A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hahaha, Linux on X-Box possible!

Smile

http://www.msnbc.com/news/761330.asp?cp1=1

LOL, nice guy. Now you can soon use the X-Boxes as server farms, perfect for a price of 199.- $, buy ten of it, connect all together and you can render your movies with a lot of performance. (Of course as soon as someone writes a Linux or the Box)

Fredi

From the link you provided:
    Some see it as the ultimate slight against Microsoft — using the software giant’s own hardware to run software that competes against its Windows operating system.
    Thinking...

Reading it again...

Having another sip of my coffee...

Laughing my #@$& off! hahahahahaha...

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    LOL!... nuff said

Geeze!! I wonder if thats true??

ha ha - yeah.

Anyways here's a link from Sony -

http://playstation2-linux.com/faq.php

At least Sony's not blind to the future.. I had always wondered why sony didn't have an OS of their own - their slowly building up their development team, waiting it out, and getting ready for their final/ultimate blow to MS. They'll finally be able to sell their vaio's and not have to pay a tax to MS for each one.

this has already been posted.

by me

Originally posted by snowdude
    ha ha - yeah.

At least Sony's not blind to the future.. I had always wondered why sony didn't have an OS of their own - their slowly building up their development team, waiting it out, and getting ready for their final/ultimate blow to MS. They'll finally be able to sell their vaio's and not have to pay a tax to MS for each one.

as good as they might be at making hardware, i dont think they're really prepared to make an OS that will be better than windows, in fact, im willing to bet more than half the people who complain about microsoft are using windows at the time

Originally posted by Ian424
    ha ha - yeah.

as good as they might be at making hardware, i dont think they're really prepared to make an OS that will be better than windows, in fact, im willing to bet more than half the people who complain about microsoft are using windows at the time
    half?? I'd say about 9 out of 10. These people don't know what a pain it is to run things on Linux, and to get support, and drivers. blah blah blah. If most of these idiots took some time and learned how to actually use a computer they wouldn't have any problems with Windows. But seeing how these people are too lazy to do even that.. I don't see them a lot of people switching anytime soon.

I agree about most people complain about Windows because they really don't know what their doing. But also, the Windows operating system has several security flaws and XP is quite an unstable OS while running many pieces of software using openGL and such.

Originally posted by Runes_Tooth
    I agree about most people complain about Windows because they really don't know what their doing. But also, the Windows operating system has several security flaws and XP is quite an unstable OS while running many pieces of software using openGL and such.
    since you seem so knowledgeable in the area, make something better. Windows has its problems, but really, would it be easier to switch to linux or afford a mac?

ha ha - yeah.

Sony isn't trying to make an OS as good as Microsoft. They simply are making the PS2 Run Linux. Now you can Debate whether or not Linux is as good as Windows or not.

As far as Linux being hard... It depends on what you are wanting to do and how you have it configured and your distro. Some Distros are super easy to install and use; such as http://www.lycoris.com/ while others like Debian http://www.debian.org are much harder. As far as getting support- You get that from the Vendor if you paid for your distro, most distros come with support as this is treally what you are paying for when you purchase a Linux Distro, otherwise you get it off chat rooms and BB if you snaged it for free.

I would say that probably 50% of Computer users, not the heavy Gamers and such but rather those users that basically use their computers to Word Process, do Spreadsheets, and Surf the Net, could switch to Lycoris and Open Office and not really be affected that much. To be honest most HS and College Writing Centers could make this Switch or new Writing Centers could be opened created with older PC's that would have endded up in the recycling bin as Microhog XPea and Office XPea has outdated quite a few such machines.

Anyhow I think its funny that the XBox was hacked so fast and think it is humourous to think of Linux running on one of them.

hacked so fast?? it was hacked by one MIT student.. not like everyone is doing it. And he didn't even run Linux on it.

He posted the method on his website... That isn't mentioned on the MSNBC article but was in the registers article and the ZD Net Article.

If you have ben following the XBox and it being Hacked... It was hacked within a week and the ROM image was posted until MS's lawyers had the site taken down. The XBox was hacked within a week.

What this guy has done is shown that all of the XBox Security can be compromised. It also leaves the user vulnarable.

It doesn't surprise me as Microsft and Security seem to be Mutually exclusive.

since you seem so knowledgeable in the area, make something better. Windows has its problems, but really, would it be easier to switch to linux or afford a mac?
    Macromedia will do it for me.
    Win an iMac

Macromedia will do it for me.
    Win an iMac

if you win. which, no offense or anything, is a slim chance because of how many people will be entering this contest.

Umm... You do realize that the IMac Indigo is a $799 machine and the new Emac sells for $1099? http://www.apple.com/emac/

$1099 for a complete system with an up to date processor (G4), with 5 USB Ports, twin Firewire ports, 802.11b airport network card, CD RW, and Eathernet built in is actually probably less than what you will pay for a simular PC after you take into account for the Monitor. Sure you can buy a Dell for $799 but it only comes with 1 USB port, No Firewire, No Eathernet Card, No 802.11b compatible device, no CD RW, and the Monitor isn't included. If you figure in the time and cost to upgrade the Dell to the same features as the Emac and throw in the Monitor then you actually SAVE money by buying a MAC.