A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

it's too late Anna Banana.. ur blacklisted by MM. LOL

Haha, Ooooh Noooo!

(Later Edit)

Uh, okay, I didn't realize that he actually put that in his blog. Here I am...ticked off at Ed because I thought those comments came from him. Sorry Ed!

Alright, well that's just ridiculous. Now I'm the big jerk on FK who bashed Macromedia blogs. Nice. Thanks JD.

Since I'm bashing...maybe someone should add that not only do they want to do them, they're extremely defensive of them, and have absolutely no sense of humor surrounding them.

Hopefully you'll understand, I'm a little less than happy about that quote, regardless of the name it's under.

[Edited by Anna Banana on 06-15-2002 at 02:22 AM]

I was in a bit of a hurry, I should have made it more clear hwat I was on about... or at least used a quote.

I also thought your comments where a lighthearted, and laughed at the parrallel drawn, oh well. Let's just leave it at 5mins of fame

Since I'm bashing...maybe someone should add that not only do they want to do them, they're extremely defensive of them, and have absolutely no sense of humor surrounding them.
    LOL Love this thread!
    The Blogs are actually very useful. What remains to be seen is what happens if one of the Macromedia has a bad day at work... If they'd post something personal and not too suitable for Macromedia the 'Corporate Blogging Movement' could die quickly.

Then again, I feel that Macromedia is a company slightly different from i.e. Adobe. Macromedia seems able to adjust focus quickly and it seems like a nice place to work. Companies like Adobe seem like big, stiff, giant corporations that have forgotten how to invent new, cool and exciting stuff. They're now focusing more on corporate customers instead of the creative customers that actually built the company.

Originally posted by Anna Banana
    I wouldn't take it too personally - it seems like it's the trendy thing to do to pick on Flashkit.

I personally am thrilled to be a part of a site where people aren't afraid to have an opinion about these things, and don't have to kiss any @$$ for fear of not getting a reciprocal link - guess that's what happens when your site is popular enough to sustain itself like FK.

Originally posted by CNO

I wouldn't take it too personally - it seems like it's the trendy thing to do to pick on Flashkit.

I personally am thrilled to be a part of a site where people aren't afraid to have an opinion about these things, and don't have to kiss any @$$ for fear of not getting a reciprocal link - guess that's what happens when your site is popular enough to sustain itself like FK.
    ah yes ! One of the greatest advantages hanging around here in this yellow place is that it is so refreshing and BS- free

i sure hope it stays that way and i'll be here for as long as it does !

And no i dont check Blogs -- i dont have time to read the same news stories over and over again

a

The Minister of No Crap

Well, Snowdude isn't the person to say that Macromedia was requiring their employees (actually managers/top guys) to start blogs. This rumor has got to be coming from somewhere.

Any ideas?

-scott

My biggest issue was with the fact that JD thought it pertinent to say that you should not respect the opinion of someone who does not use their own name when posting - does this mean that he also looks down upon people who post in the Macromedia web forums with silly names like 'Newsgroup User'? The very same people and posts he often quotes in his blog? It would discredit a lot of what he has written on there if so...

THIS IS WHERE IT STARTED!!

Originally posted by CNO
    My biggest issue was with the fact that JD thought it pertinent to say that you should not respect the opinion of someone who does not use their own name when posting - does this mean that he also looks down upon people who post in the Macromedia web forums with silly names like 'Newsgroup User'? The very same people and posts he often quotes in his blog? It would discredit a lot of what he has written on there if so...
    CNO,

This is the part of the article to which snowdude was referring, and which led him to believe (and me) that, if not all, at least some of the blogs are Macromedia Sponsored...
    Macromedia gets a C+ in the latter regard. As a Wired online article and Megnut.com blogger Meg Hourihan pointed out, the affiliation of Macromedia's blogs with the company was a little vague and possibly misleading. You can kind of figure out that the Macromedia blogs are corporate-sponsored, but there should be fuller disclosure.

Macromedia's bloggers want to have it both ways. They don't want to be seen as shills. At the same time, they are loath to bite the hand that feeds them. As one Macromedia manager told me, he would never criticize the company or tout a competitor's products on his blog, "or I'd probably be fired."

Complicating the situation, a number of independent Macromedia-oriented blogs also exist, raising suspicions from the ever-cynical Web community that corporations may try to co-opt independent blogs. I tend to doubt it. Web users are pretty savvy at defending their turf.
    [full article here]
    From what the article's author states, it does sound like at least some of the blogs are sponsored by the company. Mike Chambers, at least, stated on this board that his blog is not sponsored by the company... or that's the way I've interpreted it.

So, what is the real truth here, Mike? Are there any Macromedia Corporate sponsored blogs?

And in case anyone is interested...

From Dictionary.com
    shill Pronunciation Key (shil) Slang
    n.
    One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.

Jay

ok. lets see if i can clarify this.

the community managers at macromedia:

myself (flash)
    john dowdell (*)
    matt brown (dreamweaver)
    vernon viehe (coldfusion)
    bob tartar (director)

wanted to set up weblogs as a way to better communicate with the community (see my earlier posts on this thread).

so we drove an initiative within macromedia to get permission to do them as an experiment (for the MX launch). we were not sure if anyone would read them, or if they would be useful.

well, they have been very useful and a lot of people have read them (a lot more than we though).

anyways, i maintain my weblog as part of my job at macromedia, but i am not forced / required to do it. but to be honest, i enjoy it and it makes my job easier.

as far as the seattle times article, i don't really know what they based any of their info on since they didn't interview anyone from macromedia.

here are the links to the megnut article(s) in order:

http://www.megnut.com/archive.asp?wh...e.inc#20020509
    http://www.megnut.com/archive.asp?wh...inc#20020509.1

in the first item she is a little critical because we didn't make it clear at first that we were from macromedia. we fixed this as soon as it was brought to our attention.

originally we only expected people in the flash / macromedia community to read the weblogs, and those people would know who we were.

anyways, the second link is an addition she made to the first post on the same day.

however, the settle times reporter didnt bother to mention the second post (or contact anyone from macromedia).

so:

1. we are not required to do these. if you check all of the blogs, you will see some are updated more than others.

2. we are not trying to mislead anyone. it clearly states at the top of my weblog that i am the flash community manager with macromedia.

hope that helps...

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

Originally posted by Aria
    And no i dont check Blogs -- i dont have time to read the same news stories over and over again
    lol - yes you read 1 you read them all.. and follow the link after the blurb back to MM.

http://www.megnut.com/archive.asp?wh...e.inc#20020509
    http://www.megnut.com/archive.asp?wh...inc#20020509.1
    in the first item she is a little critical because we didn't make it clear at first that we were from macromedia. we fixed this as soon as it was brought to our attention.
    Good links to read over.

From above link:
    In reality, their implementation seems a little strange to me -- they've got their community managers blogging on Radio and BlogSpot blogs hosted elsewhere, not on Macromedia.com. In fact there's a quote from vice president in charge of developer relations which states, "Would it have been a true blog if we put it on Macromedia.com? Not really." I don't understand how a blog is considered a blog based on its location (as opposed to its format or content). It seems like a mistake to me to separate the weblogs from the corporate site for two reasons: 1) Macromedia employees are doing the writing, 2) it's hard for people to find them if they're not on Macromedia's site.
    I agree with this - Why are they seperate?

Why not just set something up like http://blogs.macromedia.com - then have a list of the community managers?

Originally posted by snowdude

Why not just set something up like http://blogs.macromedia.com - then have a list of the community managers?

[/B]
    initially we decided to not host them on macromedia.com for two reasons:

1. we were not sure how long we were going to do them.

2. we wanted to get them up fast, and with all of the MX announcements and releases, we could not get the IT resources to set up a new server in the time frame we needed.

we have been considering moving to macromedia.com, but now we have the problem that so many people / sites / google link to our existing sites and items, that it would break a lot of those links.

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

fyi:

there is an article on the macromedia weblogs today, talking about weblogs and marketting. you can find a link to it, as well as a small correction at:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0106797/2002/06/17.html#a141

mike chambers

mesh@macromedia.com

Hi Mike,

this seems to be one of today's best jokes:
    we could not get the IT resources to set up a new server in the time frame we needed.
    I have a pretty good idea about setting up a server running a server OS, and you must have been very demanding then.

Musicman