.

Nice

that is some very nice work, I havent done anything like that before, but I have just tendered for a similar project across an intranet, an updatable screen saver... youve impressed me...its amazing what people in here have in their bag of trix ..

nice work parity, very nice

what did you use to package your install?

sorry inspector gadget but i think u should be glad for what they paid u. The reason i say that is because if their clients i would not know what to pay unless i was a web builder other than that if they knew it was going to turn out this nice they should have paid more beforehand
    [Edited by RedAbode on 06-10-2002 at 11:44 AM]

Is that how much Flash sites are going for? I was thinking a professional site would only be a couple hundred...

I recently got hired for my first Job last week, when its done I'll need some help with what I should charge the person.

BTW, I do think 1600 is ALOT of money, I would be happy with 700 for it.

why would u want more than this again?
    its pretty...simple its good but i think you got more than enough

Depends

It really depends these days, Do you work out of your house or do you have an office? how many people work for your company. I think 1600 is fine if you are working out of your house but if you have an office than I would say you could get anywhere from 2500-10000

Hey, found a nice quotation by John Ruskin.
    He lived in the last century, but this quatation still applies to todays internet business:

The Law of Business

By John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey.

It is unwise to pay too much, but it is also unwise to pay too little.

When you pay too much, you lose a little money, that is all.

When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the thing you bought it to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot...

It can't be done.

If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.

And if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

i just turned 13 years old this year so if u want to point and laugh go ahead .. but i think i have better things to do then make fun of someones website i reveiw peoples websites ... this is just my first draft too i'm planing of remodling it in 3d or somthing along the lines of that.. i've been working hard in bryce and trying to get the right pictures to put in my gallery so just laugh all u want buddy

and i read you were after some good 3dmax tuts...heres where im learning from, its like flashkit but for 3dmax, its pretty good, and it will get you going nicely

http://www.maxforums.org/tutorial.asp

Yep, the scrollbars spoil it a bit.

Why not put it in a centred table on a single page instead of using frames?

You should know what are the client budget for a site before you start the site then you sign a contract and do something for the budget they have ..

You certainly get ripped on this one ... But you should have done less if the client had a budget of 1600...

Anyway don't worry let say you had pay a couple thousand for experience and it's the last time you do a site for almost nothing..

good luck in your futur production ... and congrat for that beautifull site...

so u got 1600 US? thats pretty good i think. I love the site though... seems like it was a great project to work on.

thanks but i really didn't appreciate reading your post it almost wanted me to stop web building because i felt as if i sucked.. al back things up after ok

OK

1600 seems reasonable for that site.

Arrow Noooooooooo

I'm sorry but I can't beleive what some of you have written in here. 700 for that site????? A weeks work? Sorry but I wish I knew developers like yourselves living close to me. I'd get projects, keep most of the money for myself and get you to do all the work for a pittance.

Do you have any business sense at all??

Do you know that some graphic designers get thousands to do a portfolio or a brochure for someone??? Why shouldn't a Flash Designer get the same since he is doing the same thing - creating an (online) portfolio/brochure?

I asked an artist friend of mine what they would pay for the site Inspector did. Who wants to guess how much they said?

Paritybit

(Worldcup info at your fingertips - http://www.paritybit.co.uk/worldcup)

Uhhh... 3k?

The sites uses pretty common flash paradigms(the auto-scrolling loopy list pane, etc). The design choices are quite decent though. I guess it depends on how much you put into it. If you can knock off sites similar to this quickly, and do most of it with dynamic elements, then I guess you made out okay. If you spent 3 weeks slaving over the coding and another week tweaking the design, then you got screwed. I'm in NYC and have worked many different types of clients, so I could see it going either way...

<<after reading the rest of the posts>>

...since you have two freelancers working for ya, i guess you did spend three weeks doing the (1 week times 3 people). Bummer. My question is: why did you agree to take on this project if you knew you would loose money on it?
    [Edited by tutash on 06-10-2002 at 04:44 PM]

let them drop dead

that's worth more then $1600 you go tell em to drop dead...

Non-printing spaces

[QUOTE]Originally posted by inspector
    [B]heres a site a recently did for a client...i could only get $1600 out of them... im feeling ripped off...id be interested in some feedback

http://www.loudplanet.com.au/blatman/index.htm

thanks

Hey, inspector.

What did you and the client agree on pricewise? Did you get it in writing? Did the client explain her reaction?

I don't know where you're located, but there should be laws protecting your right to payment.

Btw, as to the site, I like it except for two minor things: (1) the shade of orange for the background (a little harsh)and, more importantly, (2) the non-printing space character appears on some of the screens.

Hope this feedback is useful to you.

Howard

damn, $1600 for a sliding gallery? I've been undercharging my clients

Site looks very nice and clean, by the way. I would have probably charged under $500 though...which isn't bad for a couple days work.