A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Still Having Problems with Transparents

Try copying and pasting. It works for me sometimes.

------------------
    Eric Emmons
    Merrill Lynch
    User Interface Design
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000094.swf" quality=high WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Pixel Ninja

Smile

Well, I've figured out that if I create a transparent image in Photoshop, I simply make the default background colour of that image the exact same as the background colour of my movie. (big breath) And that works perfectly.

So much confusion over something so simple.

bluehaus.

------------------
    "Quit taking life so seriously... you'll never make it out alive!"

Pixel Ninja

Hello,

I've read numerous posts on many newsgroups about transparent images. Some say create a gif and make the bg colour 0 (like in a recent post here) and others say png is the way to go! Well, maybe it's to many different suggestions but I'm lost. What I've tried to do is bring in the my image (this case a phone) shape as a path from illustrator. Then I brought in the pict or ping of the whole image, broke it up (cntrl+b) and eyedropped it. The image then becomes a fill colour that you can paint bucket into any shape you want. The "Transform Fill" button (at the bottom of the toolbar when the bucket is
    selected) allows you to move the fill around inside the object- sort of like a paste inside in Freehand if you're familiar with that. Sounds good huh? Well, I'm still stuck at the first part. Bringing in my paths from Illustrator. Everything else is easy. For some reason my paths aren't importing.

Any suggestions out there for me?

Thanks for your time,
    bluehaus

------------------
    "Quit taking life so seriously... you'll never make it out alive!"

The benefits of PNG are that you can have a gradient transparency and 24 bit color with a small file size.

Imports from Illustrator have to be version 7 or earlier, which sometimes makes colors go all weird in Flash. but that's easy enough to work around if your path(s) aren't too complicated.

To actually make the areas of your image transparent in Photoshop and thus in Flash:

Select the background color with the wand, select inverse. Go to the Channels Tab>New Channel (this will be the alpha channel) and then fill your selection with white.

[before you fill, you might want to contract the mask by 1 or 2 pixels, just to be sure you dont get a halo]

make sure your image is flattened, then either:

Image>Mode>Index color for GIFs
    File>export as GIF89a to preserve transparency, there will be a pulldown that will let you select Alpha ->save.

or

Save As PNG, which will automatically save the alpha information.

------------------
    _chris___