A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] portfolio site (50% complete) -tear me to bits

Smile

this is my new portfolio
    brutal honesty is the order of the day

http://www.stuartlee-online.co.uk

couldnt figure out the navigation...have short attention span...looked alright, would like to see when it is complete. font was blurry...kinda looked like you are into actionscript rather than design.

good luck...

like the concept so far. the navigation is kind of confusing. I like that the scrolling that responds to the mouse, but it took me almost a minute to figure that out, most people won't take the time. i like the spinning s but when nothing else seems to work, it is very distracting, it seems like it wants to have a function. the navigation concept is cool, but needs to be a little more obvious.

I can't figure the nav out sorry- seems like it would be cool though, the mouse trail is cool but maybe just restrict it to one area otherwise it gets annoying

Fire torpedos Captain!
    After 1 minute I figured out the nav...it would be nice to put arrows there...

Site's a little boring...lol. But the pictures are cool.

I think you need to make the nav a bit clearer as well. Maybe put the nav squares right below the actual menu so the chances that the nav is discovered become a bit larger.
    (or put something in the squares that makes clear they need to be used to navigate, the text in the beginning that explains the navigation isn't read by many people)

The mouse trail indeed looks nice, but only for a few seconds. After that it becomes kinda annoying.

The Spinning S does look cool as well, but tends to draw the attention away from the rest of the site.

Just a few thoughts....

Banned
    splash page, sweet..

spining 3d logo, sweeter..

and to top it off, the mouse trail..

i would say "WOW", or maybe just "HMMM"..

so confused..

hi,
    first: make the background picture of the splashpage a 2 color gif, this will reduce its size from 29k to maybe 1 or 2k. learn your tools!!!

put the navigation boxes on top or under the scrolling window, also exchange their order (put the right to left and vice versa), this will be more intuitive.
    You should also make clear that there are buttons, for example by putting arrows inside the boxes.

one rotating "s" is enough and i think that this 3d doesn't fit the 2d look of the layout.

where's the sound button?

get rid of the mouse trailer, nice effect taken from flashkits opensource section, but it is useless effect.

ciao
    markus

I found the navigation slightly difficult to use, but I read the reply posts before visiting the site - me2222 said it right, swap the buttons over and put an arrow in each. Then it'll be sweet

I DO like the mouse trail and think you should keep it, It has a cool effect and suits the site well.

I also like the 3D logo, but i would ditch the small one and have the big one as an e mail/contact button.

Good work all in all

Smile thank you

thank you to everybody for there opinions

much thanks
    stuart

Post hmm

well the first image I see the background should be a gif not a jpg cause you can see the blur of the pixels around the edges.

2nd I don't like the 3D S icon flipping around should get rid of it. On the contact page your missing a ")" and a "," between Dreamweaver and Fireworks.

oh yeah and the nav

keep up the work tho, should be cool once its done.

feels too out off the can.

too many doodads and not a simple navigation. if it were a site I had just stumbled upon rather than saw the post, I would have left quick. pictures were good pics, but was too "stock" feeling.

NAVIGATION/BAD/DESIGN/OK/SOUND/CHEEEEEEEEEZY/SECTION/NOTHING TO THEM